Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get a maltese puppy proubly around august-october (i am moving and want to wait till i am settled in) and i have been looking into breeders around me i know i am going to have to pay a pretty high price for a good dog but i really dont want to spend much more than $1000 less would of course be better but i am trying to be realilistic, there seem to be a lot of breeders in other parts of the country were i can get a dog for less then near me (everything always seems to cost more in florida
) so yeah if any of you have bought a puppy online i was wondering if i could get some advice on how i could know if i can trust people online i keep hearing about people posting photos of puppies that belong to other people and that worrys me. opps typo in the title i mean their

·
Registered
24 Posts
i bought my little baby from ben at koedamkennels.com he will let you pay payments and the shipping is cheap he puts them for 950.00 i purchased my lil girl for 750.00 and 136.00 to california.he answered all my questions and i had no problem you can check out his website sweetpeas mom :D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Lilly

i just saw this ad on puppyfind.com and the women is selling her maltese for 200.00 she has to do to living situation here is her email [email protected]thlink.net again i just started emailing her tonight and she sounds very nice the baby looked very cute online picture she posted
shoot her an email she is very sad according to what she told me because she said its very hard to depart from him and the fact that she isnt asking alot tells me she is just looking for a good home, again i know nothing else so you would have to do your own research
thanks and good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldn't go with anyone on Puppyfind. Honestly, it seems like a clearinghouse for backyard breeders.

The best bet is to go with a breeder whose home you can visit and whose dogs you can see. What area are you in? I can make some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in Florida i don't mind driving anywhere in state and maybe even south Geogia and Alabama...i have talked to a lot of breeders i just can't bring myself to pay $3000 for a pet puppy no matter how good its bloodlines are

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I found a breeder I like, I can visit them at home and check out the puppies and parents(I wanna wait till they are born to visit though becuase thats what I really want to see) I know I am not going to get as good of a dog from them as some of the other breeders I have talked to,I could get a dog that is like almost perfect fromteh right people but I dont need a perfect looking puppy just a happy healthy one. The proublem is the thing that first drew me to this breeder is the thing that concernes me the most...the price. Some of the breeders I looked into around here that were asking like $950 sounded pretty awful the the puppies would just be no good, while these breeder sound better than (i have talked to them a bit) them they are asking less $$$ which might be a bad sign. So if you could jsut take a look at the site or maybe you have heard of them and let me know Thanks a ton

Michelle's Malt Shoppe

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I emailed her today asking when the soonest i could visit after the puppies are born (I don't know if breeders let people come and look up the pupppies when they are like 2 days old or if you gotta wait till they are like a few weeks) I am going to go check it out as soon as I can and see what I think in person. If annyone has heard anything about them though,good or bad, i would really like to know thanks a ton.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey peoples that breeder i mentioned the litter i might buy from was born last night and they will be ready late august early september, i jsut sent an email asking when the soones i could come and see them would be what kind of answer should i expect should i be worryed if she lets me come to early or makes me wait to long?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She said she dosent sell the puppies until 10-12 weeks depending on each one, i am proubly going to bring my sister along becuase she lives really close to the breeder so maybe she will be able to help a little bit, i remember a while back you said she would take a deposit on a puppy as early as 7-14 days old but i am not doing to put a deposit down until i see something so i am just guessing that i could proubly see the puppies at 2 weeks (she hasnt repilied to me yet but i just emailed her a few hours ago...i think i am going to call her sometime tommorrow)maybe i should start a new topic becuase i have so totaly changed my question lol

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just called her , she soulnd really nice on the phone although i guess that doesnt mean to much, she said it wouldbe best for me ot come when the puppies are about 4 weeks old to see them, cant take one home until 10-12weeks , she has 2 male puppies just born that are going to be $700 but she couldnt tell me to much about them becuase they are like 3 days old they will come with 1 year against genetic medical stuff and are akc she said this is the only animal she breeds i am excited but if anythng about this sounds like someone isnt right let me know i want to get a good puppy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
She sounds like a responsible breeder by keeping the puppy quarantined against outside infections for 4 weeks and by not letting the puppy go until 10-12 weeks.

I would certainly take careful note of the environment when you visit even though I'm sure it will be difficult to take your eyes off the puppy of your dreams, Lilly!

I'd also be interested in what she says about you breeding the puppy in the future. Many breeders whose goal is to improve the breed are kinda picky about which of their litters should be bred. Usually, they keep the top ones for breeding and/or show and sell the others for pets with restrictions against breeding. If this lady is just breeding for pets, it may not matter.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks once again. I already asked or was givin answers to most of the questions Pico's Parent and Nichole mentioned, i doubt you care to know every single pointless detail about this but i just want to post a lot of what she said sso somone can let me know if something dosent sound right.

First what Pico's Parent mentioned, she said i coudl come and see the puppies froma distance at 2 weeks but i wouldnt be able to come very close or touch them...which didnt sound like a good enough reason to make a 6 hour drive lol, about breeding this lady only is breeding for pets none of her dogs are champions so i have no expectation of getting one just a healthy puppy not totaly off the standard.

Nichole she answered most of those questions for me without having to ask but i will ask her the ones she didnt answer yet next time i talk to her (which will proubly become more fequent if this turns out the be the puppy for me)you mentioned in a post a while back i should find out what her other animals she mentioned on her web site were they are 2 indoor outdoor cats
One thing right now i have heard i should be a little weary of is that she owns both the sire and the dam and i think i remember hearing that it is often better for the breeder jsut to have the dam then find a stud elswhere but maybe becase she is jsut breeding pets that isnt nessasary

·
Registered
382 Posts
You can find some good breeders this way but you are going to find terrible ones too. Hollybelle had a great site, pretty dogs, beautiful pictures, happy stories... so just because thye have a wonderful website you still need to be able to speak with people, see the dogs, etc.
Read the following thread from yorkiesdirect. Just be very careful whom you buy from, check things out!

http://www.yorkiesdirect.com/forum/thread-...7&posts=3#23981

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Luvmypupster- I am going to see this breeder in person on the 1st.....i am waiting this long because i have to make a 6-8 hour drive to get there and if i go any earlyer i can't see the puppies becuase she said she dosent let people visiting touch them until they are 4 weeks old

1 - 20 of 31 Posts