Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... it wasn't intentional and she got REALLY scared right after she did it... but... she did...

So our youngest ALWAYS has something in her mouth... either her woobie, a bone, a piece of rawhide, a toy, something... and we usually play this game where I will pull stuff out of her mouth.

So she had a rawhide strip in her mouth last night and I stuck my thumb and forefinger in there and she bit down... bottom of my thumb is brused and the top she broke the skin,.. pretty deep... I didn't even know she had the strength... LOL ..

She's all up on her shots, so I wasn't really worried, but more than a little shocked, of course she was doing the cowering and licking thing as soon as she realized what happened, but how could I be mad at her. ;P

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
<_<
Well if Gucci and Toby and Wally are so sweet and asking for forgiveness what is wrong with Brinkley?
He bit me/snapped at me twice at puppy class Sat. when I would not let him get to another dog to bite/snap at them. The first time he paused and looked at me like uh-oh..I grabbed him by the muzzle looked right into his eyes and said-"no bite!"
The second time I was even more stern. He did not break the skin either time...but they were both mean snaps. I was very disappointed in him.
He has bit us playfully when we are messing with him on the floor and broke skin with those little puppy teeth nipping. But this was completely different. He meant to bite Saturday.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Geez I also thought it was a bad intentional bite when I read the title...very glad it was just a puppy too caught up in the game
. Caesar also likes to play the get stuff out of his mouth game. Well, its a tug of war, then we try to get it out of his mouth with our fingers. He has accidently bit us a couple times trying to 'keep hold of his toy', and we will jerk back and say ouch. He has never broke the skin on us, but it can still hurt sometimes. He does feel bad afterwards and gives kisses to try to make up.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
[I think I posted this is the wrong place the other day.]

Noelle did growl and snap at us the other day for the first time. She had a chew bone and I reached down to take it away from her and she growled and snapped. I got my hand out of the way quickly ... but it REALLY suprised me. We usually hold the chew bone while she is chewing on it and this nevers happens. This time she had the bone all to herself and that's when she misbehaved. I immediately told her NO! loudly and picked her up and put her in "time out" behind her gate [which doesn't seem to bother her one little bit - she plays very well by herself!]. She has done this a couple more times and did break the skin in my hand and in my husband's hand. It is so startling to experience this.

I'm hoping someone will tell me this is just a phase she's going through.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I think you should work with Gucci and that particular piece of treat. Giving it to her and taking it away from her so you are reinforcing that you are in control. It certain sounds like she didn't mean to do it, but her instinct took over from her rational puppy thoughts. I hope your fingers feel better!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
[I think I posted this is the wrong place the other day.]

Noelle did growl and snap at us the other day for the first time. She had a chew bone and I reached down to take it away from her and she growled and snapped. I got my hand out of the way quickly ... but it REALLY suprised me. We usually hold the chew bone while she is chewing on it and this nevers happens. This time she had the bone all to herself and that's when she misbehaved. I immediately told her NO! loudly and picked her up and put her in "time out" behind her gate [which doesn't seem to bother her one little bit - she plays very well by herself!]. She has done this a couple more times and did break the skin in my hand and in my husband's hand. It is so startling to experience this.

I'm hoping someone will tell me this is just a phase she's going through.[/B]
I hope it was'nt too sore, but i think you need to nip this in the bud now!

She needs to know that you are the ALPHA and not her. I read that you should growl/bark back at them to let them know that you are not happy.

I know it sounds silly but it worked with mine. Try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
699 Posts
We are taking Princess to puppy school and our first class was to train Bite Inhibition. The instructor said when dogs play and they yelp and bark they are letting eachother know if the playing is too harsh or not. We should do the same..... give them our hands to chew and when they bite slightly hard.. ... give a Loud Yell!! it tells them that "that hurts, you've gone too far" let them play with her hand some more and yell again when the pressure is too much, the pressure should eventually be a slight bite, like teeth barely pressing down. They will eventually learn not to bite hard and learn to inhibit biting if our hands are anywhere near thier mouth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts