Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got this freaky email just now, and I wanted to post it in here because it made me so sad that someone could possibly act this way... I will cut and paste it:

"Dear Brandi,
I have been reading up on your posts, and just wanted to give you some advice. I know you are very excited about bringing a Maltese home, but ask yourself this question: Is it because you truly love the breed, or because they are 'cute' dogs? I think that anyone who has as many questions as yourself and some other people, honestly does not know enough about the breed, and should leave the puppies for someone who DOES know the breed. These dogs are very particular, and need someone who knows the history and the ways of the breed to truly be a good owner. And, if you are only getting this puppy to be a trophy (hence the "Dog Boutique" post), then you are very wrong.
Also, how dare you leave a brand new puppy in a kennel only a month or so after you bring her home? You should be ashamed. That is no way to treat a dog that you 'act' like you are going to love/care for so deeply.
This said, I hope that you reconsider bringing that dog into your life.
XXXX"

Okay, how awful is this? I almost cried! Of course I dont know everything there is to know about Malts. But I have read so much that my eyes hurt, and now when I read something it is for the fourth or fifth time. I have been researching for months. And because I want my baby to be cute does this make me a bad person? I know that this little baby coming home will get more love and affection than most places she could end up? I tried to email this person back, but it said member unknown. I contacted yahoo about it, of course, but we'll see if they get back to me. I was just very disheartened, and wanted to share this with all of you.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Evidently this is someone who posts on SM?

Don't pay it any attention...someone is just being a jerk!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I think its great that you ask so many questions it just means you really care and don't want to make any mistakes with your new baby.

Some people are real idiots!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
Originally posted by treasures_cherished@Apr 25 2005, 08:52 AM
Okay, so I got this freaky email just now, and I wanted to post it in here because it made me so sad that someone could possibly act this way... I will cut and paste it:

"Dear Brandi,
I have been reading up on your posts, and just wanted to give you some advice. I know you are very excited about bringing a Maltese home, but ask yourself this question: Is it because you truly love the breed, or because they are 'cute' dogs? I think that anyone who has as many questions as yourself and some other people, honestly does not know enough about the breed, and should leave the puppies for someone who DOES know the breed. These dogs are very particular, and need someone who knows the history and the ways of the breed to truly be a good owner. And, if you are only getting this puppy to be a trophy (hence the "Dog Boutique" post), then you are very wrong.
Also, how dare you leave a brand new puppy in a kennel only a month or so after you bring her home? You should be ashamed. That is no way to treat a dog that you 'act' like you are going to love/care for so deeply.
This said, I hope that you reconsider bringing that dog into your life.
XXXX"

Okay, how awful is this? I almost cried! Of course I dont know everything there is to know about Malts. But I have read so much that my eyes hurt, and now when I read something it is for the fourth or fifth time. I have been researching for months. And because I want my baby to be cute does this make me a bad person? I know that this little baby coming home will get more love and affection than most places she could end up? I tried to email this person back, but it said member unknown. I contacted yahoo about it, of course, but we'll see if they get back to me. I was just very disheartened, and wanted to share this with all of you.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56169
[/QUOTE]


This person is a member here? I am so sorry you were treated this way. Not everyone feels the same way that this person does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,486 Posts
I certainly don't think that we can assume that they post here. They might be members because Joe says that he's had some people join that he's not so sure about (IP's, etc.), but not posters. Our posters here are pretty straightforward and if someone had something to say I believe that they wouldn't hide behind some mystery email address. I'm sorry this happened but I don't for one minute believe that it was a regular poster from this site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Do you know who sent this to you?? That is the most upsetting thing I have seen. If you didn't ask questions, you would not know would you!! As far as leaving the puppy so soon after you get it.....I am sorry, but LIFE happens and these things come up at times......we all have to leave them once in a while. As I said, Sis will be with a sitter Thursday for 5 days, it can't be helped. I won't take her on a plane and then leave her crated for hours on end just to take her with us. She'll be less stressed and better off being able to romp and play with a friend in a loving home here until we get back. Please just ignore the email, more and more people from the "other site" are coming here to start trouble because the site they are on is just horrible. I cannot believe that a "regular" SM member would of sent this to you.
I would also PM Joe on this and let him know what happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Apr 25 2005, 10:18 AM
I certainly don't think that we can assume that they post here.  They might be members because Joe says that he's had some people join that he's not so sure about (IP's, etc.), but not posters.  Our posters here are pretty straightforward and if someone had something to say I believe that they wouldn't hide behind some mystery email address.  I'm sorry this happened but I don't for one minute believe that it was a regular poster from this site.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56187
[/QUOTE]


Yeah, I guess "posts" was the wrong word to use...obviously "reads/lurks" here... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Apr 25 2005, 11:18 AM
I certainly don't think that we can assume that they post here.  They might be members because Joe says that he's had some people join that he's not so sure about (IP's, etc.), but not posters.  Our posters here are pretty straightforward and if someone had something to say I believe that they wouldn't hide behind some mystery email address.  I'm sorry this happened but I don't for one minute believe that it was a regular poster from this site.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56187
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

What awful (and obnoxious) things to say to you.
I would suggest that if this person is a regular poster, that he/she post here and explain their point of view.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
thier cuteness is what drew me to the breed. nothing wrong with that. i hope it wasnt someone from SM. to me you being here asking questions, is more than most people do before they get a puppy. so i applaud u!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Apr 25 2005, 10:18 AM
I certainly don't think that we can assume that they post here.  They might be members because Joe says that he's had some people join that he's not so sure about (IP's, etc.), but not posters.  Our posters here are pretty straightforward and if someone had something to say I believe that they wouldn't hide behind some mystery email address.  I'm sorry this happened but I don't for one minute believe that it was a regular poster from this site.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56187
[/QUOTE]


I agree... especially if it now says they are not a member. Sounds like someone with nothing better to do than cause trouble. I wouldn't even give it the attention of discussing it further that is more than likely what was intended, to cause havoc on a site that doesn't agree with their opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
I agree with this person to an extent (and no it wasn't me). I don't agree with them about treasures_cherished though.
At least treasures_cherished is asking questions. I would rather a person ask 1,000 stupid questions (not that yours are, I haven't even read all your posts so I wouldn't know) and get the right answers so they know better, then just buy a puppy (any kind) without knowing or asking a thing.
I wish I had asked more questions before I got Fantasia. I thought I did my research but after getting Fantasia I realized I didn't know enough about the breed. I only asked questions after the fact. I would rather someone ask the questions before the fact.
Please don't listen to this person. Don't let it get in your way of learning EVERYTHING you can about this breed.
Now for the part that I do agree with. Some people get this breed because they want a trophy and that's wrong. Those people just want to have an accessory to show off to everyone. It has become a bad trend in the Hollywood scene and it's sad. Those people don't care to educate themselves about the breed.
I haven't read the thread yet because I have no clue what they were talking about when they said
Also, how dare you leave a brand new puppy in a kennel only a month or so after you bring her home? You should be ashamed. That is no way to treat a dog that you 'act' like you are going to love/care for so deeply.[/B]
but I agree. Why would you leave a dog in a puppy in a kennel if they don't have all their vaccinations? Of course yelling wasn't the answer. This person should have told you why you shouldn't do this instead of yelling about it. Anyway if you haven't done this yet, please don't do it. If you have already done this, please don't do it again. Find a pet sitter instead. That way they can watch your pup in your home and the pup won't be in any danger (if you trust the sitter).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Remember the email that Joe sent resently... there are some suspious. users on SM.. can spell that. So do not get worked up over this. So long as you know in your heart your maltese will be treated with love an care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Triste@Apr 25 2005, 10:33 AM
was this an email ? Do you have the return addy for it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56206
[/QUOTE]
Yes, it was an email to my yahoo account. Which is weird, b/c I dont know how they wouldve gotten that address. But, when I tried to reply, it said member not found....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by treasures_cherished+Apr 25 2005, 11:37 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Triste
@Apr 25 2005, 10:33 AM
was this an email ? Do you have the return addy for it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56206
Yes, it was an email to my yahoo account. Which is weird, b/c I dont know how they wouldve gotten that address. But, when I tried to reply, it said member not found....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56212
[/B][/QUOTE]

If in your account you listed your personal email and allow users to email you to your personal account. I think that is how they did that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just wanted to say thank you so much for eveybody who responded, (and those to come) to this thread. I was just very upset, and had to vent. And thought you guys should read it. I dont think it was a member of SM, only b/c everyone that I have met/talked to here so far is SOOOO nice and helpful. I know in my heart that Im going to be a great mommy to Belle, b/c my main priority is to make her feel loved and welcome in her new home, and to give her a wonderful life full of happy people!
So again, thank you so much for everything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
I have to honest and say I knew "squat" about Maltese when I got Missy.. in fact, I was actually seeking a Bichon... either of which would be my first experience with a pure-bred. ( Most former pooches were mixed breeds adopted from the shelter).
long story.. but hubby arranged to "meet" her as a surprise for me ( a BYB.. had mom and dad raised in their home.) I agreed to go to "just look" to please my hubby more than anything... well saw Missy and I fell in love immediately and no question she was coming to our home and hearts.
It was after the fact I started to research so as to give the best possible care for her.
I don't regret it for one second.. even though her health issues are multiple and she has been one costly little pooch but I know in my heart nobody could have done more and possible they would have 'given up on her".. I really feel she was meant to be with us.
With that said.. I don't advocate this at all.., and likely if I was connected to the internet at the time I would have gotten right on before we even went to get some background at least as to the needs , etc. of the breed... and would have asked questions.. would it have changed my mind.. regarding the amount of care and possible breed issues.. I doubt it.
I'm sorry you got that e-mail... I do think it was "cowardly" for the person to not identfy themselves. I never have taken issue with someone who disagrees with me or had a comment I may or may not like..( that's what makes the world interesting is diversified opinions) but I feel the mature and 'right thing' to do is to when one has a negative comment is to indentify oneself.
Terry and Missy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Apr 25 2005, 11:42 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2005, 11:37 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Triste
@Apr 25 2005, 10:33 AM
was this an email ? Do you have the return addy for it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56206

Yes, it was an email to my yahoo account. Which is weird, b/c I dont know how they wouldve gotten that address. But, when I tried to reply, it said member not found....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56212

[/QUOTE]

If in your account you listed your personal email and allow users to email you to your personal account. I think that is how they did that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56217
[/B][/QUOTE]

I just clicked on your name and clicked where it says to send this person an email and a window came up that said
IMPORTANT: To prevent malicious use, all emails sent via this form are logged and the contents recorded and available to the administrators. DO NOT email user names, passwords or any personal details.[/B]
So if this is how they emailed you I would PM Joe and have him look into it. He can figure out who this person is. Maybe they will get a stern talking to too.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top