Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I’m wanting to use a hair straightening cream & neutralizer to make my Maltese’s hair straight. The product I’m considering is Liscio Crystal Cream & Neutralizer, which is made for human hair. Has anyone tried using a hair straightening cream?

·
Super Moderator
10,412 Posts
Absolutely not. Any chemical treatment product intended for humans should never be used on a dog. If you want the hair straighter, blowing dry with a gentle brush and dryer on low is the right thing to do.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,164 Posts
Totally agree!!!!!!! Use a hair brush if it is so important to you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi everyone. I’m wanting to use a hair straightening cream & neutralizer to make my Maltese’s hair straight. The product I’m considering is Liscio Crystal Cream & Neutralizer, which is made for human hair. Has anyone tried using a hair straightening cream?
In my experience, Maltese have different coats. Some have thick coats, some silky, thin, wavy, etc. I would never use a that type of chemical on any dog as it is dangerous.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,044 Posts
I almost didnt want to answer this thread since everyone else already answered you and TBH, I cant believe someone would go to this extreme to straighten their dogs hair and risk burning them, possibly causing them to go blind, mind you the pain they would experience, but thought I would give my 2 cents for what its worth.

The second ingredient in this product is Ammonium thioglycolate (Thio) which is used in perms at the salon.
Thio is a contact irritant or corrosive substance of the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes. It is known to cause severe skin burns and eye damages. In cases of skin or eye exposure to thioglycolic acid, corneal damage and chemical skin injury with blisters can and has occurred.
Experimental animal studies have shown significant eye and skin lesions from direct contact from this one ingredient.
Additionally, the Thio class has been shown to be rapidly absorbed through the skin in animals, resulting in systemic toxicity.
I wont bore you with how toxic the other ingredients are in this reverse perm, and thats all it is a reverse perm.

This is the problem with having access to everything on line, you can buy whatever you want not knowing the risk.
Maybe try this type of brush for straightening, instead of using a chemical. I use something similar on my girls and it works just fine.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,164 Posts
I think seeing pups whose hair is straightened (breeders sometimes do this w/hot iron for showing so we get the idea all maltese have straight hair) might make some think that is the way ALL maltese should look. Joanne knows hair products well as that is her profession! Mostly people do things out of lack of knowledge so I do think this owner will consider well the remarks offered in the spirit of what is best for the dog.

Reactions: maddysmom

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,201 Posts
With a very small amount, you might try coconut oil while brushing. Don't put too much on, just a dab rub through your palms and applied on the hair. You could also use argon oil, again just a drop or two on your palms and then then rubbed your hands on the dog before brushing. Don't use anything with chemicals, you will hurt their skin; Joanne knows her stuff. DO NOT USE essential oils - those are too concentrated, use an organic pure argon or pure coconut oil specifically for hair. I also agree with Sandy, there is nothing wrong with a bit of wavy hair. At least argon and coconut oil used sparingly will not hurt them.

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
With a very small amount, you might try coconut oil while brushing. Don't put too much on, just a dab rub through your palms and applied on the hair. You could also use argon oil, again just a drop or two on your palms and then then rubbed your hands on the dog before brushing. Don't use anything with chemicals, you will hurt their skin; Joanne knows her stuff. DO NOT USE essential oils - those are too concentrated, use an organic pure argon or pure coconut oil specifically for hair. I also agree with Sandy, there is nothing wrong with a bit of wavy hair. At least argon and coconut oil used sparingly will not hurt them.
Great suggestion, Walter. The only thing I would caution about is that Argon oil is great for repairing, hydrating, and smoothing rough, coarse hair, but it should be used with caution, especially if you are a blonde, or like our maltese with very white hair, because the dyes in the oil can turn the hair yellow or brassy.
I only know of one salon product moroccan Oil LITE that wont stain because they removed the dyes in it. Its especially made for very pale blondes and bleached hair.

I like the coconut oil, but like Walter said just a dab, otherwise its very, very greasy. I learned the hard way 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Premium Member
6,044 Posts
I think seeing pups whose hair is straightened (breeders sometimes do this w/hot iron for showing so we get the idea all maltese have straight hair) might make some think that is the way ALL maltese should look. Joanne knows hair products well as that is her profession! Mostly people do things out of lack of knowledge so I do think this owner will consider well the remarks offered in the spirit of what is best for the dog.
Very good point about ironing and the straight show hair. Its alot of time and work to get the hair so perfect like that.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,201 Posts
Great suggestion, Walter. The only thing I would caution about is that Argon oil is known and great for repairing, hydrating, and smoothing rough, coarse hair, but it should be used with caution, especially if you are a blonde, or like our maltese with very white hair, because the dyes in the oil can turn the hair yellow or brassy.
I only know of one salon product Morrican Oil LITE that wont stain because they removed the dyes in it. Its especially made for very pale blondes and bleached hair.

I like the coconut oil, but like Walter said just a dab, otherwise its very, very greasy. I learned the hard way 🤦🏻‍♀️
Thanks Joanne, I did not know Argon had a yellowing effect. I don't have light hair and I use it on myself.

Reactions: maddysmom
1 - 14 of 14 Posts