Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with Gizmo. He won't eat out of any bowl or container anymore. I've tried all different kinds. I literally have to hand feed him. He's not sick, he is just stubborn but I'm afraid that if I don't hand feed him he won't eat at all. Any suggestions. I have tried different foods too.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi did this back in August. She is still doing it a little. I have to throw some pieces (about 10 pieces) on the floor and she will eat those and then eat the stuff in the bowl. If I don't do this it takes her forever to eat.

How old is Gizmo? If he is a little older I would just wait him out. He isn't going to starve himself. Try putting the bowl down for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes put the bowl up until the next meal. He will catch on pretty fast that he had better eat.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My surefire way to get Tuffy to clean his bowl is to mix in a spoonful of baby food.. works like a charm every time. I usually use the lamb & lamb gravy food but he's liked them all. Maybe try that and then slowly use less and less until you are back to the dry food. Good luck with him! :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Jan 12 2005, 03:34 PM
We have to do the same thing with Milo (my roommates maltese/Tini's brother)
We make a little trail from about a foot away up to his bowl. It's kind of funny to watch because every time he gets to his bowl it's like he has found the "treasure".
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29318
[/QUOTE]

I can so picture this!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I absolutely love your sleighride avatar
. Don't worry if Gizmo doesn't eat. Sometimes they go through phases where they dont eat much for a day or two. It use to freak me out too. But they do it to me ALL the time.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well glad he is eating something!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Don't worry, he will eat when he is hungry. They will not let themselve starve to death. Alex has days he does not eat. Puts himself on a diet, haha. Wish I could do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This is what we do with chester. He is a very very picky eater. He also would not eat untill my husband sattered the food on the floor. ( go figer) We got tired of putting his food out and him not eating. We got him a self feeder. If it was up to chester he would play all day and never eat. This way when he passes the kitchen he nibles some food.

Now that we have chelsey we have to feed him in his crate as they eat two differnt foods . Somtimes he does not eat much.. but it works. He would rather eat french fries... but we don't give him that.

We had tried serveral differnt food for him all waisted the only one he eats is royal cain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts