Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunter and I are starting to use a new product today - its Ear Wipes by Happy Tails.

We had some ear cleaner from the vet but the main ingrediant is alcohol so it stings and with Hunter's prior ear issues he is very sensitive about his ears. We have to muzzle him to put the vet's solution down his ear :smpullhair: and he winces in pain:crying: so we are hopeful these new wipes will be great!

Has anyone else ever used this product before? Are there any other product suggestions out there?

I am REALLY hopeful that this will help us win the battle against his ears. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
You know, sometimes I really hate having a store. Because when I want to recommend something I really love and trust, I'm afraid it comes across like I'm trying to sell something. ::big breath:: Ok...that being said...I really love Animal Essentials Herbal Ear Rinse. My vet checked it out and loved the ingredients. Here's a link so you can check out the ingredients for yourself.

Animal Essentials Herbal Ear Rinse - Pampered Pet Boutique LLC

You man not be able to use it as a dropper in Hunter's ears since he's had some bad experiences, but you could put some on a cotton ball to clean out his ears.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crystal -

1. I love that you own a store because you have often tried a lot of various products so you have a lot of information to share.

2. I never assume you are pushing a product just because you want me to buy it at your store - I feel like I know you well enough to know that's not the case.

3. I'm glad that you reponded because I was hoping you had!!!

I will look into this product - the dropper thing does worry me but the cottonball is a great idea.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Ear wipes only clean the outter portion of the ear. For that reason we don't recommend them.
There are plenty of ear cleaners without alcohol. I would use one of them. Soak a cotton ball in the solution. Place in the ear. Massage. Remove the cotton ball. Insert a clean one. Massage. Repeat until you get a clean, dry cotton ball. For dirty ears you may need to do a second cotton ball soaked in solution. This ensures the solution - which dries the ear - does the job down in the ear canal.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Ear wipes only clean the outter portion of the ear. For that reason we don't recommend them.
There are plenty of ear cleaners without alcohol. I would use one of them. Soak a cotton ball in the solution. Place in the ear. Massage. Remove the cotton ball. Insert a clean one. Massage. Repeat until you get a clean, dry cotton ball. For dirty ears you may need to do a second cotton ball soaked in solution. This ensures the solution - which dries the ear - does the job down in the ear canal.
That is exactly what I do. I have used Happy Tails and I am not a fan of them..JMO :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what I do. I have used Happy Tails and I am not a fan of them..JMO :)
Do either of you have any suggestions for cleaners you like? I'm hoping by using the wipes that don't sting he will be more comfortable with me touching his ears again and we can build trust. Then I can put things down his ears. For right now he will go to the vet monthly to make sure inner ear is clean. Any suggestions on cleaners other than the one Crystal suggested?

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jackie, I don't want to be a pain but since he's so sensitive to his ears now I don't want to go through too much trial and error. I'm going to look at all of these products and talk to the vet about them.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Epi-Otic Ear Cleanser

This is the old tried and true.

If Hunter has chronic yeast infections, I would try one of the Dermapet products. I dilute them 50:50 with sterile saline for routine use.
This is what I use for Nemo. Nemo had chronic yeast infections, oh they were awful :( Ever since I have been using this , they have not returned. In the beginning I used it every other day, now I use it once or twice a week. This is a really great product I would for sure try it.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts