Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes really HATE the area I'm in. :angry: I'm in the middle of PuppyMill He$$. The Amish look at dogs as livestock, even if they aren't a puppymill. I just had an Amish lady come in who was looking for something to kill fleas in their house. Her FOURTEEN year old toy poodle is at the groomer, who will treat her for fleas while she's there, and wanted to breed her! So the lady left her with the groomer! Now the groomer is NOT Amish. I was just speechless. I told the lady to please check with her vet before letting this woman breed her. This poodle has been a family pet in their home her whole life. She said the groomer 'looked her over' and said she would be fine. Yeah right, like a groomer is a vet and really knows...let alone has the poodles best interest at heart. I'm so mad right now I want to call this groomer and rake her over the coals!!! I let this woman know how dangerous I felt this would be for her poodle and at what age most reputable breeders retire their dogs. I even went so far as to say "shame on your groomer!". Needless to say, I don't think this lady or the groomer will ever step foot in my store again.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
I just don't get it when people think of animals as objects....even if you aren't a pet person, you can still be compassionate.

So frustrating .... if you had info on hand, you could quickly give her a handout or leaflet on the topic and ask her to read it ... although you would have to have a ton of different ones, (unfortunately) because you don't know what you are going to hear next.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I didn't realize that dogs didn't go into menopause. :( seems unlikely that she will get pregnant at that age though. Hopefully.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
It might get pregnant but I doubt it will carry to term. Pregnancy is hard enough when you're a younger dog... So sad and so sick and beyond ignorant!

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Could you have a little sign in your front window....."Don't buy from Pet Stores, BYB'S or Puppy Mills, we support Spay and Neuter".

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could you have a little sign in your front window....."Don't buy from Pet Stores, BYB'S or Puppy Mills, we support Spay and Neuter".
There are so many signs that I want to put up. I have a good 4 foot space above my slat walls to my ceiling that I would love to put up huge informational posters like the circle with a slash through it over PuppyMills, what to look for in a reputable breeder, about dispelling the myth that it's healthier NOT to spay/neuter, reputable breeders sell with a 1-2 yr genetic health guarantee, reputable breeders don't sell toy breeds before they are 12 weeks old, it's illegal to sell puppies in the state of Indiana before they are 8 weeks old.... But I have to be careful. There are some pretty huge puppy mills and byb's around here that don't like me at all and are trying to do things to hurt my business.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
I've never hear dof "not spaying or neutering " as unhealthy for a pet.It might be unhealthy for puppymills and BYB's. That's new one on me. Maybe it's the way they neuter that's unhealthy. I live in Ohio,farm country. Their neutering tools are a sharp razor blade and Lysol! If ti's a cat,add in an old boot to stick their head in while they neuter...:angry:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts