Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys this seems so menial after reading some of the posts about liver shunts.

For the last month Dixie has had some gunge in both eyes that is like like sleep and is on her pupil. Each day i have had to very carefully remove it like i would remove an eyelash from my own eye. I clean under her eyes anyway so it not too much of a problem.

I had put it down to the extreme winds that we have experienced in england over the last month but things are not as windy now and we are left with the problem. dixies sister has not had this problem, so i am left wondering if theres something wrong or if its ok? she is her normal self and not in any pain?

Any wise words?

Luv Bec & Dixie -_-

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
if u pull down her lower lid, is the pink tissue red? also is the "gunk" clear in color, or is it any shade or green or yellow? if u answered yes to any of this, then yes, bring her in. she could have conjunctivitis (just inflamation of the tissue of the eye) she could have KCS (keratoconjunctivitis sicca) which is a condition where the eye doesnt produce enough tears. your vet should perform a Schirmer tear test to check the tear production in the eyes. even though a dog had runny eyes they can still have this peoblem. if the gunk is colored there could be a slightly more advanced infection going on. and if u still are worried and havent answered yes to any of my questions, still brink her in. your vet might see something you can't.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sprites gunk is clear. and when gruffi had allergies(it was really bad..he needed steroids and antibiotics)..it was green and crusty. sprite gets it everyday now. i think its allergies. and i notice that when i clean it everyday, she doesnt get the tearstains. SOMETIMES i have to clean her eyes a few times a day. i hope its nothing serious that your baby has. good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chief gets gunky eyes too. His is more reddish like the color of staining. He has always done this. I just clean them every day. I didn't even think there might be something wrong :eek: . I hope not. I would like to change his food and have been looking around here for the chickensoup food. I can't find it. I was hoping that might do the trick and clear it up a little. His staining is not bad, and definitely from the gunk. Maybe this means he has dry eyes. I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hello, its clear gunk and her eye tissue looks pink and healthy to me. Will ask the vet because i need to go anyway because she keeps doing this wretching thing quite often.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts