Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe Ollie growled at me when I took his flossie away. He has never shown any aggression. I took it away for a bit and gave it back for about 5 min. and took it away again....little growl. Now I'm giving it back for a few minutes and taking it away to let him know growling isn't acceptable. Does this sound like a plan or should I do something else?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
thats resource guarding and not uncommon with highly coveted objects (or people, food) like flossies. i think the best way to treat this is to "trade" for something even higher value, especially like real food, a good stinky cheese (mine love romano and parmesan) or hot dog or boiled chicken or a piece of cooked bacon or a small bit of leftover steak. practice this a few times with treats and eventually you can "fade" the treats (but still give treats occassionally for a trade).

another way to help him see YOU as the source of all good (including flossies) is to hand feed him each piece of kibble. have him sit, down, stand, high five or something for each bite. also, don't keep toys on the floor for him to play with whenever he wants, YOU bring out the toy and initiate play. this is all based on the philosophy "nothing in life is free" or NILF.

also, when they are attached to something like a flossie, thats a good opportunity to practice your recalls. the flossie is a great distraction. you might need to work up to this by having him do reliable recall without distractions first.

hth and good luck with your little boy!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tami -- thank you! Right now the Flossie is put up....will take it out tomorrow and start working on getting it away from him.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There is a great book called Mine! by Jean Donaldson. I highly recommend it. A dog who resource guards and is only worked with 1 resource (ie. you work with the flossie) may still do the same behavior with other objects/places/people. It is important to work through the whole program which the book will help you with.
NILIF is great, but I would also work on this problem specifically with a broader context.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have put all his toys up and will give them to him so he doesn't have them whenever he wants, but when I say so. Today I have my little granddaughter so it's a bit hard to practice. Am working on her being "easy and gentle" with Ollie. He just looks at her like "geez, would you just let me take a nap"!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have put all his toys up and will give them to him so he doesn't have them whenever he wants, but when I say so. Today I have my little granddaughter so it's a bit hard to practice. Am working on her being "easy and gentle" with Ollie. He just looks at her like "geez, would you just let me take a nap"!!
I would not let your granddaughter and Ollie interact until you get his behavior under control. Even a little Maltese can do serious damage to a child's face.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I stay right next to Ollie when granddaughter is here. It does concern me that he may snap, but I don't want to keep him in his crate all day long. So far he has just tried to find the best place to keep away from her which I like. He'll crawl up on me or behind me. My 4.y.o. granddaugher is very gentle with him and he loves her...curls up next to her to sleep! They have a BIG boxer who is like a gentle giant...he and Ollie play together. I will make sure I keep the grandkids and Ollie apart as much as possible. He did much better today with me giving him toys. Youngest granddaughter gives him her giant legos to chew on...which I take away!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts