Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove to Chicago and arrived at 11pm my time (10 local)...with sister in law in tow. We didn't get to sleep until 2am and got up at 430 as we had to be at the studios by 7am.
OMG who coulda slept anyway?! I WAS GOING TO SEE RICKY!
OMG, good thing my SIL was there to keep me from fainting, throwing up,peeing my pants and just plain losing it.
He talked about his charity and his visit to Thailand and all about the orphaned children. He said there are over 3400 bodies still not claimed in the morgues.
how sad. He went into the morgues and he said that he will never be the same again. He talked about a man who paid over 10K to have sex w/ a 5 month old baby... :eek: Can you imagine?! This is what his foundation (peopleforchildren.org) is raising money for. To get these kids out of harm's way and keep them safe from these pedophiles. They are going to Thailand and taking the kids and selling them for sex and for illegal adoption. The whole show was quite sullen and it was hard to contain myself w/ Ricky sitting there in front of me
Anyhow, Lisa Ling was there too, she did a piece on women getting raped in the Congo...it was quite moving as well. They both stuck around and did the "after show" stuff.
Ok, she didn't shake everyone's hand and I didnt' get a chance to ask her about anything but I did spot Ricky behind us( I knew there was a benefit to sitting near the top!)....and I got to ask him a question!

oh ya..EDITED TO ADD...I went to see Oprah! ROFLMAO forgot about her, I was so excited about seeing Ricky

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
that is sooo crazy! and upsetting! im glad you had fun, but those stories made want to vomit
i really hope ricky martins foundation gets going

how'd you get in? did you do stand by? who's lisa ling??

i hope you go see oprah again

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The generosity of Ricky's official fan club had 2 tickets for me if I wanted them(Oprah's people called them and said they had more than they thought). I was in torment b/c I didn't know who'd go ..but my Sis in law came through and dropped all and left for Chicago w/ me. Our hotel was beautiful..The Palmer House Hilton.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am SO jealous that you were on OPRAH!!!!!!!!
I LOVE Oprah!!!!!
Anyway...congrats to you!
Glad you got to see Ricky. Isn't Lisa Ling the girl off of The View? I like her if so.

The stories you told about are awful! I told hubby that I would love to adopt one of those poor precious babies...I cannot even imagine the evil things that go on in some people's heads! A FIVE MONTH OLD BABY!?!? SICK!!! Nothing but the devil at work!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 18 2005, 10:27 PM
I LOVE Oprah!!!!!
Glad you got to see Ricky. Isn't Lisa Ling the girl off of The View? I like her if so.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30249
[/QUOTE]

I'm jealous too!!!!!!!!! I am so happy you went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Lisa Ling is the old View girl

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 18 2005, 09:27 PM
I LOVE Oprah!!!!!

The stories you told about are awful! I told hubby that I would love to adopt one of those poor precious babies...I cannot even imagine the evil things that go on in some people's heads! A FIVE MONTH OLD BABY!?!? SICK!!! Nothing but the devil at work!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30249
[/QUOTE]

ya it is quite sad. I love Oprah too! I was so excited getting ready this morning I was dancing in the shower singing "I'm going to Oprah...gonna see Ricky...gonna go to Oprah, seeing Ricky"

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am so jealous of you. you got to see Ricky Marting live....
......I love ricky martin! he is soooooooooooooooooooooFINE

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by ilove_d&m@Jan 19 2005, 11:27 AM
I am so jealous of you. you got to see Ricky Marting live....
......I love ricky martin! he is soooooooooooooooooooooFINE

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30327
[/QUOTE]

lol the show airs next Monday ...subject to change of course.

let me see if I can get my experience posted somehow...

I'll try in little bits, maybe it didn't like my long post..? (it has references to other fan club members...)

Whew...Since Gloria and Wendy gave reports as to the content, I'll just add my personal experience on going. I must say that driving to Chicago from my little Hicktown didn't seem that bad. I arrived in Chicago late(11pm my time) and I was VERY thrilled to get into my hotel room (btw, The Palmer House Hilton is GORGEOUS and I highly recommend it...I stayed in the Executive Level..many perks and only 129 for one night). Upon entering, I was even MORE thrilled to find out Chicago was an hour behind my time at home. So I gained an hour! I was thinking I was going to get another hour of sleep now THAT'S funny. I ended up falling asleep around 2am. I got up at 430am so I could have enough time to grab some grub before heading to Harpo. I will confess, as I was showering I sang "I'm going to OOOOOOOOprah...gonna see Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" Anyhow, got into a cab and headed over to Harpo. Ok, so how freaky is this? I got there in line...and I turn around and guess who walks up behind me? SUE(loca4pook). How frigging weird is that?!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyhow, we were corralled inside the little heated tent/walk way. It was very odd, I didn't know what to be more excited about...Oprah or Ricky So, we get in and we had to fill out cards about ourselves and also about what we'd like to ask Ricky. I convinced Sally Lou *cough cough* oops Sue to fill one out. I kinda hoped she didn't get picked just b/c she did NOT really want to stand up on camera and ask something! Sorry Sue, but if fate made it happen, you could have done it! So we got into the studio and had a slim choice of where to sit but I personally was thrilled w/ my seat selection. I was there! Who cared where I sat?! So the audience was warmed up by the REAL Sally Lou. We were entertained by stories of how people got their tickets..that dude from Buffalo was hilarious...dancing and telling how he got tix for his girlfriend. Anyway, the anticipation of Ricky coming out was beyond overwhelming for me. I've been close to him, 5th row at a concert, but never THIS close in such an intimate environment. Even though we were in the "back" it was STILL quite close and you could see his face and expressions in his eyes quite well. You even got to see him tear up a bit...that was hard for me to watch but that story will come in a bit.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oprah came out and lordy I was screaming and jumping(sorry Sue) It was hard to contain myself. I was at OPRAH! So nearly immediately she introduced Ricky and lordy did the man get a welcome! I wondered how long they were going to let us clap b/c we did so for so long. He kinda "encouraged" us by motioning for more(with an impish grin on his face I might add). We screamed some more. I had plenty of it in me, eh Sue? Whew, all dressed in black, Ricky looked quite handsome. For the record, he shaved his goatee which I am *still* convinced he did for me! We all settled in quickly and honestly, I found it hard to watch the footage and listen to Ricky talk about things and not feel bad for being so happy to be there. I was torn between elation and complete and utter sadness for what he was discussing w/ Oprah. I will not go into any detail about what was shown as it has already been done so. Like everyone said, there were many gasps at information given, tears shed and just complete sadness felt by everyone that I saw. Ricky was very very eloquent with his speaking. Listening to his voice...so calming to me even though he wasn't singing. It's so soothing.

In between segments, he and Oprah would chat a bit. It was nice to see him in a different manner than a concert. I am so proud of him. It definitely was a great experience for me and I think for those who had no clue that Ricky was involved in such projects. As he watched the footage that was taped by him and Oprah's people, you saw a HUGE mix of emotions. As he saw himself holding the babies...you could see his eyes shine and the smile on his face let us know how he felt. When he was dressed to go into the morgue, I knew what was going to happen. Ricky's reactions and responses will stay w/ me forever. At a certain point, you could see him tearing up. It was heart wrenching for me. Oprah said, the numbers make us numb...think of it this way..(we saw a segment of a father's story about losing his 7 yr old son while there)...think of that father's story(which was very very touching)...multiply that emotion, that much sadness by 160,000....how powerful is that?! I want to say that the segments were very hard to watch. Especially Lisa's. They were quite graphic at some points. After all of the taping for the regular show was over, they brought out another chair so that 3 people were able to sit together. We knew that Ricky was coming back out(he didn't sit out there for Lisa's segment). We were told earlier that an "aftershow" wasn't always possible so I just prayed we would be blessed with it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have more to add but the server is not cooperating w/ me...sorry...I'll add more later...

·
Registered
707 Posts
He's such an awesome person. I've been a fan of his since he was in Menudo. I grew up in Puerto Rico so I used to go to their tapings since I was like 5 years old. I actually got to meet his younger brother here in Miami and we hung out and danced and
I figured this was the closest I was going to get to Ricky. He looks just like Ricky and dances just like him too...yum, yum, yum!!! We were gonna go out again but I got back with my ex so I didn't. How stupid that was.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, he is an awesome person. Not many people realize all he does for the poor and the children in PR and around the world.

Trying to add more of my post here..wish me luck!

We were not disappointed. I kinda felt bad for Lisa b/c Ricky got such a reaction... but hey, I wasn't going to NOT cheer for him b/c of that!!! So they chatted a bit about various things, Oprah's fans from prisons(that was hilarious...Ricky had some fun w/ that) and more talk about Ricky's charity and such. It was sad when it was time to leave. But...as Sue mentioned in her post...I did not give up on seeing Ricky behind us. As everyone was leaving the studio/stage area, I looked back and saw Ricky.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Lisa Ling use to be on The View. She is on another show or something. She does lots of investigative stuff...lol, I sound intelligent, huh? Anyway, she was on Oprah once talking about how she went into China and talked about these "death rooms" at orphans. They have so many girls in orphans and so little funded that sometimes they would leave, I believe, the sick ones in the "death room" until they pass on.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 19 2005, 12:08 PM
Lisa Ling use to be on The View.  She is on another show or something.  She does lots of investigative stuff...lol, I sound intelligent, huh?  Anyway, she was on Oprah once talking about how she went into China and talked about these "death rooms" at orphans.  They have so many girls in orphans and so little funded that sometimes they would leave, I believe, the sick ones in the "death room" until they pass on.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30342
[/QUOTE]

Lisa now does a program for Nat'l Geographic channel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts