·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so tired of hearing about famous men (and any men for
that matter) having affairs that I could just scream! :angry:
I try to avoid hearing about the stories of the famous ones
... I change the TV channel or don't click on the link... but
it's everywhere and the problem seems to be growing.

First we had Tiger Woods, then Jesse James (I still can't
believe that he did that to Sandra Bullock!), and now I just
read possibly the worst of all... that the former football
player who is now a broadcaster Tiki Barber is leaving his
wife for a young NBC intern on his birthday... and his wife is 8 months
pregnant with twins! Kids look up to Tiger Woods and also to
Tiki Barber. A student in my class just did an oral presentation
about Tiki and his brother Ronde..... nice role models... right?

What is wrong with these guys? Has common decency flown
out the window? I guess having money and fame doesn't
stop anyone from being a jerk... it probably makes it even
easier. I feel very sorry for their wives.

OK.... thanks for letting me vent...

Debbie

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Yes, it is so dishearting!:w00t: The one that I felt the most for was Sandra Bullock. She seemed to worship him and saying when she got the oscar that he had her back and she had never had anyone do that before.:angry: I have always thought that if a person dies and has wronged another, that they should have to feel the pain of someone that they had hurt.....the exact same pain. I think the thing that really gets me is that they were so careless and could bring something home to infect their partner. I don't think I could take these men back.......period!!! I should not say that unless I have walked in their shoes I guess. The broken trust would really do me in........and one more thing, after they have been brought out in the open, they say that they only want to make the marriage work.:blink: Some men really do seperate sex from love........not all men are like that though!!!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I don't really believe this is about sex or love. It's about power and the mentality of "I do it because I can". We've had past presidents do the same.
No will power or the desire to restrain themselves. It's an
old story and still just as sad today as it was in caveman times....not that I quite remember caveman times! :LOL:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I can relate to where you're coming from. It's like, WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE??? You get married for a REASON. I know women are just as guilty as men with cheating & affairs, so I am not only pointing my finger at men. I just cannot seem to understand why you would get married to your best friend if you can't even be 100% honest with them about your feelings in the relationship. I have always told my husband that if at any time he was unhappy and wanted out (or thought he wanted to be with someone else), to TELL ME before anything happens. People can blame it on sex addiction, broken communication in a marriage, etc, but it all comes down to the idiot who did the act. I could never stay married to a person who cheated on me.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
My take, FWIW. I'm no expert, by a long shot.

1. Marriage doesn't seem to be looked upon as a lifetime commitment anymore. If a person gets married and figures that they can always get a divorce if it doesn't work out, instead of promising to work out problems (not abuse, problems) and stay together forever, then where's the commitment? Why bother getting married?

2. People don't really take enough time to get to know a person inside, both good and bad, before they marry. They concentrate on the physical side, financial stuff, material stuff, and other stuff. It may sound old fashioned, but character counts and to know a person's character, you have to be around them for a good long while and see them in good and bad circumstances.

3. Some people who are very high profile cannot handle it, and seem to suffer with being on power trips that make them think that lousy morals are okay.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Yes, it is so dishearting!:w00t: The one that I felt the most for was Sandra Bullock. She seemed to worship him and saying when she got the oscar that he had her back and she had never had anyone do that before.:angry: I have always thought that if a person dies and has wronged another, that they should have to feel the pain of someone that they had hurt.....the exact same pain. I think the thing that really gets me is that they were so careless and could bring something home to infect their partner. I don't think I could take these men back.......period!!! I should not say that unless I have walked in their shoes I guess. The broken trust would really do me in........and one more thing, after they have been brought out in the open, they say that they only want to make the marriage work.:blink: Some men really do seperate sex from love........not all men are like that though!!!

I believe the same way you do, Dianne.

In the past, I've lived what these women have experienced. My ex died this past December ... and, although I know God makes the final judgement ... I do hope that my ex feels the pain and horror he put both me and my children through. Except for my closest friends who have known me for years ... it would be hard for others to believe the horrific things he did ... that has left physical and emotional scars over forty years later. I ended up in the hospital for almost two months due to his making me very ill physically. And, of course, physical abuse of any kind leaves emotional scars, too.

During the time I was in the hospital ... his mistress slept in my bed. You would not believe the evidence she left behind so that I knew she was there in what was supposed to be the home of me, my children, and husband. It still pains me to go back to that time and think about it. So, of course, I am one who would leave Tiger Woods or Sandra Bullock's husband. But, that's me and because I went through a lot of what they did.

After that, I never wanted my ex to touch me again. And, I did divorce him. I asked for nothing ... except the custody of my children. I wouldn't even take alimony from him.

I waited ten years to remarry ... even though I received three marriage proposals that would have given me a life of luxury. But, I lost trust in men. Now I am married to a loving and devoted man that I have been married to for going on twenty-nine years. We lived together for a year ... so, we've been together almost thirty years.

Personally, I have always felt as though women over the years have enabled men to get away with a lot of the cheating and sexual excuses. Suddenly a lot of these guys are crying *sexual addiction* ... I even heard this jerk on CNN say "that's the way men are when it comes to sex."

I don't know why it surprised me to hear Jenny McCarthy and Jim Carrey just split up, too.

Oh, and I am in the minority as far as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt goes. I don't care how much credit that woman gets for helping the world ... she has the money to do it and still gets to travel all over the world and live the life of luxury. How many nannies do they have, too? Give me a break. There are so many people out in this world who work their butts off and sacrifice to help others ... who are not in the paper and news every day.

Okay, I will get off my soap box. And, despite it all ... there are a lot of wonderful men out there.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think Dianne had the perfect choice in words with "disheartening".

I'm still young, but seeing things like this makes me wonder if there really are good and honest men out there, or just ones who hide these tendencies/desires better. I'm not saying every man cheats, but when I'm in a relationship, I don't even THINK about anyone else. The option isn't on the table. I wonder if most men have that mental boundary.

I know, like with most things, that the 'bad' get more publicity than the 'good', but with society now leaning more and more toward instant gratification and doing what you want when you want without regard for commitment or morals, I'm wondering if honest, monogamous, loving relationships are going to become fewer and farther between... :(

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
This cheating is nothing new. Its just that the national media reports it now because it sells magazines and people tune in to the channels that report it. Years ago it was hidden, it happened all the time, but no one talked about it. Friends never told, wives knew and ignored it, now its news fodder.....between the politicians and the celebrities its a tie of media ugliness. The few that never cheat are never news worthy. The sad part is the poor example these cheater men set for young males. Its very sad. We shouldn't be lulled into thinking all was that great in the past because marriages stayed together. Many miserable marriages lasted years because women martyred themselves or

1. had no choice economically
2. had no choice religion wise
3. were controlled by the man
4. stayed together "for the kids"
5. didn't think they deserved happiness
6. etc

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I have no idea who Tiki Barber is - actually this is the first time I've even heard the name...and thank goodness. He sounds like a piece of work. It's sickening that people would look up to someone completely void of any ethics or morals. yuck. (same goes for the rest of them in my book too).

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe the same way you do, Dianne.

Oh, and I am in the minority as far as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt goes. I don't care how much credit that woman gets for helping the world ... she has the money to do it and still gets to travel all over the world and live the life of luxury. How many nannies do they have, too? Give me a break. There are so many people out in this world who work their butts off and sacrifice to help others ... who are not in the paper and news every day.

Okay, I will get off my soap box. And, despite it all ... there are a lot of wonderful men out there.
I am no fan of Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt for that matter... the fact is I never got over what they did to Jennifer Aniston. And I agree with your statement completely... although it is very nice, it's not that hard to help others when you have more than enough.

And you're right... there are a lot of good men out there... and thankfully I have been married to one for almost 27 years now.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
A lot of creeps out there. Male and female. Al's first wife cheated on him the whole time they dated and while married. He didn't find out until much later Jason wasn't even his. Her folks made Al marry her since the bio dad was actually already married w/ 8 kids and they knew it too. Years later in a custody battle we found out. We ended up adopting him to have custody.

Al was bitterly divorced for 8 years when I met him,but eventually he learned to trust. They were married for less than a year but once someone gives you the something that requires 2 double shots of penicilin,forgiveness is out the window!

Took a long time for me to undo the damage she did.
Her stupidity and lack of foresight was my lucky day. We've been married almost 27 years and I know I'm blessed...everytime I turn on the TV and the news.

Elin forgives Tiger my foot,she's hanging in there for the money,no different than the women he was with. sorry but to me that's prositution wrapped up w/ a wedding ring. sorry but it's still "doing it for money".

I don't know if I could forgive cheating once,but I know I couldn't forgive mutiple ongoing cheats in my own bed,in my own house.

I'm so sick of all this cheating in the news,we have wars,starvation,earthquakes and devistation all over,plus light hearted stories of strength and courage. I'd much rather hear about those than one more commentary on Tiger Woods and Jessie James.
Makes you wonder what the preocupation w/ sex is all about? Lack of occupation w/ sex maybe? this crap has been in the news longer than Haiti and Chiles' earthquakes.... Personally it's none of our business,these people should not be used as role models.I would hope parents would be filling that void... Celebs aren't role models,they're just at the right time,right place ,with a lot of flash and a lot of cash..

Mother Theresa feeding the poor,there's a role model.

My 2nd grade teacher who worked w/ kids w/ mental disabilities and set up food kitchens after she retired from teaching,that's a role model. I bet we all can name special people,no one ever heard of,that would make better role models.
Well off to bed now,it's storming and I have 5 trembling fluffs that want "mommy to protect". Nitey night!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Sexual addiction, my *******

First of all we should not idolize those people. They are no role models. Another one who makes me mad and consider a hypocrite is Mel Gibson.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Sex addiction my arse too!!!! Soon they'll be using that to get SSI disability,open clinics all over the country to treat it. I'd like to be a fly on the wall of one of their group sessions...:w00t:

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
It is hard to hear about!

Sometimes, though, I think it's just the media that is "stuck" on these scandals these days. I mean, infedelity is nothing new--it's just now broadcast to the world. WHY do they think we need to be beat over the head with it and hear every, sickening detail, is another story. Yuck.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
The media gives what gets high viewership. We need to quit watching this train wreck trash. I just turn off the news programs that want to mull it over and over.
It's not on the local news or even the national news in the early eve.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There have been cheating husbands since the beginning of time. Once a dog always a dog and once a cheater always a cheater. Its up to the women they've hurt to kick them to the curb. I know of a woman who has been married to the same cheating husband for well over 20 years. Knew from the beginning that he was cheating. She kicked him out a few times but keeps taking him back. She leads a comfortable life financially and doesn't have to work while driving a new car every other year. Finally, I had had enough of giving her a shoulder to cry on. As far as I'm concerned she gets what she deserves. I finally told her that If she doesn't think she deserves better and is willing to stay with him just for security then she needs to stop bitching about him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts