Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how the new security measures work with the dogs?

I'm wondering if they will allow me to walk through the scanner thingee, or if I have to do the pat down since I'll be holding Poppy.

Any ideas?

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Don't know about dogs.....but i'm flying to St. Thomas on Sunday....I think I'd rather be scanned than touched....:blush:

Maybe you could call the airline to find out how it works.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I'm opting for the machine. No one wants to look at this body anyway. :HistericalSmiley: When we were leaving Paris back in April there must have been some sort of heightened threat. We were at the gate and before boarding you were lead into a tiny room with 6 tables and 6 agents and they patted down EVERY flyer very thoroughly. Not an inch that they didn't cover with their hands...women patted women; men patted down men. They also went through everything in my purse and carryon. It took a really long time and it caused the flight to be delayed even more than it was. I was able to see the woman next to me's bra.:w00t: I'd rather take my chances with the machine.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Why don't they use scanners that would show also if something is wrong in your body ? Then give you the x-ray/image to show to your doctor. That way you would have a free scan that costs an arm and a leg to have done at an hospital. Wouldn't that be great ?:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tip: don't wear an underwire bra. If you have a pat down with a hand-held scanner the metal underwire sets off the scanner and then they may feel it to make sure it is underwire there! :eek:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't they use scanners that would show also if something is wrong in your body ? Then give you the x-ray/image to show to your doctor. That way you would have a free scan that costs an arm and a leg to have done at an hospital. Wouldn't that be great ?:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:
That is a great idea! :HistericalSmiley:

I just sent a note to Southwest about how dogs are handled now with the new security measures. I will post their response here as soon as it comes in.

The one piece of advice I can offer to anyone flying is to wear very tight clothes ... do NOT wear a dress or skirt! If they do the pat down on you, they will go up your dress or skirt. Gone are the days of dressing up to travel. :angry:

A lady out here showed up in a bikini. They did not make her go through the x-ray scanner, and they did not pat her down. Sounds like she is on to something. :LOL:

HUGz! Jules

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I can't be scanned, so I'd have to endure the cheap feel process. Did I say I hate to be touched? :angry:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'll be flying my puppy back home to Southern California from Florida this Saturday, so I'll report how that goes and what measures I encounter through security too. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle.

Good advice about the underwire and tight clothes. I'll be sure to heed those recommendations.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I'm wondering if I'd have to show my prothesis like the flight attendant. If it weren't so darn expensive, I'd be tempted to just say "you can keep it"!!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Don't know about dogs.....but i'm flying to St. Thomas on Sunday....I think I'd rather be scanned than touched....:blush:

Maybe you could call the airline to find out how it works.
My daughter has been scanned twice! I told her she was going to light up like a christmas tree.......she said she would rather go through the scanner than be touched!!!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
That is a great idea! :HistericalSmiley:
A lady out here showed up in a bikini. They did not make her go through the x-ray scanner, and they did not pat her down. Sounds like she is on to something. :LOL:

HUGz! Jules
Letting her go through doesn't seem like the right approach as the most recent incident involved a man with an explosive device in his underwear. Whose to say she didn't have one in her bikini bottom or top? I'm not in favor of the scanning at all for many reasons but one is that allowing an opt out does not ensure "safety" as the opt out alternative does not come close to covering what the scanner does/can.

Please let us know what the airline says Julez - I will have to fly in the next month or so (unless I can arrange the time off to drive) and we will have Hunter with us.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I flew last week from LAX to Denver and back with both dogs. Walked through the regular machine with both dogs with no problem.

They have the regular scanners they've always had (or since 2001 at least). If that goes off, then you are asked to go through the new scanner (xray) or if you opt out of that you get the pat down. If you are careful to remove your belt, shoes, scarves, coats, sunglasses, and pocket contents, you shouldn't have a problem going through the regular old machines.

And I've also had my underwire bra set off the handheld wands, so if you can get away without an underwire, I highly recommend it.

Hope that helps. ;)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I just flew to Hawaii and back. Didn't have the dogs, but we went through the old scanner, and there was nothing to it. I saw others going through the new one. I don't think I'll do it. I'd rather have the pat down. I'm flying to Texas on Thursday with the dog, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I am curious how everyone does with their dogs and the scanners. I flew (without pup) to Scottsdale and back (California) last week and didn't see anything different.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts