Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Puddles is 20 months old and the past few weeks hes started to peee in the house. This week I put the gate up and leave him in the kitchen while were at work. He has not made any kind of mess while were gone, so I know its not a UTI. Purchased 2 rugs for him to lay on while on the tile floor and he's not messed them up also.

My problem is at night, I have a problem locking him up in the kitchen all alone. The other night I told him "get in your bed" and he went straight to his crate, which he had not slept in a while. I gave him his treat and covered the crate. All was find and he was quite. I lay in bed feeling like a bad mom, what if the house was to burn. He's way in the den and he nor I could get to each other. So, I went and let him out (his crate is to large for my bedroom).

How can I rid this guilt feeling of not allowing him to run free.

**I have been taking up his food and water around 8:30pm and our last potty run is 10:00pm.**

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I don't have this problem because Scooby sleeps with us in bed, why not put the crate in a room that is closer to your bedroom so he isn't so far away, if he is closed in his crate he won't pee in there and he will be closer to you and less of a guilt feeling. I took Scooby out at 9pm last night and he didn't get up till 7.30am this morning to go out potty, he will just lay in bed till we get up as a rule but this morning he just decided to sleep in even though we were up.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would find a way to have him sleep near you... He doesn't need a large crate at night to sleep in... maybe there is a small size that will fit in your room, or maybe use the crate instead of a night stand.... I just think it is so good for them to sleep in the room with us.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou sleeps in a carrier that I purchased at Wal-Mart with a pad and a blanket. I keep it under the night stand beside the bed and if I go anywhere I can take it with me or if I leave him with my adult children he can sleep there without upsetting his routine. I also like the carrier next to the bed because when he was little and made a noise I could just put my hand in front for comfort and it worked for us. I do own a crate but he hates being confined in it. He does go inside frequently but if you close the doors he goes crazy.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The puppy I have in the house right now sleeps in the other room in a crate at night. I leave the bedroom door open and can hear her if she gets up whining. She would whine in the bedroom whenever we moved. Try the bedroom first and you can always move him out of need be.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Nov 15 2005, 03:40 PM
The puppy I have in the house right now sleeps in the other room in a crate at night. I leave the bedroom door open and can hear her if she gets up whining. She would whine in the bedroom whenever we moved. Try the bedroom first and you can always move him out of need be.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119948
[/QUOTE]

JMM,

Do you have a new puppy? I am sorry -- I am just so nosey I can't help myself. Congrats if its your puppy.

Puddles' mom,

I don't think you should feel guilty about crating. We first started crating Miko probably when he was about 2 yrs of age and now he absolutely LOVES loves loves his crate. It makes it easy to take him to new places. He easily adjusts plus he is a joy to travel with and he will voluntarily sleep in his crate even with door open. So no guilt here about crating (I only wish I did it ealier)!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.