Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Hi DiDi! I bought a small harness for Abbey and when we brought her home at 12 weeks and 1 lb. 8 oz. , it was way too big. We had to go and buy a ferrett harness, which she is still wearing at 4 months old, 2 lbs 3 oz. It's so hard to believe how tiny they are until you try them on them. I even bought her a teacup size sweater since it was still cold here when I got her and I was housetraining to go outside and she couldn't even wear it - She walked right out of it!

If your puppy is going to bigger, it may fit though. Abbey's parents and grandparents were all 5 lbs and under.

Hope I helped and not made you more confused! Just keep your receipts - most pet stores are great about returns!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Abbey@Apr 16 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi DiDi!  I bought a small harness for Abbey and when we brought her home at 12 weeks and 1 lb. 8 oz. , it was way too big.  We had to go and buy a ferrett harness, which she is still wearing at 4 months old, 2 lbs 3 oz.  It's so hard to believe how tiny they are until you try them on them.  I even bought her a teacup size sweater since it was still cold here when I got her and I was housetraining to go outside and she couldn't even wear it - She walked right out of it!

If your puppy is going to bigger, it may fit though.  Abbey's parents and grandparents were all 5 lbs and under. 

Hope I helped and not made you more confused!  Just keep your receipts - most pet stores are great about returns!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53270
[/QUOTE]

oh wow. then the medium is gonna be HUGE. I'm taking it back later for a small. Thanx for your tip! Abbey is DARLING.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley easily wears a medium and he is 8 pounds.
I think your pup will walk right out of it! Probably a small too. I would get a small and put it back for later. You probably will need an XS or a cat/ferret harness at first. The pattern is cute though...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 16 2005, 01:17 PM
Brinkley easily wears a medium and he is 8 pounds.
I think your pup will walk right out of it! Probably a small too. I would get a small and put it back for later. You probably will need an XS or a cat/ferret harness at first. The pattern is cute though...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53275
[/QUOTE]

I dunno why I feel like such a bad mommy already. I can't get these accesories right. Thank Thank you!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Not a bad mommy at all...it is just really hard to gauge how tiny these babies really are...and I would have jumped on that cute harness set too!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 16 2005, 02:30 PM
Not a bad mommy at all...it is just really hard to gauge how tiny these babies really are...and I would have jumped on that cute harness set too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53287
[/QUOTE]

If your are good with a sewing machine you might want to monogram your maltese name and phone#, and address on or into the harness.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your are good with a sewing machine you might want to monogram your maltese name and phone#, and address on or into the harness.[/B]
Wow. That is a GREAT idea. I wish I could! I got a C in Home Economics in high school (I know how can anyone get a C...well I DID!) so...sratch that idea.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Oh, that is a really cute harness!!!
I'd buy it for Sylphide if she didn't chew through nylon

Don't feel bad about getting the harness right. You should have seen us try to figure out the harness thing with Sylphide when she was a pup. We couldn't even figure out how to put them on.
We got it down pat now though. Fitting Shrek was a cinch!

We started out with something called a comfort wrap, xtra small. It's easy to put on, and fit for the first few months. We followed that with the next size up.

The problem we had with Sylphide is that she would chew her way through her nylon harness and leashes in the few minutes of getting ready for a walk and going outside, or sitting in the car (we have three dogs, so getting ready for the walk is a complicated affair).

I finally ordered a wonderful pink leather harness that she can't chew through (I tell her: narnarnarnarna!). Shrek is still fitting in the comfort wrap. I'll also be ordering him a leather harness in the next size up very soon.

So, depending on how big your baby grows, you may go through one or two sizes....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by SylphidesMom@Apr 17 2005, 01:42 PM
We started out with something called a comfort wrap, xtra small.  It's easy to put on, and fit for the first few months.  We followed that with the next size up.
The comfort wrap sounds nice. Where did you get that? online? petco? petsmart?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi Didi,

I live in upstate NY, and there is a chain of specialty petshops here called Benson's Pet Center. That''s where we get the comfort wraps.

I found a place online that describes them. They are very inexpensive--excellent for a first puppy harness that will soon be discarded (we went through several since Sylphide was a chewer). Most of all, I like the fact that they go on so easily and don't put any pressure on the trachea.

The links I found are all part of shopping engines that don't hold a stable url--If you want to see the harness, google: Coastal comfort wrap adjustable harness. Generally, the large sizes come up, but they do carry xtra smalls in pink, purple, green, blue, red and black.

They certainly aren't cute or fancy--you can get one in pink, though. I was hesitant to buy Sylphide a more expensive one until I knew it would be her final fit. She now has the cute pink leather one I wanted. Not a comfort wrap, though. The step-in leather harness in a similar style to the comfort wrap costs $180.00

1 - 11 of 11 Posts