Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.....

I wanted to see if anyone has this same experience. Lately our little Guy Oscar (8 months old now) makes a "hacking" type sound...you would almost thing something is stuck in his throat, but he is not eating or chewing on anything when he does it...my wife's mom says her Maltese does that and has done it over the past 12 years. He actually woke us up this morning at 4:00 AM making that sound, we have noticed it happens also when he is excited...anyone else experience this in the past...any feedback would be appreciated...

A.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nikki does this every so often (maybe once every week or two). She only does it for 10-15 seconds. It usually stops as soon as i rub my hand under her chin.

I would have the vet look at him if it is something that happens a lot. It could be a collapsed trachea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 18 2005, 02:36 PM
Nikki does this every so often (maybe once every week or two).  She only does it for 10-15 seconds.  It usually stops as soon as i rub my hand under her chin.

I would have the vet look at him if it is something that happens a lot.  It could be a collapsed trachea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120943
[/QUOTE]

We were thinking the same, but he does it the same about 10-15 seconds and then he is fine...and in the last week it has happened twice maybe

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Do you use a collar or a harness? If you use a collar I would switch to a harness that doesn't put any pressure on his neck. If you use a harness make sure it isn't one that puts pressure on his neck.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Actually, this sounds to me like the classic "Reverse Sneeze" that Jack does too. It's like a repetitive honking sound, for like 10 seconds...?

See this link

http://yorkieviews.com/reversesneezing.htm

Jack does this when he's super excited after running like mad for a while, or sometimes for no reason at all. Doesn't seem to do any harm to him

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Matilda does this a few times a day. I took her to our vet they did exrays and checked her for a collapsed trachea. The vet said it is like a reverse sneeze. The vet told me to slightly pinch her nose and make her breath from her mouth. Seems to work. I still get worried when she does it. It usually happens when she is real excited.

·
Registered
802 Posts
my lhasa apso used to do that. i always thought it was a hair ball or something.
she did it all the time, never had a problem from it, though.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sometimes Kennel cough sounds like you are discribing. Has your little one been around any other dogs lately, like at a groomer, vet, or boarding? Our Indy had that sound also after he was neutered from the tube they put down his throst during surgery. I would have your Vet check it out and that way you will know for sure and can get any treatment that may be needed
Let us know how your baby is doing
I know it is hard when our little ones are not feeling or acting in their normal way. They are just so tiny and precious

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 18 2005, 02:44 PM
Do you use a collar or a harness? If you use a collar I would switch to a harness that doesn't put any pressure on his neck.  If you use a harness make sure it isn't one that puts pressure on his neck.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120949
[/QUOTE]

We had used a collar in the beginning, but now use a harness...the vet told us that a collar might hurt him because we are working on walking him and he pulls VERY hard when he "walks" we are taking him to a trainer soon to work on his barking and socialization issues...and he wants to use a collar...
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by cindysilver@Nov 18 2005, 08:02 PM
Actually, this sounds to me like the classic "Reverse Sneeze" that Jack does too.  It's like a repetitive honking sound, for like 10 seconds...? 

See this link

Jack does this when he's super excited after running like mad for a while, or sometimes for no reason at all.  Doesn't seem to do any harm to him 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121054
[/QUOTE]

This seems to be what he is doing...thanks for the information....

·
Registered
776 Posts
Originally posted by Ant Nay+Nov 20 2005, 09:11 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-cindysilver
@Nov 18 2005, 08:02 PM
Actually, this sounds to me like the classic "Reverse Sneeze" that Jack does too.  It's like a repetitive honking sound, for like 10 seconds...? 

See this link

Jack does this when he's super excited after running like mad for a while, or sometimes for no reason at all.  Doesn't seem to do any harm to him 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121054
This seems to be what he is doing...thanks for the information....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121368
[/B][/QUOTE]

No worries!!!
Glad I could help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Maggie has done this and you know what happened. She coughed up what looked like a fur ball. She has done this several times. lol I know....wierd..but it happened. Of course she 'hoovers' around the house all the time and picks up stuff but it sounds more like it could be a 'reversal sneeze'. (especially at that age). If it was an older dog I would say possible heart problems. No worries....sounds like she is a little sneezer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts