Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kodie was neutered the last week in Sept. and I looked at his Incision last night and it is kinda red in the area where there was a hair stitched in the incision. About 1 month ago... in the same spot it was red with a little bump... i called the doc and told them what was going on and they said to just watch it. It then went away... my question is... is it this piece of hair that was stitched in his incision that is causes all these problems? How long does it take for the hair to work itself out of the incision? I have been bathing the area with Camialle (i dont think that the correct spelling) tea... and putting a jumper on him so when i'm at work he doesnt lick the area. It does look better when i checked on him on my lunch break.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
they closed his incision w/ hair in it???? if so then that is def. what is causing the probs...ca u pull the hair out?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i couldnt really see it... i only saw the hair the first few weeks... when we brought Kodie home from surgery i saw the hair and it was a hair from his belly... so i cut the hair so i couldnt pull at his belly... but the other end of the hair was still in the incision. The doc asked that question too months ago... can you see the hair to pull it out.. if not its ok.. it will be ok. i dunno... the incision otherwise looks great. I'll have to take a pic!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes pictures speak a thousand words!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Are you sure it isn't a suture not below the skin? Mikey doesn't dissolve the subcutaneous sutures and they eventually work their way out. Sometimes, there will be a little irritated red spot around the suture as it is coming up. Picture would be great!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everytime i take a picture it comes out blurry!!!
Anyway... I kept bathing Kodies incision area morning and night and it clear up basically... but now he has two bumps.. they look like pimples. What could it be? Could this be life threatening? I started to bath kodie's incision again with calamine tea... so it looks little better.. the pimple looking things are still there but not as red.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jan 6 2005, 05:21 PM
Everytime i take a picture it comes out blurry!!! 
Anyway... I kept bathing Kodies incision area morning and night and it clear up basically... but now he has two bumps.. they look like pimples.  What could it be?  Could this be life threatening?  I started to bath kodie's incision again with calamine tea... so it looks little better.. the pimple looking things are still there but not as red.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28111
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, didn't you have him neutered, like ages ago? Catcher's incision is not really visible. He was neutered in October and after two weeks it was completely healed. I'd have the vet look at it if I were you....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Jan 6 2005, 05:39 PM
They may be suture knots that he simply is not desolving. You need to have the vet look at it. Yes, they can remain for months and months.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28116
[/QUOTE]

I think Brink has had some probs with the knots dissolving, but they are not irritated. I have trimmed them a little a few times and tried to get them all out, but they are hard to get to. I figure they will continue to work their way out eventually. Vet said it wasn't anything to worry about, so when I feel like I can get hold of a stitch...I try to get it out. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.
BUT...if they were red or something, I guess I would worry.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah,... Kodie was neutered the last week in Sept. I just called the hospital he had the surgery at and i'm waiting for a doc to call me.
If its sutures that have not desolved... what will they do? open the pimples? Will kodie be sudated?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got off the phone with the vet and they are acting like its no big deal. They said i can have a recheck appointment this sat for them to look at it.
I dont get it?... i thought this was something serious?!?
Ohhhh... and they doc i talked to said that these pimples are probably not related to the neutering.. how is that possible?? This has been happening from the incision ever since his surgery?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Without looking at it they cannot tell if what you are describing as pimples is a skin infection, suture knots, or something else. In general, if something has remained for months unchanged, it is probably not something to lose sleep over. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea to have it checked out. If they are suture knots, they can just leave them alone and eventually they will work their way out or they may be able, if there is any suture material sticking out, to pull the knots out. They wouldn't sedate him to remove 2 suture knots that are not causing any infection.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Maybe Ladymontava could help you more on your camera, but do you see a Flower option on your camera? It's for close ups. Try to put your camera on the flower mode. I hope Kodie is ok.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah the flower is macro mode..thats what u should use! see bc&n u know what ur talkin about!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jan 6 2005, 08:17 PM
yeah the flower is macro mode..thats what u should use!  see bc&n u know what ur talkin about!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28164
[/QUOTE]
I really need to get the technical names down so I can sound as smart as you! LOL

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yeah that looks like a reaction from the stitches. good job w/ the pic!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You cant really see the pimples in that pic... I have noticed little dark dots sticking up from his skin. They are the size of a pin. I touched them and they are hard... i think maybe thats the sutures?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts