Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Butchie, the large-sized Malt I rescued in February, needs some advice on wardrobe essentials such as harnesses and collars.

He's a pretty big guy--probably 12 pounds or more now. His fur is quite short.

He hasn't been going anywhere much except in our big back yard and to the vets, and just a few times we've gone one block up the street and back. But I'd like to take him out for more walks, now that I know he's healthy and fully immunized and fairly bonded to me. :)

My thumbs are kind of weak, so I don't like the collars that have a pinch-type release. I have tried a couple martingale type collars, but if they are left on him for even a little while when he's not leashed up, he chews on the loose loop part, whether it is metal or cloth.

I have several basic nylon mesh harnesses. I was fitting one on him today and he got very excited, like he knew it meant going out for some fun. I let him run around the back yard with it on for a while, and almost immediately he got his jaw underneath the chest part and was chewing on it.

Any suggestions about harnesses? I wonder if the vest type might be less annoying to him so that he wouldn't try chewing it?

Butchie thanks you in advance because, although he doesn't know it, if he's properly outfitted, we can have more fun taking walks around the neighborhood! :)

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would recommend trying Lupine brand. They are guaranteed even if chewed. So you can get a replacement if chewed.
How are you with a traditional buckle collar? A nice leather buckle would work.
For the major chew monsters, I get a toggle choke chain. Just hook the leash to the wrong part and it won't act as a choke. However, the dog can't chew through the metal.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

A traditional buckle may be the best answer. Years ago I bought Mustang nylon collars which had nicely reinforced holes. I'll look for something similar. Leather sounds nice, too, although I prefer something that could be cut through in a hurry in case of emergency. :)

(I am a little paranoid ... my Spunky got a rear paw caught inside his collar several times while scratching. That was just about the end of collars in the house for my pets. )

·
Registered
351 Posts
Max and minnie both wear the choke free harness for walks. They dont seem bothered by it and the leather becomes really soft after a while.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I would reccomend a step-in harness and not walk with a collar. They are super fast, nothing to buckle, easy on their neck and you can just leave any collar on with tags if you like the rest of the time. Mine havnt worn collars in years. Also step-in go right on top of clothes if you dress him. We have several sets at home, car, and work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They have rolled leather harnesses that Poochie brand makes. Those are nice because you slip the dogs feet through the holes and and slide the fastener down. The leash is permanantly attached so you never have to clip the leash on. Its a bit hard to explain so I attached a photo (which I got off GlamourDog's website) They are nice but I wouldn't reccomend them for a crazy walker :no2: If the dog pulls backward he can slip out rather easily. I also use a rolled leather collar but always attach the leash to the harness

I'm a big fan of the Buddy Belt too but they may not be the best to buckle

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
You might like to try the Buddy-Belt as Jes said. I have a joint disease myself so always have to try thing like buckles and ties as my hand's are very weak, I can use the Buddy Belt on Max who is on the bigger size with no problem's at all with the sometimes limit range of motion for me.

Max is on the larger size and wear's a size four. I tend to have get item's that make my independence a factor but not jeopardize my pup's. If I can be any help please let me know :) How the D ring is on the top of the harness gives me wiggle room, I got it also on Jes's idea and have said this is the best Harness not to mention I can work it wonderful.

Max use to try and grab at his other harnesses not sure if this one just fit's that well or he likes the fit more, no issues with chewing or trying to get it off, he did not like the vest type ones at all. Hope you can find a solution and have a wonderful day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts