Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I just bought Bella some new food, and as always I am paranoid. Has anyone tried Flint River Ranch with their babies? Bella seems to love it, she had quit eating the brand I was using. However, if anyone has had experience with this brand, i would love to know what you think.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im feeling better, its so nice to have somewhere to go for advice. Everyone I know has huge dogs and their advice is sweet, but its so much better to be able to talk with other Maltese moms! If I worried about my own health half as much as I do Bella's, I would live forever

·
Registered
499 Posts
I used it for about 3 years for my first Maltese--he loved it, did very well on it, and it was easy for him to digest. It was the only food for a long time that didn't trigger his IBS and pancreatitis. It was also highly recommended by his vet, and also by the UC Davis vet nutritionist. I wanted to use it for my two Maltese now, but the kibble is too hard for them to bite into, and it didn't soften well in water.
Quincymom

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@May 18 2005, 03:45 PM
I used it for about 3 years for my first Maltese--he loved it, did very well on it, and it was easy for him to digest. It was the only food for a long time that didn't trigger his IBS and pancreatitis. It was also highly recommended by his vet, and also by the UC Davis vet nutritionist.  I wanted to use it for my two Maltese now,  but the kibble is too hard for them to bite into, and it didn't soften well in water.
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63298
[/QUOTE]
Hmm.. It's weird that Tuffy can't digest it that well since your guy could. Tuffy doesn't have colitis or IBS which was my first thought when he started having tummy problems, the vet ruled those two out after tests so he has always suspected his food but I wasn't so sure.

·
Registered
499 Posts
"Hmm.. It's weird that Tuffy can't digest it that well since your guy could. Tuffy doesn't have colitis or IBS which was my first thought when he started having tummy problems, the vet ruled those two out after tests so he has always suspected his food but I wasn't so sure."

Dogs, like people are different in how they react to foods. Maybe FRR just doesn't agree with Tuffy, I would switch him back to a food that he digests well. Also, I did try a fish based food with Oliver, (not FRR), and he had terrible gas on that, even though he never had diarrhea with it. It could be the fish and chips formula that is affecting Tuffy?
Quincymom

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup has been on a mix of FRR and another kibble for 3-4 years. i usually mix it with chicken soup brand or nature's recipe for toy breeds (when i can find it). no reason why i mix it particularly, but sometimes the buttercup goes thru "fasting" periods and she might pick out one kind of kibble over the other. it could just be all in MY head, too. who knows. she doesnt complain... empty bowls pretty much every night. LOL.

ann marie and the "kibble with cheese, and supersize those fries, please" buttercup

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by TheButtercup@May 18 2005, 09:43 PM
the buttercup has been on a mix of FRR and another kibble for 3-4 years.  i usually mix it with chicken soup brand or nature's recipe for toy breeds
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63403
[/QUOTE]

I have also been mixing it with Chicken Soup brand. Bella eats both, and now I'm feeling I made a good decision, because she eats throughout the day, not just when I'm eating. I feel like she hated her original food, I feel kind of rotten for taking so long to switch to something else
but at least its obvious now that she loves her new food

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+May 24 2005, 10:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TheButtercup
@May 18 2005, 09:43 PM
the buttercup has been on a mix of FRR and another kibble for 3-4 years.  i usually mix it with chicken soup brand or nature's recipe for toy breeds
I have also been mixing it with Chicken Soup brand. Bella eats both, and now I'm feeling I made a good decision, because she eats throughout the day, not just when I'm eating. I feel like she hated her original food, I feel kind of rotten for taking so long to switch to something else

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64719
[/B][/QUOTE]

I mix the chicken soup with Prairie. It is also on the Whole Dog Journal top 10 list. Have you tried it?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by kab+May 25 2005, 04:42 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2005, 10:09 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TheButtercup
@May 18 2005, 09:43 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64719

[/QUOTE]

I mix the chicken soup with Prairie. It is also on the Whole Dog Journal top 10 list. Have you tried it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65218
[/B][/QUOTE]
I haven't tried Prairie myself, since bella is finally eating well, i guess i will stick to this plan as long as I can
The Whole Dog Journal is pretty reliable though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts