Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I know this sounds like a crazy question and let me assure you that I am by no means considering doing this, but has anyone ever colored their Maltese’s hair? If so, were reactions by acquaintances and strangers positive, negative, or a little bit of both?
This is what prompted the question: I was on a professional dog grooming supply website because I wanted to buy Sugarplum’s shampoo and conditioner in the gallon size. I started browsing other products on the site and came across dog hair color. I never even knew it was available. As a matter of fact, I recall years ago reading a story (I googled it and copied and pasted the link below) about a woman who colored her white poodle’s hair pink with organic beet juice (no chemicals) and she was ticketed by animal control for cruelty!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Never colored my Maltese's hair, and never have and never will color my poodles' hair as I think it looks very stupiid. It is very common in the poodle world to see that, unfortunately. I think it is sick to use a dog is a canvas for one's art. That is my two cents, sorry if it offends anyone!

·
Registered
Bella (mom = Fahreen)
42 Posts
Hi all. I know this sounds like a crazy question and let me assure you that I am by no means considering doing this, but has anyone ever colored their Maltese’s hair? If so, were reactions by acquaintances and strangers positive, negative, or a little bit of both?
This is what prompted the question: I was on a professional dog grooming supply website because I wanted to buy Sugarplum’s shampoo and conditioner in the gallon size. I started browsing other products on the site and came across dog hair color. I never even knew it was available. As a matter of fact, I recall years ago reading a story (I googled it and copied and pasted the link below) about a woman who colored her white poodle’s hair pink with organic beet juice (no chemicals) and she was ticketed by animal control for cruelty!
I just saw a white poodle at a crosswalk that had the head colored in pink & orange! I was literally appalled! I am generally a non-judgemental person but this just looked wrong and I couldn’t help staring daggers at the owner :( I would actually love to hear more thoughts and opinions on this - perhaps I’m being too harsh?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m also a pretty nonjudgmental person, and as I mentioned, I don’t plan on this. The only circumstance I think it MIGHT be ok is maybe Halloween, especially if a certain hair color would go well with the dog’s costume. Or for the 4th of July maybe just a couple of very thin red and blue streaks in the ear(s) and/or tail. My parents retired to a rural small town, and every 4th of July for as long as I can remember they have had a parade and anyone can participate...kids decorate their bikes and ride in the fire engine, etc., and I’ve seen people dress up their pets in red white and blue. I probably wouldn’t do it to my dog, (put streaks in the hair, that is) but I also probably wouldn’t raise an eyebrow if it was just a very small amount for a special occasion. It’s a whole different story for those who want to be different and show off, or to completely change their dog’s hair color and keep it that way. I kind of wondered if anyone colored their Maltese’s hair because it would show up the best/most on white hair. I’m interested to see more subsequent answers (but I won’t attack or ridicule anyone, I’m not trying to pick a fight, just curious)

·
Super Moderator
10,248 Posts
I've had whimsical colors done by the groomer for a special event - red tail for Christmas, and orange and blue tail for football season. That's it. Never the entire dog. My groomer has a shih tzu with a white body who occasionally receives a red heart for Valentine's day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just looked up some articles on this. Some of the horror stories brought tears to my eyes. Skin severely burned and toxic reactions. One dog's ear fell off! The whole ear!
People can make their dogs plenty cute by dressing them in outfits. That's as far as I'll ever go. A dog is not a piece of artwork. It's a living creature and taking a risk of harming it for the sake of "cuteness" is just wrong.
If that makes me judgemental then so be it. My fur baby's health will always come first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had whimsical colors done by the groomer for a special event - red tail for Christmas, and orange and blue tail for football season. That's it. Never the entire dog. My groomer has a shih tzu with a white body who occasionally receives a red heart for Valentine's day.
I really don’t see anything wrong with that...it was in a small area for a special occasion and done by a professional with a product most likely specifically for dogs. What kind of reactions, if any, did you get from people?

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
I have no desire to see my maltese anything but white, but I know some people who have used kool-ade for coloring. (not sure how that is spelled). It is suppose to be washable but I have heard it does not come out completely. I would be afraid of anything getting in the eyes of the pup!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just looked up some articles on this. Some of the horror stories brought tears to my eyes. Skin severely burned and toxic reactions. One dog's ear fell off! The whole ear!
People can make their dogs plenty cute by dressing them in outfits. That's as far as I'll ever go. A dog is not a piece of artwork. It's a living creature and taking a risk of harming it for the sake of "cuteness" is just wrong.
If that makes me judgemental then so be it. My fur baby's health will always come first.
How awful. As I said, I don’t see any harm with what Maggie did: it was a very small area on a special occasion and done by a professional with products meant for dogs. I don’t know how old you are but I’m an 80s child. I remember a toy and cartoon character dog named “Poochie.” She was a little white dog with pink ears/pigtails from the early or mid 1980s. I think pigtail ears on female dogs are adorable (Sugarplum has them) but I wouldn’t have the guts to color them pink. If I wanted them pink that bad I would put in little clip on extensions with bows.

·
Premium Member
5,666 Posts
Coming from the hair industry, I admire the creativity and talent that goes into designing with fashion color. Its very hard to get a really clean design and not easy to do IF done right. It is definitely an art.
That said,I wouldn’t do this on my dogs because thats what my guest are for, lol. Besides my girls would never sit still long enough. I do love it though. Some designs ive seen are drop dead gorgeous!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts