Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s Sugarplum’s rebirthday today. It’s been TWO years now since she was rescued from the puppy mill. The shelter gave her December 5 as her birthday since that was the date they received her, and it’s very likely the date she was rescued. She’s probably now about as good as she’s going to get; I think she has reached her full potential. She is pad trained about 80-90%. I have all wood floors in my home which have a very water resistant polyurethane finish, and it also makes it easy to clean up. She also tolerates grooming very poorly. But she is so grateful and so appreciative of her new home, and she shows it by sitting on my lap a lot; she would sit on my lap all day if I allowed her to.

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,086 Posts
Happy Rebirthday Sweetie. Casper is a lap sitter too. Lucky was more of a leg man - he used my legs as pillows. So glad to have you found each other.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Walter you have all been so wonderful, helpful and supportive to Sugarplum and I. It has been such a rewarding experience especially the milestones like when she barked at the maintenance man as if she were a watch dog (and no other dog taught her that), when she wagged her tail for the first time, and it was especially funny when she discovered human food: I set a bagel on the arm of my sofa, walked away for a moment and when I came back it was gone. I thought I was losing my mind because it hadn’t occurred to me that she might have gotten it as she had never shown any kind of interest in human food before. Then I found it in the hallway with a tooth mark in it! If I could do it all over again I would. I knew puppy mills were a bad thing but I never knew how very bad until I saw an Oprah episode on YouTube from 2008. Truly horrifying and exactly the kind of life Sugarplum lived. One would never even think she is the same dog.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,982 Posts
What a special up-date! Love truly does cover a multitude of sins. Sugarplum is a blessing to you as you are to her! I wish ALL pups had it this good!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sandi. She certainly deserves it. One thing I forgot to mention…just recently my boyfriend has started to lovingly call her “Sugarplump” LOL because of the (healthy) amount of weight she’s gained; about 3/4 of a pound. If you look at the first pic ever that I posted of her (after I cut most of her hair) you can see how thin she was, but she wasn’t emaciated. Her ribs could be felt but not seen, and the veterinarian said she could gain about half a pound to a pound. They should have named her something related to pears rather than plums cuz she’s starting to get a little bit pear shaped LOL!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It’s Sugarplum’s rebirthday today. It’s been TWO years now since she was rescued from the puppy mill. The shelter gave her December 5 as her birthday since that was the date they received her, and it’s very likely the date she was rescued. She’s probably now about as good as she’s going to get; I think she has reached her full potential. She is pad trained about 80-90%. I have all wood floors in my home which have a very water resistant polyurethane finish, and it also makes it easy to clean up. She also tolerates grooming very poorly. But she is so grateful and so appreciative of her new home, and she shows it by sitting on my lap a lot; she would sit on my lap all day if I allowed her to.
Happy Birthday Sugarplum! What a cutie. She is so lucky that you rescued her. So sad how many are not as lucky.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh I'm late to the party! Happy Rebirthday a month late Sugarplum!
So happy that Sugarplum is doing so well! She has been through so much and you have been such a blessing to her. Yay for you Crazylady! People that rescue dogs are the best. 💞

1 - 7 of 7 Posts