Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased an HE front load washing machine & dryer within the last 2 years? I'm specifically interested in Samsung & LGs. I know they require more care than a top loader, such as wiping the boot & glass down after a load, and leaving the washer door open when not in use. What do you love & hate about yours?

I have access to ConsumerReports.com so I know which brands/models are rated highly, and I know any one brand is not the "best", it depends on each specific model. I do know that I do not want an Electrolux, Bosch, Fridgidaire, or GE. I'm curious if any of you own a Samsung or LG. :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have the Electrolux, and I sooooo love them!! Not sure why you don't want them.

Personally, I would not get the LG's. I have friends on FB that post over and over about the horrible repair history and problems with anything LG.

As you said, as long as you wipe down the washer door and rubber gasket around the door, you will have no problems at all.

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
My sister in law bought a Whirlpool front load washer and dryer and right off the bat, trouble. The appliance store finally took it back and she got the best Samsung front load washer and dryer and she has had it about a year and loves it. She raves about it all the time. I want an LG front load washer and dryer but someone on her got a refrigerator by LG and has had trouble with it.......so the only thing I can tell you is buy from a reputable dealer and they will stand behind their product. I would NOT buy from Sears because they make you (from what I have heard) jumb through hoops and never replace hardly anything!:w00t:

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Mine are a bit older than two years...probably closer to three or four. And I believe they are Kenmore (Sears Brand). Personally I love them. I needed a smaller size for the space I have available. Some of my friends hate the front loaders, but I'm happy with mine.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have the Whirlpool Duet for 4 years and NEVER had any problems. Love it ! I also have an LG stainless steel fridge and love that too !
I'm hearing good things about the Samsung brand.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Do not get a LG. They charge $130 just to walk in your door and everythings else is extra. The nearest LG repairman is 70 miles from where I live. My dishwasher is LG and my front loading washer is Samsung. It did have an odor to it until I bought granular HE detergent(Gain). It is more than two years old and the cycles seem pretty long. The shortest one is 42 minutes. Linda

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I bought my Maytag (owned by Whirlpool) front loader in April 2009. I love it, use less water, less detergent, the clothes come out very clean and I can pack it full. Wiping the rim and leaving the door open are no big deal for me. I purchase all my appliances from a local family-owned appliance store. Their costs may be slightly higher than Lowes or Home Depot but there is no delivery charge and for repeat customers they waive the removal charge for the old appliance. And their service can't be beat!!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have had ASKO washer and dryer (front load) for over 10 years when living in Houston. When we moved I didn't want to take them with me in view of their age (they were still working properly). So I bought new ASKO ones here. They are almost 2 years old now. Believe it or not I never wipe the rim or glass BUT I leave the door open slightly.
NOW, I don't know if you would like that kind of washer because it works like the European machines. ASKO is Made in Sweden. The clothes are not washed with hot water from your hot water heater. The machine warms the water. This is a lot better than the American machines. If you pour hot water on dirty clothes it fixes the dirt in your clothes. You need to start with cold water. The machine will warm up the water from 30° C (86° F) to 95° C (203° F) with in between temperatures of 40° C (104° F) and 60° C (140° F). Of course it will wash cold too. That means that a laundry of whites washed at 203° F will take about 2 hours. People here don't want their laundry to take that long. So they prefer the American system and to get their laundry white they add bleach. You don't need bleach with the European machines. Another draw back might be that those machines are smaller than their American counterparts. But still, I can put 4 twin sheets with 3 pillow cases in it. ASKO has a few different models and if I remember well from 2 years ago when I was looking for them they also make a model now that works like the American machines. I was not interested in that system so I did not really look into it.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have the LG Tromm Washer with Steam Wash, model LWM2688HWM-WW and the dryer to match. I love them both, I have never had a problem. I do leave the door open and the detergent drawer open until they dry out and there has never been an odor. They were two years old this past Jan. I got them on Jan 1, 2008. When I got them I also purchased the extended warranty which I think goes to 2013.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you all so much for your recommendations already!

I do not want an Electrolux because they are overpriced for what they are (my opinion) and they are not rated as high as Samsung, LG, Whirlpool Duet, and Kenmore Elite. I've read a lot of recent reviews about problems with the doors on them not operating properly, perhaps because of the special touch-type operation they have?

LGs have the least amount of repairs according to Consumer Reports, Samsung is not listed likely either because they have so few repairs, or they are too new in the washing machine area.

A couple of Kenmore models are rated highly, and those models are manufactured by LG. I am still considering a Kenmore Elite, but I'm not sure how I feel about buying a "Kenmore" brand and having one item be made by LG, another by GE, etc. The only way to tell who made it is by the model number.

Good to know about Sears' service...I thought they would be rated very highly for that so that is definitely something to think about. The good news is that almost everywhere price matches nowadays, so I should be able to purchase my washer/dryer wherever has the best service policy, etc! :)

I am still thinking Samsung may be the way to go...that, or LG. We have service people in town for both, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Is it worth paying about $350 extra for a 5yr washer warranty from the store??

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I have Maytags that are about 4 years old. The only thing I hate is about the washer. If I forget to put something in the washer and the water is already running into it, I can't just open the door and add the article of clothing like in a top loader. For that reason alone, I would probably not get another front loading machine.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Maytags that are about 4 years old. The only thing I hate is about the washer. If I forget to put something in the washer and the water is already running into it, I can't just open the door and add the article of clothing like in a top loader. For that reason alone, I would probably not get another front loading machine.
Yep, that would be one bad thing about all front loaders in general! Just something I'd have to deal with in order to save on water & energy costs I guess. Luckily I don't ever forget to add something to the wash, but I can see it as a frustration IF I did. lol

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You can add on front loaders too, at least on mine you can. But you have to push the stop button and then open button. The machine will empty the necessary water so you can open the door without water overflowing. But after adding what you forgot, you have a tendency to put some more detergent in it even if it might not be necessary.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Here I am starting to like the feature that you can program the machine to start at a certain hour. The cold water here in Arizona is so hot that it makes it difficult to wash colors during the day time. So I program the machine to start at 4 am.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I have the Electrolux, and I sooooo love them!! Not sure why you don't want them.

Personally, I would not get the LG's. I have friends on FB that post over and over about the horrible repair history and problems with anything LG.

As you said, as long as you wipe down the washer door and rubber gasket around the door, you will have no problems at all.

HUGz! Jules
I have a friend who bought the LG pair within the past 2 years. The washer has broke down 2x, the repairman that was sent out on the second repair wrote down the WRONG part # so when another repairman showed up to fix the washer of course it wouldn't work the washer correctly. In the front loader, there isn't a soak cycle, so if you want to bleach/soak something it's not going to happen there. :( Yes it uses much less water, but the cycles take forever to complete - but there's a quick wash that's about 40 minutes, but one wonders about the cleanliness of the clothes with so little water. And of course you have to use the HE designated detergent.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I have had the Maytag now for just over 3 years and I love it. When we did the kitchen and laundry we bought all Maytag appliances and got a really good deal from our local store. I don't find wiping out the seal and glass an issue but I usually do it once I am finished washing all my loads not after each one, and leaving the door open does stop any smell.
Good luck with what ever one you choose, I love the front loaders simply because of the lower water usage and they do wash the clothes so nicely.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep, that would be one bad thing about all front loaders in general! Just something I'd have to deal with in order to save on water & energy costs I guess. Luckily I don't ever forget to add something to the wash, but I can see it as a frustration IF I did. lol
Most front loaders DO have a pause button to add extra clothes during a cycle. My Whirlpool Duet does and I use that feature all the time .

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most front loaders DO have a pause button to add extra clothes during a cycle. My Whirlpool Duet does and I use that feature all the time .
Yes, they do have the pause button...but I would assume the water has to drain first before it will unlock??

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, they do have the pause button...but I would assume the water has to drain first before it will unlock??
No the water does not drain at all. You have to remember the HE machines use much less water then a traditional washer.....the water is absorbed into the clothes. So when I pause the machine to add extra pants or whatever it just stops---I add the pants and press start and it just continues where it left off. I think the majority of all HE machines have this feature especially the newer brands like Samsung.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts