Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys, i need help from any one that can give me an estimate of how much cherry eye surgery costs. I am asking this becasue i found a young male shihtzu at a pound but he has this and also conjuctivitis but conjuctivitis can be treated with eye drops so thats not a prob. Id like to save this little cutie but $$$$ is an issue so i need to know first you know i dont want to save him and then not have enough for his surgery u know what i mean.. Pleas let me know. Thank you all so much heres the link to see him if you like.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/pet/100092438.html

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
OH! He is very cute. Sorry can't help with estimates. I would recommend calling around to vets in your area to check prices. Vet costs can differ so much from one area to another.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Sep 26 2005, 01:22 PM
OH!  He is very cute.  Sorry can't help with estimates.  I would recommend calling around to vets in your area to check prices.  Vet costs can differ so much from one area to another.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103600
[/QUOTE]

Right, i called the vet i went to but the receptionist said she couldnt ask the doc bcuz the doc needs to see the animal and i told her that hes in the pound, and she said, she has to see him .

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, he is just tooo precious. If I were you I would call all the good vets in town and ask to speak to the clinic manager. I would tell her/him the situation and ask if they have a ballpark figure for the surgery and if they would offer a payment plan due to the circumstances. Perhaps your own vet would be the first place to start. I sure hope things can work out!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
A long time ago I had a cocker spaniel puppy who had cherry eye (they are
very known for this) and I believe the surgery cost about $100.
And then you have to deal with them wearing the collar around their head
so that they can't scratch at their eye. Considering the prices for some surgery's
this one by no means should BREAK anyone. Then again it could be different
in your area I guess too.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Lady had cherry eye surgery (both eyes) when I adopted her. My vet did the other eye as a precaution as she said often the other eyelid will pop out eventually, too, so it's best to do both while they are under anesthesia. My vet did it along with Lady's dental and it was only about $100 extra 5&1/2 years ago.

In answer to Nicole question about shelters taking care of health issues, a cherry eye is considered a cosmetic issue, not a health issue. Shelters in general usually just do the basic spay/neuter, shots, etc. Quite frankly, animals with serious/costly medical issues are simply euthanized.

That's why it's so wonderful to adopt from a rescue group like Northcentral Maltese where other health issues from basic dentals to luxating patella surgery are taken care of before a dog is placed in its forever home.

Just a word of caution on that note....

I know you want to save this guy, but perhaps you could contact a breed rescue and see if they could pull him from the shelter, rehab him, get him the medical attention he needs, and rehome him.

You mention that money is an issue and his cherry eye surgery may not be all that he needs. It is not unusual to spend hundreds of dollars in the first few months after adopting a shelter dog. I probably spent about $800 on Lady in the first 6 weeks after I adopted her just on her dental/cherry eye surgery, shots, bloodwork, etc. These rescues also often have behavior/training issues that require professional help - more $$$$.

This is not meant to discourage you, just give you advice from someone who has been there, done that. It's hard not to follow your heart, but in my "old age" I have accepted the fact that I can't save them all. Instead, I try to contact breed rescues when I find a purebred in a shelter situation and donate and support these rescue groups.

The perfect home may not always be with you, but it is just as gratifying to be one stepping stone towards finding that perfect home for an animal in need.

Here's a link to a national shih tsu rescue group:

http://www.usshihtzurescue.com/

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all so much for responding and helping me out. NOW i would like to let you guys know that the author who posted about the shihtzu where i got the # from has deleted the post i have no idea why??? So now the prob is that stupid ol sick 23yr old DID NOT WRITE DOWN THE # I JUST CALLED, DIALED THE # ON MY PHONE!!!!!!! im trying to look to see if i wrote it down anywhere but i cant seem to find it.
I cannot beleive this... Im going to try and call a shelter that i think is the place. I will let u guys know. And Ladys mom it is true what u said maybe my home wouldnt be the perfect home...
Alma

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 27 2005, 08:02 AM
In answer to Nicole question about shelters taking care of health issues, a cherry eye is considered a cosmetic issue, not a health issue. Shelters in general usually just do the basic spay/neuter, shots, etc. Quite frankly, animals with serious/costly medical issues are simply euthanized.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=103870
[/QUOTE]
I thought it was a serious condition. Thanks for the info.
However, it just looks gross, how could you let a dog live with that? That makes me sick to think that people let that go untreated!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by maltlover@Sep 27 2005, 03:01 PM
Thank you all so much for responding and helping me out. NOW i would like to let you guys know that the author who posted about the shihtzu where i got the # from has deleted the post i have no idea why??? So now the prob is that stupid ol sick 23yr old DID NOT WRITE DOWN THE # I JUST CALLED, DIALED THE # ON MY PHONE!!!!!!! im trying to look to see if i wrote it down anywhere but i cant seem to find it.
  I cannot beleive this... Im going to try and call a shelter that i think is the place. I will let u guys know. And Ladys mom it is true what u said maybe my home wouldnt be the perfect home...
Alma
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=104030
[/QUOTE]

They delete the posts when a dog or cat has been adopted. I'd guess this boy found a home.

Nicole, yes, cherry eye is gross! Lady's was just barely popped out, looked more like a stye.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts