Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new here, and pardon me if this has been discussed previously. This is my first dog which requires grooming, and I just got her a week before Christmas. My question is: does dog hair grow on the average about a half inch per month like humans? I have read that Maltese and other long haired dogs need to be groomed every 6-8 weeks. I’m thinking about keeping my dog’s hair short all over but give her long ears. Right now, the hair length of her ears are about an inch or inch and a half past the bottom tip of the actual ear, I'd like the length to be at her shoulder. Any idea how long this might take?

·
Premium Member
24,143 Posts
I have two girls, Geneva's hair is thick, beautiful coat, her hair grows faster than Maddie's, Maddie has a thin coat, I have been growing my girls hair long, Geneva maybe has 3 inches to go before it touches the ground
If you are going to keep Sugarplum in a short cut have you thought of the Asian cut, it's adorable and easy to care for
I am thinking of having Maddie cut into the Asian cut, I kept her it it for years.
The picture in my siggy is of Maddie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think I know what you are talking about. Is a Korean and Asian cut the same thing? I think I want Sugarplum like Mimi (Mimi and Coco; I saw her owner Ikue’s posts on this board, so sad about Coco) I like that style the most because I won’t have to worry about matting with short hair, and I would have to brush her ears daily which I already do.

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
Not sure about the half inch per month, but in order to keep my girls in their modified puppy cut (siggy pic), they get professional grooming with a cut every four weeks.

Once a year, they both get a very short cut because we go glamping in the national forest and the short cut makes it easier to examine for ticks. Tessa's usually grows back in about 6 - 8 weeks, and Sweetness is back to her full leg length in 6 months.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Chrissy has a very thick coat and I prefer o keep it short since I have a problem brushing and combing out out if it gets to long. She goes about every three months to the Groomer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts