Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my breeder told me that she has never had this happen in her puppies before. She said that the hair may grow back, but he does have very little hair near his nose and the top of his head. Which is weird since a lot of her Maltese dogs have won awards before for their coat. Has anyone had this before? Any recommendations on what to do? Read something about Omega 3, but definitely don't want to do anything without talking to a vet.

He is 12 weeks old by the way, and his sisters had a lot of hair.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of them won a national award. She goes to a lot of the events for all breeds and maltese shows. She is also the top maltese breeder in my state and is registered with the American Maltese Association. We looked up the parents breed and everything came back Maltese. Saw the mom too. I wouldn't understand why she would have it mix with a chihuahua?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh I'm sorry to say, but that is a chihuahua or chihuahua mix.

The short hair and the ears are definitely not maltese.

What awards has the breeder won for her dog's coats?
One of them won a national award. She goes to a lot of the events for all breeds and maltese shows. She is also the top maltese breeder in my state and is registered with the American Maltese Association. We looked up the parents breed and everything came back Maltese. Saw the mom too. I wouldn't understand why she would have it mix with a chihuahua?

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
5,897 Posts
Uh I'm sorry to say, but that is a chihuahua or chihuahua mix.

The short hair and the ears are definitely not maltese.

What awards has the breeder won for her dog's coats?
I think a Maltichi, one of those designer breeds, imo.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
That certainly doesn't look like a Maltese. When you say she won "top awards," what exactly do you mean? Where has she shown her dogs? How many have been "finished" to champions and grand champions? Breeders who are members of the American Maltese Association can certainly raise other breeds as well, but where she shows and who the champions are is far more telling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So my breeder told me that she has never had this happen in her puppies before. She said that the hair may grow back, but he does have very little hair near his nose and the top of his head. Which is weird since a lot of her Maltese dogs have won awards before for their coat. Has anyone had this before? Any recommendations on what to do? Read something about Omega 3, but definitely don't want to do anything without talking to a vet.

He is 12 weeks old by the way, and his sisters had a lot of hair.
Your baby is adorable but I have to agree that he appears to be a chihuahua mix. Have your vet do a DNA test to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That certainly doesn't look like a Maltese. When you say she won "top awards," what exactly do you mean? Where has she shown her dogs? How many have been "finished" to champions and grand champions? Breeders who are members of the American Maltese Association can certainly raise other breeds as well, but where she shows and who the champions are is far more telling.
As far as I know she is always going to AKC shows, and I believe her award came from the AMA National. She also goes to other local state/nearby state dog shows. I have provided a redacted contrct that I got from her. She is like 70 so there are misspelled words. She used to raise terriers for like 10 years, but stopped and has been raising maltese for like 20+ years.

I should be able to get my money back correct?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,048 Posts
Sorry, I honestly don't know what to say.

·
Super Moderator
10,322 Posts
I'm curious who wrote the comment "coat does not conform to standard" on the contract. By now, you're probably falling in love with your puppy so returning it may not be what you want. At the very least, I would have a conversation with the seller to learn more about the sire and dam and to make sure the seller is aware of your concerns. DNA testing in dogs isn't an exact science - many of our maltese may have test results that say there are other breeds involved for a number of reasons - but if you do test and the results indicate a significant % of breed other than maltese, the breeder needs to know and the two of you should discuss the implications of those findings.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious who wrote the comment "coat does not conform to standard" on the contract. By now, you're probably falling in love with your puppy so returning it may not be what you want. At the very least, I would have a conversation with the seller to learn more about the sire and dam and to make sure the seller is aware of your concerns. DNA testing in dogs isn't an exact science - many of our maltese may have test results that say there are other breeds involved for a number of reasons - but if you do test and the results indicate a significant % of breed other than maltese, the breeder needs to know and the two of you should discuss the implications of those findings.

Good luck!
She is the one who wrote that, and I will be getting a test done. We do want to keep him, but if it is a chihuahua mix we would feel really hurt that we went to a known good breeder from the AMAs own website and did our research that came down to not getting what we payed for/deceived. We will contact her and let her know about our concerns

1 - 14 of 14 Posts