Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Harley to be neutered yesterday & as his was also exploratory surgery, they wanted to keep him overnight to keep an eye on him & also to give him any pain medication he might need. His surgery was likened to a spaying as his testicles were un-descended.

It was our first ever night apart & I didn't sleep well at all! In fact, I've been up since 5 am because that's normally the time he wakes me up to go outside to do his business.

What can I do to make him as comfortable as possible when he gets home? He normally sits on the sofa with me & jumps up & down when he feels like it - I know I will need to prevent this for a little while now & I have set his bed up right next to me on the floor.

Also, I use a harness on him that clips into the seatbelt in the car & I'm just a bit worried that I wont be able to use the harness when I collect him as I don't want it to rub on his stitches. The only other thing I have for the car is a small carrier/cage type thing that he came home in when he was a baby - he would fit in it now, however it wont be very roomy for him. Any suggestions?

I know lots of you have been through this at some stage, so I would really appreciate any advice you can give on making him comfortable - also, how lively is he likely to be (he had surgery at lunchtime yesterday), I know the sedation would have worn off, but is he likely to still be a bit groggy?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

From a very, very stressed out mum!

Only 4 hours & 20 minutes until I can collect him!!! (not that I'm counting
)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I bet you are absolutely thirilled hes coming home! When Bella was spayed I didn't sleep for three days. I have never had a pet neutered, because I have girls, but when Bella was spayed she was her normal self when I picked her up, I don't think she acted sedated at all. As for making it special, the fact that you are picking him up will make him so happy and he'll be thrilled to see you! Maybe you could take him a treat though, they always like food

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am totally beside myself that he's coming home ...... I'm such a worry-wart & even made myself sick with worry yesterday (worry & probably guilt!)

I've totally scrubbed the house from top to bottom because now of course I'm paranoid that he'll pick up an infection or something! The vet noticed a TINY amount of plaque on his back teeth, but said he wouldn't do them while he was under because he didn't want to risk infection ... now all I can think about is preventing infection of any sort!

I know he'll be excited to see me, but I think I'll be more excited to see him! I walked around all day yesterday with his collar in my pocket & kissed his picture before bed last night .... I was a sad pathetic mess! I even cried when I had to leave him at the vet! I don't think I need to describe how much I love this little guy - I'm so pleased this forum is here - other people would think I've lost my mind acting like this!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Congrats and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, bless your heart.... I truly do know how you feel. I'm so glad though that the surgery is over with and that he's on the road to recovery!!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your support, only a malt-lover really knows how I feel. I had a couple of calls from friends yesterday as they know how much my little guy means to me, but it's not the same unless your heart belongs to one of these little fluffballs!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to harp on about this, but does anyone have any suggestions for the car trip home? I don't know if using the harness will be possible due to his stitches?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I use a padded harness for the car, but besides running out to buy another harness, maybe you could wrap a little hand towel around his middle. The harness may still put a little pressure on him, but maybe it'll work if it's just a short ride?? He's bound to be excited to see you so maybe the carrier would work better for his ride home since the harness will be across his stitches. Sorry, I didn't really help did I?
Glad to hear all is well and this is over with. Now you can get back to enjoying your little love! I hope he has a speedy recovery

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Aug 13 2005, 08:40 AM
I use a padded harness for the car, but besides running out to buy another harness, maybe you could wrap a little hand towel around his middle.  The harness may still put a little pressure on him, but maybe it'll work if it's just a short ride??  He's bound to be excited to see you so maybe the carrier would work better for his ride home since the harness will be across his stitches.  Sorry, I didn't really help did I? 
  Glad to hear all is well and this is over with.  Now you can get back to enjoying your little love!  I hope he has a speedy recovery

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89981
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, that's a great suggestion - I'm not even thinking straight today! I will take a hand towel with me! (only 3 hours & 10 minutes to go!) LOL

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He's Home!! Yay!!

He's not back to his normal self yet - it looks like it was a fairly big operation afterall - his scar is around 20 cm long!! Poor little thing, he took a stitch out this morning before I collected him, so the vet has put a collar on him - he HATES it!

He's resting in his bed at the moment & it looks like the poor little guy just can't get comfortable with that thing on his head - I'm so tempted to take it off so he can be comfortable, but I'm affraid he'll get to his stitches again .....

Looks like I'll be spending the rest of my day sitting on the floor just staring at him!

The vet was very thorough, although I'm surprised he didn't give me any pain medication to bring home with me - I might call & ask because Harley keeps doing the big 'sighs', almost like whatever he has already had for the pain might be wearing off. My poor baby!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I just spoke to the surgeon & he said that he gave Harley some pain medication this morning before I collected him & he's assured me that it should last for 24 hours. He said he most likely seems uncomfortable because of the collar and that he really shouldn't be in pain. He is sleeping right now, and although he does sigh every now & then, I think he's right, it's the collar that's bothering him and as tempted as I am to take it off, I wont .....the possible consequences just aren't worth it.

Thanks everyone, I can't wait to report that he's back to 100% again - hopefully really soon!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Harleysmom

So glad your little one is home...but so sad that the vet told you he wouldn't be in pain in the morning...I am worried about this as most of us have been given pain meds for our babies. I don't want to worry you more but keep an eye on him and if he is in pain ask for more meds...demand them if you have to.

As for making your little one more comfortable with the stiches and such...have you tried a onesy...a babys one peice outfit, which fits our little ones great and then they cannot get to the stiches and they usually do not need a cone on the head to keep them from the site. Teddy actually loved wearing them. The only problem I had with them is that I had to be careful to lift it up for Teddy when he need to go wee wee because he went on pads and was used to just going without any fanfare. I would just take it off and he would do his business and then he would come back and let me put it back on him. I really think the softness of the cotton also makes them feel better believe it or not.

Teddy also ripped out his stiches before I got there because they had not put on the onesy I supplied...so he had the cone on when I picked him up...that came off pretty quickly because I watched him like a hawk, as it sounds like you will.

Good luck with his recovery...the hard part is over.

Susan

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone - your well wishes are much appreciated!

Thanks Susan, that sounds like a great idea, I'm really keen to try that out. I need to wait until tomorrow though because I live alone and although my parents do live close & often look after Harley for me, my sister just had a baby so my parents are both with her today & tonight & as I don't want to leave Harley unsupervised (even though I will probably only be gone 20 minutes), I will need to wait until they can be here.

I think I know what you mean by a onesy - is it like a 'stretch & grow' all in one suit the has press studs up the middle to keep it closed? Or for any others from 'down-under' would you say it's like a Bonds Wondersuit?

In the meantime though, he seems to be resting comfortably now, I think he's getting used to that 'thing' around his neck & has relaxed a little bit. Given I've had very little sleep & have been up since 5 am, I'm going to join him & have a nap too!

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Harley has been home for 5 & a half hours now & he had a big drink of water when we first got home, then I took him outside & he did a poo (looked normal), and I have taken him out several times since but he has still not had a widdle - is this something to worry about? The incision & stitches are very close to his penis, so I'm thinking he knows it might hurt a little bit so he's holding it in? Does that sound stupid?
Oh & I exaggerated before, the incision is about 12 - 15 cm long, not 20 cm like I said earlier.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the gory details ...... sorry, this picture was taken will my mobile (cell) phone camera as I've given my parents my digital camera to take pictures of their new grand-daughter

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by scrappy@Aug 13 2005, 06:34 PM
That looks like how Scrappy's tummy looked and it took him a while to pee also.  When he did pee he would look down there with an "ouch" expression so I think the peeing stung a little.  I think it stung right up to a day or two after he had the stitches out b/c he would inspect the area after every pee.  I remember having to watch him closely in case he licked the area.

Hugs to Harley with every hour that passes it is an hour closer to being all better. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90101
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much, thanks for reminding me of that - he is getting better hour by hour- he's had the little dinner I gave him - I didn't want to over-do it, so I just gave him about a quarter of what I normally do, and right after he ate it ALL up he wanted to go outside ....... so I'm happy to report he had a big LONG pee!
He's sleeping again now, which is good, it will give his little body time to heal
I think I can indulge & let myself relax a little bit now - but only a little bit ....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts