Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Casanova has always been an edge pee-er. :blink: It's one of his two faults that I wished I could change.

Finally, I broke down and got one of those pee pad holders (even though it doesn't go with our "decor"). And the first thing he does is pee on the edge of that. So now there is alot of pee on the plastic edge.:smpullhair:

Am I just going to be cleaning the edge of that plastic instead of cleaning the floor from now on? :blink: I'm thinking maybe it was easier just to clean the floor? Does it get better?

Are there any tricks to this? Once I read to put a plastic bottle in the middle of the pad and let him aim for that?! That sounded really moronic due to splatter effect....I thought about taking a red marker and making a bullseye in the middle of the pad....As you can see, I am willing to try anything!! Help!!!

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
What if you overlapped 2 pee pads, he may go for the edge in the middle. That's frustrating when they go on the edge, Jodi did this too (eventually he went outside) and I felt I might as well have no pad there at all.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awwww the little guy is perfect. I agree with Brenda, maybe try adding another pad, and over lap it. See if that will work.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
What kind of holder did you get? I got the one with 3 walls around it so Aolani has less edges to pee on, but of course every now and then he still has to pee on the edge. i try to catch him doing it and in the middle of his pee i will pick him up and put him closer to the middle of the pad.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, we have an edge pee-er at my house too!! I bought one of the pad holders with the hope that it would end Kodie's bad aim. Nope. No such luck. Tried putting a few extra pads underneath the holder with just a little tiny bit of the pad showing to hopefully "catch" any overflow, and nope, he would just try and stand on the very edge of the holder and aim for the wee bit of pad showing.:smpullhair: Next I tried overlapping a few pads over top of the holder to catch any spills and that has worked a little better. Thank God we have hardwood floors and not carpeting!! :blink: I am thinking of giving this a try though.....

Four Paws Wee-Wee Pad on Target Trainer at PETCO

·
Registered
425 Posts
What kind of holder did you get? I got the one with 3 walls around it so Aolani has less edges to pee on, but of course every now and then he still has to pee on the edge. i try to catch him doing it and in the middle of his pee i will pick him up and put him closer to the middle of the pad.
That sounds just like the one I am thinking of trying....is it by Four Paws? Right now I just have the flat one.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
Matilda also goes right next to the edge, :blink: she's had the whole pee pad and still goes on the edge. Lucky for me she only uses them at night.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
That sounds just like the one I am thinking of trying....is it by Four Paws? Right now I just have the flat one.

Yes, that's the one we have. I put it on top of some floor mats that I bought at home depot though I'm thinking of putting a vinyl floor on top of those mats as I think vinyl will be easier to clean and any pee that gets on the mat won't get on my floors (sometimes the pee goes through the crack of the mats so I have pee pads under the mats where they meet as well just in case). It's all about layering at my house.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a cheap shower curtain, cutting it in maybe 4ths, put the pee pad on that.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i hate when stu does this and in fact, when we travel, i have started hauling them out for potty breaks instead of using the pee pads because of this. anyway....i bet you can train him to go in the middle, but it would take constant watching of potty habits and treats. ;)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
i hate when stu does this and in fact, when we travel, i have started hauling them out for potty breaks instead of using the pee pads because of this. anyway....i bet you can train him to go in the middle, but it would take constant watching of potty habits and treats. ;)

Yep, it takes constant watching. Aolani has gotten a lot better and for about a week and a half I have not seen any edge peeing, but I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Iris Pad Holder. It does have different edges. You're right, I should just nudge him when he is on the edge.

Thanks for the great suggestions, Tami and everyone else!! I guess I really should just use treats to entice Casanova to go in the middle!! As much as it was bothering me, I don't know why I didn't think to do that....I just hated to interrupt him while he was peeing. He only circles 30 times....but I think I do need to try to train him out of the habit. I'll probably be wondering why I didn't do it earlier! I'll report back!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Frankie is an edge pee'er too. He is a leg lifter, so sometimes his aim is a little off. I am ordering one of these for him!

He does seem to like to aim at something, and this is scent enhanced.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the iris pad holder too, and ever since he turned 4 months old he has been putting his two front paws on the pee pad, and one of his hind legs on the carpet with his left leg sticking up (lifting his leg a bit) which causes all his pee to go on the plastic pee holder! It drives me nuts, but he only does it every now and then as he mostly squats still.. SIGH

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
"Thanks for the great suggestions, Tami and everyone else!! I guess I really should just use treats to entice Casanova to go in the middle!! As much as it was bothering me, I don't know why I didn't think to do that....I just hated to interrupt him while he was peeing. He only circles 30 times....but I think I do need to try to train him out of the habit. I'll probably be wondering why I didn't do it earlier! I'll report back"

I needed that laugh - you are a wonderful mom!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Frankie is an edge pee'er too. He is a leg lifter, so sometimes his aim is a little off. I am ordering one of these for him!

Amazon.com: THIS SCENTATTRACT FIRE HYDRANT: Kitchen & Dining

He does seem to like to aim at something, and this is scent enhanced.
Please let me know when you get it!! I would love to know if it works or not.

Take a 2 liter soda bottle and wrap a pee pad around it. Put that in the middle and see what you get.
Great idea about wrapping the soda bottle!! I'm kind of excited to see what's going to happen now that you put it that way. Hopefully the "see what you get" is not a prank. :HistericalSmiley:

"Thanks for the great suggestions, Tami and everyone else!! I guess I really should just use treats to entice Casanova to go in the middle!! As much as it was bothering me, I don't know why I didn't think to do that....I just hated to interrupt him while he was peeing. He only circles 30 times....but I think I do need to try to train him out of the habit. I'll probably be wondering why I didn't do it earlier! I'll report back"

I needed that laugh - you are a wonderful mom!
Allie, seriously I think 30 loops is underestimating....You'd think he doesn't really need to go, but then he always does....

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Tyler used to be more of an edge peer but he almost always hits the middle area now. In my bedroom I have two pads next to each other, overlapping a little. That might help...a bigger surface and sort of an edge. I don't use any frame at all. The thing I would worry about with the hydrant or coke bottle is that Tyler would lift his leg, like he does outdoors and that's far worse to me. He's a squatter in the house (squatter's rights :HistericalSmiley:) and a leg lifter outside. Treats might help the Cas man. Good luck!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I've heard of some using boot trays. They have a lip so that the dog has to step into the tray.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts