Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen this before.

I walked him at 9am. He's usually great for 6 hours afterward - even as small as he is.

I went out just after taking him out, came home (less than 3 hours later) and he walked over to his water bowl, lifted his leg and peed in it!

He had a pee pad 5 ft. from his food but apparently forgot what it was for.

He has been acting just fine - both before and after. No odd behavior in any way.

Any ideas why he would do this? I'm stunned...

(and he has fantastic aim - not a drop on the floor!)

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
:HistericalSmiley:When my grand-dog was living and came to visit us he would pee in our dog's dish after our dog had finished eating. :innocent: It was to show dominance in his case. I think your puppy might have been showing disapproval of your having left for a while---but that is just a rough guess.
It certainly has a meaning!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
OMG! I think that is soooo funny! Don't have any insight other then he wasn't pleased. I don't know how old your baby is, but allowing him to go out every 2 hours is usually the pee cycle pattern. :unsure:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pepper is almost 2 years old. He is used to going out every 5 hours or so, which is why this peeing is not only odd, but really off-pattern. He's easily goes 8 hours without peeing (overnight).

As a matter of fact, when I get up in the morning at 7:30am to work (I work from home), he won't even leave the bedroom until he's good and ready - usually 8:30am. Then he comes into my office and I walk him.

He's always been pretty much perfectly behaved, and its not as though I've never left him alone in the house! And when I do leave, he has tons of toys, the tv is on, he has a piece of recently worn clothing to snuggle in, his regular food, treats and water.

His normal behavior when I get home is that after he calms down, he sits on my lap and I love on him for a while. Then we do regular in-house stuff (laundry, playing, cleaning).

The only thing I can think of is that when I came home, I wanted to set up a new printer I bought (which was why I ran out), and he didn't like that I wasn't totally focused on him. But when I'm working, I'm not focused on him then either.

That said, he was sitting on my lap the whole time I was setting the printer up.

I wish he was the kind of fluff that signals - but he really doesn't. I just keep him to his schedule and he always does just fine!

On the plus side, before I emptied his bowl I got a bunch of clean pee pads, and dipped them into the water to get his scent on them. That way, if he feels the need to go again, he (hopefully) will find the pee pad.

I loved that he was so considerate and neat! All men need to take a clue from my little guy!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
:w00t::LOL::LOL: May I borrow him to give a demo to my DH LOL (he'd kill me if he knew I was casting aspercions on his aiming skills) :HistericalSmiley:

Pepper is almost 2 years old. He is used to going out every 5 hours or so, which is why this peeing is not only odd, but really off-pattern. He's easily goes 8 hours without peeing (overnight).

As a matter of fact, when I get up in the morning at 7:30am to work (I work from home), he won't even leave the bedroom until he's good and ready - usually 8:30am. Then he comes into my office and I walk him.

He's always been pretty much perfectly behaved, and its not as though I've never left him alone in the house! And when I do leave, he has tons of toys, the tv is on, he has a piece of recently worn clothing to snuggle in, his regular food, treats and water.

His normal behavior when I get home is that after he calms down, he sits on my lap and I love on him for a while. Then we do regular in-house stuff (laundry, playing, cleaning).

The only thing I can think of is that when I came home, I wanted to set up a new printer I bought (which was why I ran out), and he didn't like that I wasn't totally focused on him. But when I'm working, I'm not focused on him then either.

That said, he was sitting on my lap the whole time I was setting the printer up.

I wish he was the kind of fluff that signals - but he really doesn't. I just keep him to his schedule and he always does just fine!

On the plus side, before I emptied his bowl I got a bunch of clean pee pads, and dipped them into the water to get his scent on them. That way, if he feels the need to go again, he (hopefully) will find the pee pad.

I loved that he was so considerate and neat! All men need to take a clue from my little guy!

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Oh so funny!! It's a boy dog thing. Frankie has done this a couple of times. I have all three dogs bowls in a row in the kitchen. Frank has walked over to his bowl and "baptized" it to show the girls that is his MAN bowl!! Such a hoot!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'd say he's marking his territory and keeping it off the floor. What a sport. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I've never seen this before.

I walked him at 9am. He's usually great for 6 hours afterward - even as small as he is.

I went out just after taking him out, came home (less than 3 hours later) and he walked over to his water bowl, lifted his leg and peed in it!

He had a pee pad 5 ft. from his food but apparently forgot what it was for.

He has been acting just fine - both before and after. No odd behavior in any way.

Any ideas why he would do this? I'm stunned...

(and he has fantastic aim - not a drop on the floor!)
sorry but it is too :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
If you are lucky!!!!

I had to laugh. I apologize. He is probably upset you left him!

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
This is typical Maltese behavior. :innocent: I like to use taller water bowls because this is something they seem to like to do. :w00t: Especially the boys. You might try wrapping a clorox bottle with a pee pad and put it in the center of another pee pad. It does work for mine. I actually have a long plastic pan filled with kitty litter, non clump style, with a washable pee pad on an exercise pen hanging into the pan so they have to pee in the pan. I have been training my girls to use the same type of plastic pan with kitty litter for them to potty in. Long process but the pups get it much faster than the older girls are.

Experience the MAGIC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tina - do you use the wrapped bottle to create a faux fire plug for him to pee on? Genius!

Just to clarify... The day before this happened, I asked a friend to bring her Westie girl over for 5 minutes yesterday to see how Pepper would react to having a another dog in the house.

The Holidays are coming and my brother is planning to bring his dog. The dogs do fine together at my brothers house but Pepper has never had to "play host" to a dog in my house.

So I met my neighbor outside with Pepper and all 4 of us walked into the house. Other than a little bit of "hey-thats my toy" growling (which he promptly stopped), there was no problem.

And the Westie did not go near his water dish at all. She just wandered around sniffing things. She's a sweet little old bear of a dog that he adores - outside at least.

Could the incidents still be related?

I had just re-filled his water bowl just before he peed in it. There was some fluff from one of his toys floating in it, so I dumped the water, washed the bowl, refilled it and put it down next to his food dish.

And then the waterworks started...lol

You all crack me up.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Nip marking in the butt IMMEDIATELY! Interrupt him at the sniff (before the lift) and redirect the dog. It you have to go back to crating for a while when you aren't around, do it. This is a behavioral problem. The more the dog does it, the stronger the behavior becomes.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Nip marking in the butt IMMEDIATELY! Interrupt him at the sniff (before the lift) and redirect the dog. It you have to go back to crating for a while when you aren't around, do it. This is a behavioral problem. The more the dog does it, the stronger the behavior becomes.
Jackie don't be too serious. You have to laugh once in while about what they are doing. If I am not mistaken he did that while she was watching. Of course you have to nip marking in the butt but if it is a one time incident you don't go back to crating. Second time you yell loud enough to scare him not to do it a third time.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
It probably is related to the other dogs in the house. The Westie probably didn't get near it, but he wants to make sure she knew it was his. He wanted to gets things marked before more guests arrive.

I started using a party air horn to "remind" my dogs when they are doing something that they were told "no". It jump starts their system. I have two girls when they are out they will empty my grooming carts bottom two shelves. Q tips all over is not a fun thing to pick up. They get the horn when I can catch them in the act.

Experience The MAGIC

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Jackie don't be too serious. You have to laugh once in while about what they are doing. If I am not mistaken he did that while she was watching. Of course you have to nip marking in the butt but if it is a one time incident you don't go back to crating. Second time you yell loud enough to scare him not to do it a third time.
House training transgressions are one of the top reasons I see little dogs (that and biting). So yes, I take it seriously. I'd rather an owner be proactive than end up in my office...and I'd bet most owners would rather not have a problem than be paying me. I said IF you need to go back to crating.

I thoroughly enjoy my dogs. They make me laugh every day...but not by peeing in water bowls.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My husband's lab (rip) had a bucket just for this. He would use it (with good aim) daily. It was necessary to board him for several weeks while we were moving. Our vet told us he was using a bucket there, so we asked that he have a separate bucket put in his pen at the vet's kennel. He knew the difference. When he came home, he got two buckets. :aktion033::aktion033::aktion033:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts