Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, not very often, but often enough in my book, Chanel will go outside to take a poop, and she'll poop one time, but the second small one that comes out sometimes hangs in her fur below her rear end
(she has about 4 in long hair). Does this happen to anyone else, and what the heck do you do about it? Cut the long hair behine her legs?

Thanks in advance...

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
This happens to Pico occasionally and I think its more a matter of diet than anything else.

At first I used to bring him in the house and try to pull it off with a wet wipe which really just smoooshed it and made a mess.

Now I have two methods: First, while still outside, I pull his tail up and give the poop ball a flick with my fingernail. That usually sends it flying

If that doesn't work I bring him in and use the steel comb and a tissue and comb it onto the tissue, then clean up any residue with a tad of shampoo.

My pediatrician once said you aren't a parent until you've gotten your hand wrist deep in baby poop. Well, I guess we can apply the same sort of thing to our furbabies. The first time I saw my curmudgeon husband cleaning Pico's butt I knew he was a fur-Daddy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use the same methods as Pico's Mom.
Tiki is in a puppy cut and I do lift his tail and cut the hair under his tail a little shorter. Since I leave his tail long it hangs over his bottom and you can't really tell his bum is cut shorter :ph34r:

I also agree that diet makes a big dif! When he gets few treats and the majority of his diet is his dog food I don't really have a problem, but when dad gives him a few to many treats we have more "poopy but"

Judi

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
We have a litter box (with a puppy pad inside) and sometimes Massimo goes into the box, seemingly does his duty, and when he jumps outta the litter box he looks in to see (or smell) what he's done and the poop is hanging from his bottom by HAIR....not HIS hair, but mine or my setter's hair that he had passed. YUCK. I get a tissue and pull it off.....what's with Maltese and HAIR!? The worst part is when he realizes it's stuck...he runs in circles freaking out trying to get it off. My brother was over when it happened last time........ He said "Uhh...Care, there goes dingle berries on parade" and nods to the dog....
How embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i shave sprites and ellies butt--casey thinks they look like baboons! thats my solution. i hate having to wash the poo out of their hair because then it mats. good luck with your baby!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That was happening last week with Sunny but we were in a house with a lot of other dogs and a lot of differnt dog foods which i guess it what was causing it because it was happening a lot and now it hasnt

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Maxismom@Aug 30 2004, 07:44 AM
This happens to Maxi and i have his frame shaved i also wipe him with baby wipes
i would say this happens alot with Maxi . Also watch out that he doesnt get clogged
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7971
[/QUOTE]

I've also had to wipe Abby a few times since I got her almost a week ago. It's not nice and she doesn't like it, but it has to be done! :wacko: I just take a pack of baby wipes with me if I go out - just in case. If it's particularly bad, I will sometimes run her bottom under warm water.

I worry that she might be embarrassed when she does do it...
so I try not to make a big deal of it

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
see, some people think that dogs dont feel embarrassment....but i honestly think that ellie gets embarrassed while my mom is washing her butt in the sink. poor babies.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I do think they get embarrassed!
This happened to Brinkley last night. I keep his booty part short, but this got caught in the tail hair that is so close...so now I gotta remember to keep that underside of his tail trimmed some too.

Anyway, after I cleaned it, he just SAT in the kitchen floor and would NOT move for several minutes. He looked SO sad.

I finally went back in and got him and gave him some love and tried to get him to play. Poor baby!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 28 2004, 09:20 PM
This happens to Pico occasionally and I think its more a matter of diet than anything else.

At first I used to bring him in the house and try to pull it off with a wet wipe which really just smoooshed it and made a mess.

Now I have two methods:  First, while still outside, I pull his tail up and give the poop ball a flick with my fingernail.  That usually sends it flying

If that doesn't work I bring him in and use the steel comb and a tissue and comb it onto the tissue, then clean up any residue with a tad of shampoo.

My pediatrician once said you aren't a parent until you've gotten your hand wrist deep in baby poop.  Well, I guess we can apply the same sort of thing to our furbabies.  The first time I saw my curmudgeon husband cleaning Pico's butt I knew he was a fur-Daddy.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7922
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 28 2004, 09:20 PM

Now I have two methods:  First, while still outside, I pull his tail up and give the poop ball a flick with my fingernail.  That usually sends it flying

My pediatrician once said you aren't a parent until you've gotten your hand wrist deep in baby poop.  Well, I guess we can apply the same sort of thing to our furbabies.  The first time I saw my curmudgeon husband cleaning Pico's butt I knew he was a fur-Daddy.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7922
[/QUOTE]
Allo Pamela,
Thank you for making me smile... :D You are sooo wright...
Loved your description of fur-mommy and fur-daddy
it is sooo true...
I like the way you put things into perspective...
I used to find it gross to see people picking up after their dogs
Now I pick up after my little furry girl and don't hesitate a sec... :D It seems such a normal thing to do...

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
[attachment=7557:attachment][attachment=7556:attachment]"Brit's groomer keeps her hair cut short in the back so we don't get the dingle berries anymore!"

"My pediatrician once said you aren't a parent until you've gotten your hand wrist deep in baby poop. Well, I guess we can apply the same sort of thing to our furbabies"

You guys are just to much! 'Dingle Berries' must be the universal word for this kind of situation! I thought we were the only people who said it.

And I know for sure I am a Maltese Momma because with 11 angels I feel like I am always (almost) waist deep in the stuff!

You can trim thier little hiny area and that helps alot. You can't miss it when it happens, can you? My guys hate it more than even I do! (*_*)PJ

Attachments

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
What can I say ... --it happens ..........

Harley hates it when he has 'dingle berries' ... he feels the need to run inside to his mamma to sort it out for him - I grab a tissue & try to fix the issue, but in worst case scenario's, we have to have a trip to the bathroom sink to wipe & wash off, all the time I try not to make a big deal out if it - it's not his fault afterall ....

That's why we love 'em!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
That does happen sometimes. I usually use a paper towel to get if off. We have baby wipes to clean him up, but sometimes a butt wash in the bath tub is necessary.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree, they do get embarassd. Whenever this happens to jinx (this morning LOL) he will run into his house and sit there. I immediately know what happened when I come into the room. It's when this happens that I know it's time for a trim 'down there'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts