Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son was blowing bubbles with his chewing gum and Baxter decided to jump at one of the bubbles and got gum in his hair!! It wasn't much but while trying to get it out I pulled some hair out. It is right above his upper lip. I suppose if you were not looking for it, it is not as noticeable but it is VERY noticeable to me. Will it take long to grow back? It looks terrible.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Omg, aren't they just the funniest little guys? I wouldn't say it will take long to grow back, poor little guy, I bet he doesn't do that again in a hurry.

·
Registered
994 Posts
how about a few months ago maxi just was walking out of the gr0oming place and i took him for a walk it was hot out and he stepped on gum i felt like throwing myself on the ground i was so annoyed lol it was all in the pad of his back paw its so hard to get out
they should have a law like they do about poo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Use peanut butter next time. Simply apply it to the gum and rub gently. Something in the peanut butter breaks down the gum
(almost disolves it) and helps it come out. My sister used to get gum in her hair all the time when we were little and my mom used peanut butter a gazillion times on her!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I was going to say try peanut butter. The oil in the peanut butter dissolves the gum.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice!! Hope there is not a next time but at least I'll know what to use. Sure wish I would have asked before I took it upon myself to try and get it out. Now he has a little bald spot

·
Registered
285 Posts
this may sound disgusting but...

peanut butter gets gum out of hair.. it's gross and it smells but.. put a huge spoon on the spot where the gum is and it will come out.. just comb it out with your hands. aw you didn't have to trim your pups hair....

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Has anyone ever tried Goo Gone? You can get it at Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc. It is made to take the sticky residue off of things. For example, when you buy a glass and peel the label off, there is that tacky stuff that you just can't get off, well a little Goo Gone removes it. I swear by this stuff. I know it also can remove gum from carpets and so forth, so if the peanut butter doesn't work you can always try this. Oh and it smells pretty good too!

When I got married and unpacked everything from my shower, this stuff was a lifesaver. It saved me time, fingernails and frustration!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 3 2005, 01:52 PM
Has anyone ever tried Goo Gone?  You can get it at Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc.  It is made to take the sticky residue off of things.  For example, when you buy a glass and peel the label off, there is that tacky stuff that you just can't get off, well a little Goo Gone removes it.  I swear by this stuff.  I know it also can remove gum from carpets and so forth, so if the peanut butter doesn't work you can always try this.  Oh and it smells pretty good too!

When I got married and unpacked everything from my shower, this stuff was a lifesaver.  It saved me time, fingernails and frustration!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105753
[/QUOTE]
I tryed the goo and I think the peanut butter works better Summer had some on her upper lip one time she was trying to eat it :lol: ( found it on the ground
) Sorry malts can't chew
it was
Thank gosh I got it in time

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa+Oct 3 2005, 03:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Oct 3 2005, 01:52 PM
Has anyone ever tried Goo Gone?  You can get it at Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc.  It is made to take the sticky residue off of things.  For example, when you buy a glass and peel the label off, there is that tacky stuff that you just can't get off, well a little Goo Gone removes it.  I swear by this stuff.  I know it also can remove gum from carpets and so forth, so if the peanut butter doesn't work you can always try this.  Oh and it smells pretty good too!

When I got married and unpacked everything from my shower, this stuff was a lifesaver.  It saved me time, fingernails and frustration!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105753
I tryed the goo and I think the peanut butter works better Summer had some on her upper lip one time she was trying to eat it :lol: ( found it on the ground
) Sorry malts can't chew
it was
Thank gosh I got it in time
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105756
[/B][/QUOTE]
I've tried goo gone before one things with stickers. It works great. Never tried it on hair though.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would the Goo Gone be safe to use on their hair? Are there harsh chemicals or anything in it? Sadly we had another incident with gum. Baxter got a piece from my sons nightstand and tried to eat it. The peanut butter really did a good job getting it out. Gum is now BANNED from our home!!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Oct 3 2005, 05:35 PM
Would the Goo Gone be safe to use on their hair?  Are there harsh chemicals or anything in it?  Sadly we had another incident with gum.  Baxter got a piece from my sons nightstand and tried to eat it.  The peanut butter really did a good job getting it out.  Gum is now BANNED from our home!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105802
[/QUOTE]
I don't know what the chemicals in it are, but I would think it would be okay to put in the hair, remove the gum and the spot wash the area.

Here is a picture of the bottle...

I just looked up the ingredients and here they are:
Solvent naphtha, petroleum, heavy aliphatic
Terpenes and Terpenoids, type citrus oil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts