Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I was told pulling the hair out of my malts ears won't hurt him, well it does.. he won't let any1 near his ears not even the groomer, How can I make it easier to pull the hair out with out him crying? any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sir N used to be like that--actually, he still is. I make him lie on his side and I put one leg over him so he can't easily escape. He doesn't cry anymore though. To get him to lie at least somewhat still, I used to to cuddle him while he was lying down. I'd have my leg over him and be holding him still, but NOT touch his ears. I'd talk to him, praise him, and then give him a little treat. I gradually worked up to cleaning his ears and then to plucking the hair out. He still hates to get it done, but he knows that he gets a treat afterwards, so he tries hard to be patient. Little C is so hungry to be handled that she will let me pull ear hair without restraining her at all and she doesn't demand a treat afterwards.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I dont think it hurts. I really think that since you are pulling hair from the EAR, that the the plucking of the hair is very loud and it scares them....unless your plucking hair from their flap of the ear. Maybe give treats to him after 1 or 2 plucks so he'll have something to look forward to?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Get him use to you messing with his ears. Touch them, massage them, put your fingers in them, etc. while you give him treats. Get him used to that first for a few weeks. Then you can put a little ear poweder on the hair and just pluck one little bit of hair and give a treat. Do one small pluck every day or 2, continuing to mess with his ears for treats on a daily basis. He may have been pinched or had a painful ear infection and associates having his ears messed with with pain. Teach him having his ears messed with means treats instead.

My dogs don't even flinch and Jonathan is a baby if you so much as gently pull on a tiny knot...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts