Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've been in more than 1 discussion about owning guns, I was wondering if any of you ever had to defend yourself using a gun? Or what about any other weapons?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have never had to defend myself using a gun, or anything else for that matter. If necessary, I would defend myself or my family with ANYTHING required. I do have a concealed carrying permit, and have had one for years (comes from having lived alone on 33 acres out in the country for awhile), even though I do not like guns, or anything else violent.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by mee@May 31 2005, 04:10 PM
i dont own anything, no kind of weapon in my bag either..

i havent been attacked before either , but will be taking a self defense class within this year

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67299
[/QUOTE]
Same here. No weapons and have never been attacked. I did take a self defense thing my senior year of high school...so that was...OMG! 7 years ago! I've been thinking about taking another self defence class. I might see if one of my friends at work want to take it with me. Have to find one though.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
no guns in our house although I have been considering getting one, and I've never considered getting attacked, not too many out there would attack a 6'1" x 300# guy
but the world is getting crazier, so who knows

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Never had to defend myself also. But if you come in my house not invited, you better watch out. Hubby is a past deer hunter and loves to collect guns (28 of them unless hes sneaked more in). We have types from hand guns to some so large and heavy I can't handle them. We live in the country and target shot a lot. I can handle my hand gun very well if needed. My mother lives alone now (daddy died) and she also owns a hand gun with professional training.

I know some will shake there head while reading this. But times have gotten so bad, once needs to know what they will and can do to defend themselves. I have pepper spray in my purse, desk drawer and in the car.

(We have no children around to worry about handling the guns, some are locked).

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Personally I don't like guns and would rather not own one, I would be afraid a burglar might find it and use it on me knowing my luck :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
scoobydoo is right---they can use the gun against you.

try pepperspray or something like that. definitely take a course in self defense.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We have a handgun hidden somewhere...I have NEVER shot anything more than a water gun, and have no desire too!!!
Who needs a gun?!
I have a fierce watchdog!!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
No handguns for us. We have an alarm system that is monitored. We try to be cautious and watchful. We got our daughter a condo in a gated community and her unit also has an alarm system. Beyond that we just hope for the best. A little pepper spray is a good thing to carry and cell phones can be a god send.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
No gun or weapons here...and I never took any classes for self defense. I always wanted to get some mase.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I'm with you, Janet. Don't like guns. Too afraid an innocent person would be hurt by it. For my home safety, I have a security system which dispatches the police when tripped. While waiting for the police to arrive, I'm sure little Blind Billy would end up tripping the intruder by accident, like he does to me on a daily basis - Then the girls would take over and lick him to death!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@May 31 2005, 08:44 PM
We have a handgun hidden somewhere...I have NEVER shot anything more than a water gun, and have no desire too!!!
Who needs a gun?! 
I have a fierce watchdog!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67403
[/QUOTE]

I guess I should add that I live in a very small and safe town....so if I lived somewhere else, I might feel differently.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow...no one as been attacked? See, I wanna know if a person who's been attack would still say that they wouldnt keep a gun/weapon. I am planning on getting mace/pepper spray anyway, but you know, they can use that as a weapon against me as well!

And unlike Joe, I'm about 115 lbs, and 5'7. LOL.

I will definitely get window alarms and see if I can get a dead bolt lock to my door and get those "beware of dog" stickers. But if you are in my apt. unwelcomed, I think you deserve to be shot. I am not only protecting myself, but I'm protecting Cloud who will live with me.

I'm still thinking about the gun. I know my bf wants me to have one. I hope that I live with cool people who can contribute to my saftey.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
.....we have this security guard dog named Ruby who keeps danger away!!
(she thinks anyway!!)
We don't have a gun-I never wanted one when the kids were home-now we have grandkids.....so I'm a little nervous. Our son was at a friends house when he was showing off his dads gun and it went off--no one was hurt thank god - but it scared the H*** out of me.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We don't NEED any guns, or protection of any kind. Sisse let's us know when even a bird is in the yard ....sooooo....We can get ready because we can see them coming

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I was car-jacked while parked under the security light, up against my apartment building, one car removed from the sidewalk into the building, in a gated apartment complex at 7 p.m. with after-work traffic flowing all around me! I took all the precautions. I had my keys in one hand, my purse and shopping bag in the other before I opened the door but as soon as I stepped one foot out of the car he came up on me, stuck a gun in my cheek and said "Move over". Long story short, I didn't move over and talked him into just taking my new car and I forced myself past him and hauled my buns out of there as fast as I could run.

The car was found 3 weeks and 3,000 miles later overturned in a ditch, totaled, and littered with booze bottles, used (???) fireworks and some women's accessories (non-intimate, thank goodness) and drug evidence.

My roommate and I hied ourselves to the gun store and were outfitted with revolvers and shooting lessons and I have been licensed ever since. My favorite home-defense weapon is a shotgun......even behind closed doors the sound of "lock and load" of a shotgun will deter all except the absolutely suicidal.

I have no children at home and when the grandchildren come over we have a round-up and lock-up of all weapons and ammunition. We go to the range regularly to keep familiarized with our weapons.

You should not own a weapon you are not absolutely 100% positive you are willing to use on a human being, circumstances permitting. Those circumstances are outlined when you take the course for concealed permits. It's the knowing that you will use the weapon that should be the only criteria for owning it. That is not easily arrived at. I got there fast after the car-jacking when they guy wanted me to move over and go with him!

the b*****d!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
That is SO scary!
I am so glad that you are ok!!!! A car is nothing compared to your life....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts