Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since Gracie is such a tiny girl, i am constantly being asked, "she's a teacup dog, right?" and i dont want to say yes, becouse i dont want people who absolutely love her decide to get a "teacup" maltese, becouse i know that they dont really exist, but i hate having to tell them, "no there really isnt such a thing as a teacup dog, she is just small for her breed." anyone else have this problem?? its just anoying, and why do so many people have the idea that teacup dogs exist? you think some people would know, but they dont! what a strange world we live in!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I would guess that 90% of the people in this country don't know why BYBs are not the best place to get a puppy or that there aren't really teacup Malts, etc. My experience has been that the "average" person is clueless. Forums like this are very informative and most of us here wouldn't have known about teacups and BYBs if it weren't for SM. So, I have started to lower my expectations of the general public!!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I would guess that 90% of the people in this country don't know why BYBs are not the best place to get a puppy or that there aren't really teacup Malts, etc. My experience has been that the "average" person is clueless. Forums like this are very informative and most of us here wouldn't have known about teacups and BYBs if it weren't for SM. So, I have started to lower my expectations of the general public!!
Can't help it but agree.

For me personally, forums (and the Internet in general) were my school that taught me about BYB, puppymills, petshops, the term that breeders who breed for greed love to use 'TCUP'...etc

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
:aktion033:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Awww your baby is precious. I have never got that with my two, and wouldn't know many things if it were not for SM, that is for sure. But you can use that opportunity to educate, pass on that knowledge, as patiently as you can, and I know it's hard. My saying is Teacups are dishes, not furbabies :). Hubby and I were at the groomers, and there was a man there, and proudly boasted...this is a teacup poodle. Oh I petted his baby, and gushed over his dog, but also let him know, there really is no such thing as teacup in any breed, but your dog sure it a beauty. And you know, but the time I was done, there was a look of understanding on his face.

I've shared this before, but prior to having Mia and Leo spayed/neutuered, I can't tell you the number of times, people were begging me for "one of their pups". I'm telling you, it took my breath away. But, after so many times, I was able to compose myself, explain why it would be so wrong of me to breed Mia and Leo and that I am strictly a pet owner. I went into every reason out there. The most pesky lady who nearly asked hubby and I almost every day, I don't think she still understood, but did eventually adopt a daschund from a shelter, and she is in love with him.

So, I know it's hard, but we are lucky to have this forum. And I pass on whatever I learn as best I can.

Your baby is a sweetheart and I can understand your frustration.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
prior to having Mia and Leo spayed/neutuered, I can't tell you the number of times, people were begging me for "one of their pups". I'm telling you, it took my breath away. But, after so many times, I was able to compose myself, explain why it would be so wrong of me to breed Mia and Leo and that I am strictly a pet owner. I went into every reason out there. The most pesky lady who nearly asked hubby and I almost every day, I don't think she still understood, but did eventually adopt a daschund from a shelter, and she is in love with him.
That is one of the things that I face with people who learn about my malts for the first time - they go for something similar to "are u planning to breed them? I would love to have one of their puppies". Kat's response "um! Not really. Crystal can't have puppies; she is spayed". Most reactions I get make me look as if I am so cruel for stopping them from having puppies! With some, it isn't worth explaining the reasons or educating because no matter how hard I try in the best way I can, I will still be cruel in their eyes. They just don't get it.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Maltese are such tiny dogs in comparison to most other breeds, so to the average person, they are like little stuffed toys. I would just answer saying that there is no such thing as a "teacup" dog, but your Maltese is in the "toy size group". You could also just say that "no, she's not a teacup dog, but she happens to be on the smaller size of the standard". How small is she??

My perception of size used to be different...I used to think Beagles, Cockers, Shelties were "small dogs". Now I think they are gigantic! lol

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I get asked that all the time of Ava too. I just tell them that she's a bit "under the AKC standard". I also explain that the breeder was holding her back for show but she wasn't growing - and that's how I ended up getting her.

Although the standard calls for under 7 lbs....4 - 6 being perferred, and overall quality is most important. I choose to believe Ava has overall quality..... :innocent: I showed her for 6 months and she took best of breed one time at a little under 3 lbs. Each judge has their own personal opinion.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I get it all the time with Tyler especially since we have some giant dogs and tons of them around here. Don't get how you keep a dog that size in a NYC apt but that's a whole other thing. Whenever they say it I do use it as a teaching moment. I say "No there is no such thing as a teacup Maltese. That's a marketing term unscrupulous breeders use. He's just over 4 lbs and breed standard is 4-7 lbs." I've really gotten great responses to it...the "I didn't know that" reaction and I feel like I've attempted to make a little dent in the BYB and puppy mill armor. A teacup size dent. :blush::smrofl:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do love being able to educate the public about such things, but it would be nice to have some peace when out with Gracie other than being bombarded with questions! Gracie is around 3 pounds, though im not sure if she is quite there yet!
i usually say that there really isnt such thing as a teacup but that she is on the smaller end of the standard, but sometime, when its just a sweet old lady, i dont say anything... :). And now that i am training her to be my psychiatric service dog, i know i can plan for many more looks and interrogations in the future!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
We get the opposite, we get "what happened to him?" and "he doesn't look like a maltese - he's HUGE!". Now, Hunter has some funny measurements and might be a little bigger than the standard as he weighs in at between 9 and 10 pounds but he's not a GIANT! I usually explain that we don't know where he came from but that he was likely the result of BYB. That usually opens the door to a great conversation (if the person is willing and is a dog person). Other times they just tell me that they wouldn't have bought him and that their friend's dog is having puppies soon. I think you could take the same route with Gracie and explain that she's under standard and ideally she should weigh more but that there is no such thing as a teacup and many who use that term are BYB or puppymills. If someone wants to know more they will ask.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I do love being able to educate the public about such things, but it would be nice to have some peace when out with Gracie other than being bombarded with questions! Gracie is around 3 pounds, though im not sure if she is quite there yet!
i usually say that there really isnt such thing as a teacup but that she is on the smaller end of the standard, but sometime, when its just a sweet old lady, i dont say anything... :). And now that i am training her to be my psychiatric service dog, i know i can plan for many more looks and interrogations in the future!
Are you still planning on showing her? What a special little girl she is !

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
That is exactly what I say Susan.

My daughter in law just asked me if he was a toy. I said all Maltese are a toy. She was shocked. It's a misconception most people have and I'm happy to inform them, but I know it sometimes can be irritating too. How can everyone think they are teacups or that just your dog is a toy breed? I guess the Maltese breed isn't well known? I learned when I was researching what breed I would like and obcviously from SM. I cannot imagine big dogs in the city either! Wow...I thought everyone in the city would prefer small dogs, but hey, guess you never know huh?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts