Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, Harley's spay is tomorrow and I just don't remember much about Bella's spay. It seems like I picked her up the next day and she was perfectly normal, have I blocked things out from my memory, or can it really go this smoothly for Harley
Here are my issues:
I'm concerned about her not getting any food after 10 tonight, I don't want her blood sugar to get too low, but I know I need to follow doctors orders. They are going to laugh at me tomorrow when i show up with her blanket and bone and food (for after the surgery), and toy! Maybe they will put the phone by her ear when she wakes up. It just doesn't seem right to make her have an operation and then leave her there all night.
I'm also worried about her recovery, she is a very hyper baby and jumps around a lot. I guess it will help that she is contained at the vet for the first 20 hours or so, but after that? I can't put her in a play pen because she can jump it, and I don't have a crate.
Someone mentioned using a baby onesie to keep them from bothering the surgery site, Harley uses pee pads, how does that work?
She can't have a bath for 14 days! Is she going to stink?
Thanks everybody, I'll post as soon as the vet calls tomorrow and let you know how she's doing. By the way, I know Nikki is getting spayed Thursday, hugs to you Kristi, I know how you feel

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Thanks! I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

I used the onsies for Lexi. She goes potty outside so I would just unsnap it when I took her out. I've been getting nikki used to the onsies by having her wear them at night the last few nights. I tried taking lexi's blanket with her when she got spayed and they told me they wouldn't be able to put it with her for some reason, don't remember. I think it had to do with germs or something.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good luck to you and Harley tomorrow. We couldn't take any of IzzyBella's favorite things with her either but we were lucky enough to pick her up the evening of the spay. We took her in the a.m. and then picked her up by 4:30 p.m. that evening. We put the onesies on Izzy even though she uses a pee pad indoors all the time. For the first two days, she would limply drape herself whereever she was put so we knew when we put her on the floor and she walked to the peepad that we needed to unsnap the onesie and lift it onto her back. After two or three days she didn't need the onesie, we just kept an eye on her. Izzy is very dramatic though, she knows how to work the system. (Us being the system, lol)

If you have any more questions, we'll be happy to answer them, we all remember the frantic feeling at spaying time. Plus, everyone here has such a wealth of information.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Good luck tomorrow! Kallie is bathed once a month!! And she never stinks. You can use a non-rinse shampoo like Proline on the top part of her and on her face, etc.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Good luck with the spay tomorrow. I picked Sassy up in the afternoon after she was spayed. Are you sure you want to leave her overnight? I would want her home so I could keep a mommy's eye on her. As someone else mentioned you can use the waterless shampoo, but yes she will probably smell like that yellow/brown stuff they use in surgery. I forget the name. You can get that off with wipes and waterless shampoo. I used a onesie on Sassy at night and during the day when I had to be busy and I wanted to make sure she didn't mess with the sutures. (She took one of them out the very first night
in the morning we went back to the vet for him to see. It was fine because the surgeon had sutured past the incision anyway.)

We will be thinking about you and your baby.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
When Pixie was spayed I was also a little worried about taking up her food and water but she was fine and they performed surgery on her pretty early that morning so she wasn't without any food for very long. They gave her some Nutrical at the vet but told me not to feed her or let her drink water that evening because it might upset her stomach. I let her lick on ice cubes and did give her some more Nutrical and also caved and gave her some Gerber chicken sticks. I got her back the same day I dropped her off but I think leaving them overnight helps in their recovering without getting too hyper. She was hard to keep calm.. I ended up having to confine her away from Tuffy for a while because she was ready to start playing almost immediately.
I couldn't find a onesie small enough for her so I just kept on eye on her and she never messed with her incision site. Pixie stunk by the time 14 days was up even after spraying her with leave in conditioner every once in a while... I don't know whether it's because she's a Yorkie or what but phew, I was really glad to finally get her a bath. The waiting to hear from the vet is the hardest part.. once you hear that they are fine and recovering you will feel so much better! Good luck tomorrow and we'll be praying for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Kylee just got spayed about 4 weeks ago and she uses pee pads and I tried the onesie but she just ended up peeing all over it. I just watched her to make sure she didnt bother her incision and she did pretty well with leaving it alone. She was ok with not eating the night before but she didnt have to stay overnight at the vets.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good luck with your spay tomorrow Harley. Hope you have a speedy recovery
I left both my girls overnight at the animal hospital when they were spayed. They were totally fine the next day when I picked them up. I used a onesie on Gracie, but I didn't need anything on Brie as she left her incision alone.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Any word on Harley?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Oct 18 2005, 12:05 PM
Hi everybody, Harley's spay is tomorrow and I just don't remember much about Bella's spay.  It seems like I picked her up the next day and she was perfectly normal, have I blocked things out from my memory, or can it really go this smoothly for Harley
  Here are my issues:
      I'm concerned about her not getting any food after 10 tonight, I don't want her blood sugar to get too low, but I know I need to follow doctors orders.  Feed her as normal and follow the Dr.s instructions.  She may or may not be hungry when she comes home.  When we picked up chelsey she was back to her normal self only she was drinking so much water.../they said that was because of the anistetic they gave her made her thirsty.  I know they told me not to feed her to much after when we brought her home , so I gave her very little portions of food. every few hours like she was  a puppy again.

They are going to laugh at me tomorrow when i show up with her blanket and bone and food (for after the surgery), and toy!
They won't laugh at you... i left all that stuff there for chelsey as she did stay over night
Maybe they will put the phone by her ear when she wakes up.  It just doesn't seem right to make her have an operation and then leave her there all night.
I think they will give you the choice of picking her up right after  and bringing her back in the morning or leaving her over night. 
        I'm also worried about her recovery, she is a very hyper baby and jumps around a lot.  I guess it will help that she is contained at the vet for the first 20 hours or so, but after that?  I can't put her in a play pen because she can jump it, and I don't have a crate.  What we did was keep chelsey upstairs with us until she was better.  I bought her a extra long t-shirt that covered the stiches, so she could not get at them.  I had to take that cone thing of her head, it was getting in the way of everything.  chelsey also used the pee, pee pad and that worked good for her. She stayed in her bed all the time... your puppy will mostly sleep , chelsey was moving around a lot in her bed playing with her toys
      Someone mentioned using a baby onesie to keep them from bothering the surgery site, Harley uses pee pads, how does that work? 
      She can't have a bath for 14 days!  Is she going to stink? She should be fine.  just use a rince shampoo if need and wipe of with towel or paper towel.  chelsey never stinks unless she is rolling the mud.  With the onesie on keep up with the brushing her hair.  I did not and chelsey had so many matts when she was ready for a  bath.
Thanks everybody, I'll post as soon as the vet calls tomorrow and let you know how she's doing.  By the way, I know Nikki is getting spayed Thursday, hugs to you Kristi, I know how you feel

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=110907
[/QUOTE]

Try not to worry to much she will be home in no time at all. Best wishes

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi everyone, Harley's doing great! The vet just called me and said the surgery went very well and Harley is nice and alert. I asked them about picking her up today, and they said I could but they don't recommend it because she is so hyper and would be all over the place and bouncing around too much, so I guess I will have to wait until tommorrow. Bella on the other hand, is being quite the drama queen and is missing Harley like crazy. She is lying about pouting and giving me that "look". I'm sure you all know the "look", but she is eating so I'm sure she'll be ok until we pick up her sister tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your support, days like this are why I came to SM, thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
yayyyyyyyy great news, I'm so glad all went well for Harley, she will be home in not time and I do wish her a speedy recovery

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi everyone, just an update. Harley is doing great, she wants to lick her stitches so she might have to wear a funny collar tonight, but she's doing wonderfully. I thought there was something wrong with Bella because she wouldn't eat her dry dog food and even with scrambled eggs she would only chew on one side of her mouth. Long story short, I took her to the vet (right after I got back home with Harley, that was weird) and the vet found a broken off piece of Nylabone stuck betweeen her teeth and gums!! Anyway, she took it out and gave us antibiotics just in case, and Bella seems %100 improved now! The tooth problem was making her nose run and I had convinced myself that she had the dog flu AND a broken tooth, wow I'm glad i was wrong :D I think both babies are doing great now, so all is well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts