Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents and other relatives came to California recently for my graduation, and my Mom fell absolutely in love with Coco. Now she's wanting a maltese to call her own. She's a retired registered nurse and my brother will soon be off to college and I'm already living on my own, so I guess she wants another baby to spoil.

There are no Hawaii breeders on the breeder list and even if she were to buy a puppy here in California and have the puppy go on the plane with her, the quarantine laws are so strict that the puppy would have to stay in quarantine for 3 months (?).

So my Mom is sad. My Dad has a German Shepherd to call his own, and she just wanted a lap dog. If anybody knows of any reputable breeders in Hawaii, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Do you know if there are dog shows in Hawaii?. If so, perhaps your mom could attend one and meet some of the folks who show Maltese and maybe they have puppies or could recommend someone.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
but your mom might not want to get a dog if she cant travel with it, you know? like when she visits you, it'd be great to have company on the plane and then her dog and your dog can play together. tell her to move out of hawaii.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Sunnydays!! Which part are you from? I'm from there originally (Oahu). I did find people who live in Aiea (on my malt search awhile back) and they show their malts (and Cavalier King Charles) but i'm not sure if they would sell their pups... If they don't, hopefully they can refer you to someone else in HI.
I think they changed the quarantine laws from 2-3 months to a week now? You should double check and see to make sure; I just asked my friend and thats what she heard... If it is changed, so much better than the 3 months but still, 1 week is still too long to be away from your baby! I don't think I would even want to go through that, I used to hear bad stories about the quarantine!:(
Good luck on your search for your mom!!
heres the site:
Halakea Cavaliers & Malts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Jun 5 2005, 01:08 AM
Hi Sunnydays!! Which part are you from? I'm from there originally (Oahu). I did find people who live in Aiea (on my malt search awhile back) and they show their malts (and Cavalier King Charles) but i'm not sure if they would sell their pups... If they don't, hopefully they can refer you to someone else in HI.
I think they changed the quarantine laws from 2-3 months to a week now? You should double check and see to make sure; I just asked my friend and thats what she heard... If it is changed, so much better than the 3 months but still, 1 week is still too long to be away from your baby! I don't think I would even want to go through that, I used to hear bad stories about the quarantine!:(
Good luck on your search for your mom!!
heres the site:
Halakea Cavaliers & Malts
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69151
[/QUOTE]

Very nice site and beautiful dogs... it's a small world... Prima has CH MELODYLANE KEEP TH'CHANGE LUV in her pedigree and so does Catcher!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
All the malts on that site were precious...but I was especially fond of Magic.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
We went to Hawaii for our honey-moon. We went to maui and kawai . We did not see one maltese. They do have lots of cats. All the nice dogs we saw were in the humain society and I do mean nice looking dogs pure bread too.

I would love to retire there or get one of those condo resorts.
Now that I see they have maltese there . It wil give me more insentive.

My girlfriend has two puppies they were flying from Canada to Trinidad. Poor puppies got quartine for 6 months. I was not a nice thing and very stressfull for them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just as an aside ~ I believe that Petsilk has a product that you can use to add colors to a dogs coat. I'm not sure why anyone would really want to do that, but at least it's a product made for animal use. Here's a link.

Pet Silk Colors

·
Registered
365 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 5 2005, 09:01 AM
We went to Hawaii for our honey-moon.  We went to maui and kawai .  We did not see one maltese.

On Oahu I used to see quite a bit of people w/ malts... When I was visiting on one of my more recent trips, i was in Banana Republic @ the mall and this lady had 2 of them in a stroller :D

I like Magic too!
cute pics of him!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Jun 5 2005, 09:25 AM
Last fall I saw a Maltese in Waikiki.  Guy lived there.  I wished I had my camera with me but it was back at the hotel
  The guy had tinted the dog's ears and tail lavender! (I didn't ask how). <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69236
[/QUOTE]

Just my opinion but why would anyone want to do that! Easter eggs are for dyeing, not dogs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I moved to Kailua, Hawaii on Oahu with my family 9 years ago and only lived there for a year (we moved for my dad's job). We had a little Yorkie back then named Tiffy and we had to put her in quarantine for three months. By the time we got her out of there she was so fat because the people that worked in quarantine loved her so much they would bring her into the office and give her treats all day. My mom was so mad, but my dad just thought it was funny… She was originally 8 pounds, but when we got her back she was 15!
I'm happy to hear that Hawaii has relaxed their quarantine laws; I always thought that three months was a little extreme.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts