Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just had to tell you about my afternoon. After resting for about an hour and then taking a shower I can finally share my news. I wanted to as soon as I got home but I could hardly breath because the temperature outside was close to 100 degrees today, but still, I had the best time with Teddy and I hate the heat. After our test ride yesterday I figured out how to do Teddy in the basket so his little body does not bounce and he and I just had a wonderful time on a 10-mile bike ride. I was happy because Teddy was so excited about getting back into the basket, which was the real test. I want him to like it and he obviously does because he was dancing all over like he does when we get ready for a walk or to go out for a ride in the car. I love to bike and I have not been going because I don’t like leaving Teddy behind, I could not be happier that he likes it and I have found a way for him to be safe.

After thinking over night about how to keep him tied into the basket, without pulling on his throat area I realized that I could use the life jacket I had gotten for him so that he does not have any stress at all on his body or throat area. Because the life jacket is padded and goes around his whole body I was able to anchor that down into the basket so that he was comfortable and did not bounce at all. When we went over a bump he did not come up even a ¼ of an inch. By the time we were coming around towards home he was so relaxed his eyes were starting to doze off.

I just went online and ordered a bike helmet for him now that I know he likes it. It should be here by next week. Here is the link in case anyone else is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=46295

Thanks for listening to me gush…I just am so happy that he likes it and that we can share something else I love together. If my daughter is home tomorrow I will have her take a picture of us and I will post for all.

Susan

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What are the helmets made of? How thick are they? Are they padded on the inside? If it's on tightly enough to do some good in case of a spill, won't it hurt his ears? Or, (and this would be cute) are there ear holes that just weren't pictured?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
that post made me smile and want to cheer.

i'm glad~!!! i think lucy would love that. thank you so much for sharing your brilliant ideas.

i'd love to see some picturessssss

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That sounds great! That sounds so sweet of him to be so excited to go too
Does the basket let a nice breeze in? My temp in the car said it was 102 today here in PA. Crazy heat. I know that I have left Phoebe at home on days its too hot to go on the boat, and I feel bad. But she pants like crazy with that long hair but if we are riding, she loves me to hold her up so the wind can blow on her. Actually I think she just likes me holding her

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've had an odd day today, but that post made me smile so much my mouth hurt. Have fun and stay cool, I'm so glad you're having fun with the furbaby

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Wow I am sitting here trying to picture Teddy sitting in his basket with his life jacket and helmet on cruising down the road. How cute is that?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I agree. A pair of doggles would so complete the outfit. Get the kind with the mirror reflecting whatever you call it kind.

·
Registered
841 Posts
That sounds too cute.. I keep thinking about the same thing riding but its just to hot here right now, 103 yesterday and Summer gets hot just going in the back yard for 5 min tongue all hanging out
You know I heard the other day that they get hotter and ( little children) too because their so close to the ground, the heat comes up off the ground it makes sence to me
Drink lots of water and have fun

Doggles a must for all the little bugs flying around

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it is just too darn hot here today...the humidity is so obnoxious you can't even breath, so I had to put the bike riding plans on hold today...but I had to tell you what my daughter thought of the whole thing.

she said Mom are you kidding if I saw a crazy lady riding a bike with a dog in a basket with a life preserver and a helmet on I would run in telling you how I just saw a loon and how rediculous that was and now you want to be the crazy lady.

So, I guess I am going to the crazy lady now...cause Teddy loved it and so did I.

Susan

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm pretty use to people calling me a loon because of the things I do for my boys
Hey, as long as the two of you are enjoying yourselves and the time you spend together, I say go for it!! But I really want to see a pic of little Teddy all done up in his riding gear. He must be the most precious thing

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 13 2005, 11:22 AM
Well, it is just too darn hot here today...the humidity is so obnoxious you can't even breath, so I had to put the bike riding plans on hold today...but I had to tell you what my daughter thought of the whole thing.

she said Mom are you kidding if I saw a crazy lady riding a bike with a dog in a basket with a life preserver and a helmet on I would run in telling you how I just saw a loon and how rediculous that was and now you want to be the crazy lady. 

So, I guess I am going to the crazy lady now...cause Teddy loved it and so did I. 

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90157
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like fun...but people here would think I was the crazy lady too!

Plus, I am not that coordinated...I never took my kids on the back of my bike, because I didn't trust myself...don't think I would take my dog either. But if you go for 10 miles at a time
you are probably a much better driver/rider than I am!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think we have all been called "loons" because of the way we talk and take care of our babies.

I was having a bad day...and your post made me smile. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 13 2005, 12:22 PM

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90157
[/QUOTE]

Noooo not crazy at all!!! If you're crazy, then most of us on SM are crazy, too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts