Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I worked at a groom shop and one of the ladys there told me if you have a maltese in a proper full coat to never cut their hair short because it changes the texture and it will never grow back the same. I dont know how creditable this lady is she also uses slickers on full coats
has anyone heard about their hair growing back different?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't think that's true but I could be wrong. I will say that I thought that happened to my Fantasia. I had her groomed at 7 months old and her hair was so soft silky long and beautiful and when it started growing back from the cut her back end started getting cottony. I think it's just because the ends were thin and the hair closer to her body was still cottony. That hair cut just brought that feature out. I don't mind though because I keep her short anyway. I actually just cut her hair yesterday because it's getting hot and she was panting like crazy the past week. Anyway maybe someone else that knows for real can answer you lol.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Tunder was in a full show coat for like 3 yrs I think. He was shown as a special even after he got his championship. He is in a puppy cut now and his hair is very silky and doesn't matt really at all. So I would disagree.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would disagree. However, I will say if you cut the dog down and use a slicker, you are breaking the ends of the coat so it will be a little different (more damaged, easier to rip coat out). I would freshen up the ends with scissors and go to a pin brush only before growing it out again so you don't have problems with the broken ends.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
I think I would have to disagree also. I have had Massimo's coat long, and decided at the spur of the moment to chop it all off (of course the first time I did that I was completely horrified...and then when I got used to it short I liked it a lot). Well, I let it grow out all winter, because it get's pretty cold here in upstate Ny, and I thought his coat was just as soft. It's getting warmer now and I just cut him down to a 3" cut and I think his hair is much more soft and silky. I dunno though, maybe the ends of his hair were dried out so the hair that recently grew felt silkier.

-c

1 - 5 of 5 Posts