Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal sunny will come when i call him and sit if i tell him (one day we will learn another trick lol) but he will not listen to anyone else. This is really getting to be a proublem becuase my mom cant take him outside without having to get me to call him in after. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
how are you training him? with treats? if so....have your mom use the exact same method and see if that works.

did you, at first, use a leash? your mom might have to go through that WHOLE training regimine to get sunny to learn, you know? your mom might have to start from step one to get sunny to listen to her.

and also check out the trick section---there's an easy way to teach 'rollover'. you'll get it within 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont use treats all the time but we use the same ones if we do. I never really used a leash much becuase me live on over an acer fenced inand he just dosnt like getting that far from the house anyways, i have been meaning to build him a dog run though becuase our neighbor is part of a mastiff rescue thing and her dogs and clear the fence easy and little sunny boy thinks he is the same size as him....I will have to try the rollover thing its time he learned something new.

A realy worry about this only listening to me thing also is i am always really worried about him getting dominant because thats what happened with my last dog so i have really got it in his head i am in charge i can do just about anything with him and he will be ok maybe grumple a little but not a real growl, but like at the vet he growls about everything they do to him and i would hate to find out all my hard work at making him understand he isnt in charge is not gonna stop him from behaving like that. I guess it understand when someone comes over to visit i mean its his house so that could confuse him but still is there a way to train them so that they will listen to more than just one person?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i have no clue. you could try putting sunny on a leash and have your mom work with her. make her heel and come and all that stuff. i honestly dont know what else you could do. your mom could try having a different treat. something REALLY yummy that you never offered and never will offer. if your other dog was dominant to your mom...you gotta tell your mom to act more assertive. if sunny wants to jump on her lap or sit near her...have your mom make sunny sit first. or when playing catch... have your mom get the toy and make sunny sit before she throws.
your mom has to take more control of things. my mom does whatever she wants to my dogs. lol. she'll take a toy and start throwing it around and play with them whenever SHE wants to. if the the dogs want to play, and she doesnt---she doesnt even look at them (which usually happens when shes on the phone. lol). and if they want to play and my mom isnt busy...she makes them sit first. they have to earn what they want to do.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Jan 9 2005, 12:45 PM
You know what worked really wel with us in training Caesar is using honey nut cheerios for his reward.  Maybe if your mom tells him to do something and he does it if she would get a cheerio each time, maybe that would work?  Good luck!  Sunny is such a cutie! :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28587
[/QUOTE]

We are using those bil jac liver treats cut up into like 20 pieces each he seems to really like those it took a while to find a cookie he cared enough about to do a trick for lol i doubt these things are very good for him but its not like i give him a lot very often

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You are right to worry about the dominance thing. Chances are he sees your mom as lower in the pack than he is. Relationship building exercises can help a lot. Have Mom feed him one or both of his meals. If possible, have her feed him the kibble piece by piece and ask him to do something for each one. Both of you should make him do something before he gets any attention. Play the recall game with him (each of you sits on one side of a room with treats and call him back and forth, a treat after he comes to each person). Find a special treat that he loves (cheese, chicken) and save it for Mom to use with him for short training session (it can be just simple things like sit and down). Get into an obedience class with him that uses positive methods (clicker training, no choke chains).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JMM@Jan 9 2005, 01:36 PM
You are right to worry about the dominance thing. Chances are he sees your mom as lower in the pack than he is. Relationship building exercises can help a lot. Have Mom feed him one or both of his meals. If possible, have her feed him the kibble piece by piece and ask him to do something for each one. Both of you should make him do something before he gets any attention. Play the recall game with him (each of you sits on one side of a room with treats and call him back and forth, a treat after he comes to each person). Find a special treat that he loves (cheese, chicken) and save it for Mom to use with him for short training session (it can be just simple things like sit and down). Get into an obedience class with him that uses positive methods (clicker training, no choke chains).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28592
[/QUOTE]

I know your right but this is just so frustrating becuase sunny is so good with me, just today after doctorcathy suggested the roolover trick i taught him how to lay down and rollover but of course he will only do those tricks for me. I take him out around other people all the time so its not like he act weird around other people he just dosnt listen to them. Would like group obedince classes help? Like in a year and a half i am gonna leave for college and for the first year most school require you live in a dorm so i cant bring him (
) i am gonna take him as soon as i possibly can but while i am not around i need him listening to other people....gosh i might even go to a community college just so i dont have to leave him i am so weird lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts