Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds weird but has anyone changed the name of their pup after having them for awhile? You see I have never cared for my Nadia's name. We considered many names but none seemed right, the hubs isn't wild about it either. Well, the other day, I was trying some of the sweaters I got from Etsy on my pups (more on that coming up in another post) and one that I put on Nadia looked particularly nice on her. It was a cool retro color of light teal with a high neck and I held her up to the hubs and said "doesn't she look a little like Audrey Hepburn?". The hubs totally agreed and then we looked at each other and said "Audrey". Well, what do you think? Nadia does respond to her (current) name and I would hate to confuse her and changing names can be a bit of a pain with records and all. I don't know, what do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Yes, I have a habit of changing names. With the rescues I have adopted I figured that a new name went well with a new home. They always adjust quickly.

Like many Maltese mom's I use nicknames all the time, too. They learn to respond to those as well. I say go for it. :D

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Yep. Snowball's name gets changed to ... *Sweetheart* ... *Pumpkin Pie* ... *Lovebug* ... *Turtle Dove* ... *Punkin* ... *Honey* ... *Precious* ... *Sweetie Pie" ... *Apple Dumplin'* ... all day long! He answers to every name! He knows who he is just by the sweet tone in my voice. :wub:

Snowball also knows when he is in big trouble. I change his name to ...*Snowball Zech* ... our last name. :HistericalSmiley:

Sometimes I think Snowball looks at me as to say ... "Mommy, I am not a turtle, or a dove, or a deer <-----(I always tell him he is so dear) or a bug ... I am a doggie."

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
LOL ~ Gigi

LBB (Little Blind Billy) was named Sigi (How sickening is that?) :HistericalSmiley:

Your wee little Johnny was named Snowflake (equally sickening) as it does not fit him at all.

My sweet Ringo's name was "Lewgi"... Yep I changed that one rather quickly. :blink:

I love the name, Audrey. It's beautiful.

Hey, Gigi, I just yell out "Hey Dumbass", and they all come running ~ :smtease::LOL:

·
Registered
483 Posts
My little Chi's name is Abigail, or Abbey, but I usually call her Girlie. She knows them all. Change her name and don't sweat it! As far as she is concerned, as long as the hugs, kisses and food are coming, it's all good!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pepper came to me with that name, but I figured that he was confused enough by being in a new home, that I wouldn't change his name. Silly me!

That said, he now answers to: Punky Monkey, Punks, Pepperoni, Silly Boy and Face.

And then there are times that he doesn't answer to anything unless I have a treat in my hand!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Mine all answer to pretty much anything. I just hold them and give them treats and call them their new name and in no time they're acclimated to it. Mine get called almost anything Pinkie,Pinkity Poo, Bitsy Bug ,Doodles, Doodle bug, Boo Boo,Smidgen, M&M.

They pretty much know they names and nicknames... If I add their last name and a serious tone,that's when they know they're in trouble...

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Keiko's AKC name is Total Chaos. The breeder called her "K-K."

When I brought her home, I changed her name to Keiko, and she recognized it almost immediately.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Reese is a retired 6 year old from a breeder and her name was formerly Trish. My son changed her name to Reese and she learned it pretty quickly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts