Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of background. I have a 14 yo min Poodle who doesn't hear well and has PRA, but still has a little sight he's been a good boy. When I brought Spookie home he was not thrilled with her and with a lot of growing and an occasional snap he finally convinced her to leave him alone.

Now she doesn't want him anywhere near me, her toys, food, she is growling and snarling at him, just because he's breathing! I tell her she is a BAD girl, but don't know what else to do. This has just started and I don't know why

Help please!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Barb, I am no animal behavior expert, but I don't want you to think no one is reading your post, so I'll give it my best shot.
At 14 years, your old boy is set in his ways. Maybe Spookie realizes that he is "weak" and wants to push him out of your affection.
I would continue to shower both of them with time and attention,and limit any unneeded interaction between the two. At his age, he deserves peace and quiet.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
308 Posts
You probably need to nip this in the bud ASAP because it will only get worse..If the young one is the possessive one you should get her to a good trainer or behaviorist right away, because the behavior could get worse..This is the way it could go, she could start doing this to anyone that gets near you or anyone, like a child that might pick up one of her toys, or get near her food bowl.This behavior could translate to humans very quickly. If you let this continue she will only get worse, and the longer you wait the less chance of correcting it..I hope I've read this correctly and it's the girl snapping at the old boy...If it's the other way around then seperate them as much as possible because you don't want the young one to be emotionally harmed for life...If you allow this to continue it could be bad for both dogs and your family.. Please seek out professiona lhelp..If you catch it early enough it can be corrected..If you wait, not so much...

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I don't have any advice but I would probably get a trainer to help with this as the others have mentioned- especially as it has just started. Good luck.

·
Registered
574 Posts
A bit of background. I have a 14 yo min Poodle who doesn't hear well and has PRA, but still has a little sight he's been a good boy. When I brought Spookie home he was not thrilled with her and with a lot of growing and an occasional snap he finally convinced her to leave him alone.

Now she doesn't want him anywhere near me, her toys, food, she is growling and snarling at him, just because he's breathing! I tell her she is a BAD girl, but don't know what else to do. This has just started and I don't know why

Help please!
Hi Barb... I agree with the others, you need to keep them separated and give your poodle space.

Many people think it is ok to let older dogs "correct" puppies. We have a rescue dog right now, at the clinic, that is dog agressive because this is how she was raised. This is probably your problem, as well. ALWAYS keep puppies away from older dogs when you first bring them home and slowly, I mean SLOWLY, integrate them together. 5 min at a time, a couple times a day at first. For the rest of the time, behind xpens and babygates. You will build a beautiful household like this.

I imagine, in her puppiness, initially, he got sick of her, well, just being a puppy! If he can't see well, due to PRA and he also probably sleeps alot, so when she came up to him, he probably growled and snapped at her because she startled him and now, she doesn't trust him, anymore than he trusts her.

Separate them. Let him live out her days in peace. That would be like putting young grandbabies with a grandfather in the nursing home, hours and hours on end. Uh, that wouldn't turn out well either, I'm afraid :)

If you keep them separate, then eventually, you won't have the growling. She will learn, he's no longer a threat, possibly a perceived threat, but one none the less. If you don't, then you need to get a person who understands behavior, into the house (not a dog trainer, a behaviorist) to help counter condition and desensitize the situation. NO corrections at all...that will make it WAY worse, trust me. Saying "No" only adds to the adrenaline rush and association of the issue at hand. (she will now associating corrections from you, whenever your poodles comes around).

I'm glad you are concerned, Barb and took the time to ask. I know you want what is best for your babies.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The poodle was a rescue, had been badly abused before we got him. It was so sad to see him like that. At that time my Aussie was alive and they got along well for 13 years. My grand doggies were here too and everybody was ok. All 6 of them. Then some went to the Bridge, and 2 just moved. Rooney never learned how to really be around other dogs because of the earlier abuse.

Vulfie(theAussie) went to the Bridge last Sept so Rooney was an only till Jan. I brought Spookie home and Rooney tried in his way to tell her to leave him alone.

Spookie knows she is cute and thinks everybody should love her, even at the dog park with new friends it works.

That's pretty much why I don't understand this new aggression towards Rooney. Who ever said she sees him as weak may be on to it. He is going down hill some.

How do I find a behavior specalist? I'm going to call my vet tomorrow to discuss this, do vets know of these people?

My grand kids stayed the night and I didn't see anything unusual with them or her

thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts