Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions about my beautiful Matrix. He flew in yesterday from NYC to be with us and we want to make sure we're doing right by him.

We took him to Banfield (only vet I knew to be open on Sunday) and got him is Heartworm preventative meds and some tapeworm meds (my cousin..who gave him to us...noticed white stuff in his poop). He ate the heartworm pill without any problem but we had to hide his tapeworm pill this morning in his food for him to eat it.

I have a couple of questions regarding info our vet told us and stuff we have heard from others....

1) Does tapeworm and heartworm meds give them diarrhea?

2) The vet told us that he need to get his teeth cleaned (previous owners didn't do a great job...not my cousin she was the middle man..lol) and we want to get him good treats that will assist in keep his teeth and breath clean...any suggestions?

3) We purchased Cesar's food for him but heard that it's not the greatest. I heard he likes Mighty Dog but that's like McDonalds...what should we feed him?

4) He was outdooor trained with his previous owner and when he stayed with my cousin (1 week) he would go on the pee pee pad with her dog...now that he's in our house...he's going on the carpet instead of the pee pee pad...how can we get him to use the pad? (I may have to put this in the training area..)

5) He slept with us last night but is that bad to begin practicing?

Any answers will be of great help. I was afraid to ask the vet b/c they seem to push PetSmart products and it's not that I don't think the products are good but I would prefer an impartial response not a plug for merchandise.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have a couple of questions regarding info our vet told us and stuff we have heard from others....

1) Does tapeworm and heartworm meds give them diarrhea?
Don't know. Could be just from the change and stress due to the move. If he has diarrhea for more than a day you should take him back to the vet.

2) The vet told us that he need to get his teeth cleaned (previous owners didn't do a great job...not my cousin she was the middle man..lol) and we want to get him good treats that will assist in keep his teeth and breath clean...any suggestions?
Not sure about treats but I know of some other stuff. There is a product called Suzie's Tartar Control. You mix it with their water and it is supposed to help prevent tartar buildup. You can also get toys that help clean teeth.

3) We purchased Cesar's food for him but heard that it's not the greatest. I heard he likes Mighty Dog but that's like McDonalds...what should we feed him?
I would recommend finding a local owned pet store that carries premium brands of dog food like Innova, Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul, Solid Gold, etc. These are just some of the better brands of dog food. Try to avoid buying any food that you could buy at Walmart/Target or a grocery store. Those types have lots of fillers and by products.

4) He was outdooor trained with his previous owner and when he stayed with my cousin (1 week) he would go on the pee pee pad with her dog...now that he's in our house...he's going on the carpet instead of the pee pee pad...how can we get him to use the pad? (I may have to put this in the training area..)
Matrix is probably still adjusting to his new environment. Give him a little while to adjust and I'm sure he will improve.

5) He slept with us last night but is that bad to begin practicing?
It is fine for him to sleep in bed with you. If he starts to show aggression problems you might need to stop but otherwise it is fine.

You need to find a vet you feel comfortable asking questions. If you don't feel comfortable asking your current vet questions ask around and see who other people with dogs take theirs too. There is nothing wrong with trying a vets until you find one you like. I tried 2 other vets before I found the one I'm currently taking the girls too. She is great! Very glad I kept trying until I found her.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had all these questions to ask yesterday and like my regular doc. i forgot when i got there...i'm going to have to start writing them down. They said that all in all he's very healthy and very well behaved. I guess you're right...he's still getting adjusted.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Maltese can be prone to bad teeth and gingivitis, unfortunately. It's important to keep his teeth clean because bacteria from them can pass to other organs, especially the heart. My Lady needs her teeth cleaned every year now that she is older.

After you get them cleaned, try to brush them yourself with a toothpaste made for dogs. (Human toothpaste can be toxic). Lady gets a CET chew twice a week per her vet's advice.

I think everyone selecting a food for their pet should first read this article from the Animal Protection Institute:

http://home.earthlink.net/~astrology/petfood.htm

As for the diarrhea, did the vet check a stool sample for other parasites besides tapeworms? That could be the cause of his diarrhea.

I answered your potty questions on your other thread.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I hope the vet did a blood test for heartworm before just giving him the preventive pills. You shouldn't give him the pill before knowing if he already has heartworm. The tapeworm pills can be very toxic and dangerous especially if the weight of the dog isn't taken into consideration. It can cause all sorts of problems including diarrhea. Changing foods and coming into a new home are diarrhea makers for sure.

How old is he and is he a rescue? Do you know what he was eating before? You should gradually introduce a new food. Is he underweight? There are lots of good premium natural dog foods, both dry and canned. You may have to get some samples from a good pet store and slowly introduce each one before finding one he likes. My Frosty who is almost 14 loves the Cesar foods. They aren't the best, but he has been almost impossible to feed all his life and I've tried so many good foods he won't eat---so I still give him a little of the Cesar just to "prime" him into eating and add a premium canned with it on top of his premium kibble. He also get a couple of different supplements.

Some of the brands I've tried or use are Precise, Nutro, Natural Balance, Innova, Merrick.....

Good luck with your new guy, and
:lol:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I had all these questions to ask yesterday and like my regular doc. i forgot when i got there...i'm going to have to start writing them down. They said that all in all he's very healthy and very well behaved. I guess you're right...he's still getting adjusted.[/B]
That is a good idea. It is actually something I start to do about a week before the vet appointment. Any time I think of something I want to ask I write in down. That way I can just go through my list of questions when we get to the vets.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope the vet did a blood test for heartworm before just giving him the preventive pills. You shouldn't give him the pill before knowing if he already has heartworm. The tapeworm pills can be very toxic and dangerous especially if the weight of the dog isn't taken into consideration. It can cause all sorts of problems including diarrhea. Changing foods and coming into a new home are diarrhea makers for sure.

How old is he and is he a rescue? Do you know what he was eating before? You should gradually introduce a new food. Is he underweight? There are lots of good premium natural dog foods, both dry and canned. You may have to get some samples from a good pet store and slowly introduce each one before finding one he likes. My Frosty who is almost 14 loves the Cesar foods. They aren't the best, but he has been almost impossible to feed all his life and I've tried so many good foods he won't eat---so I still give him a little of the Cesar just to "prime" him into eating and add a premium canned with it on top of his premium kibble. He also get a couple of different supplements.

Some of the brands I've tried or use are Precise, Nutro, Natural Balance, Innova, Merrick.....

Good luck with your new guy, and
:lol:[/B]
Yes the vet did a heartworm test before giving the pills as well as a fecal test but we determined it was tapeworms since nothing else turned up and he had white stuff in his stool. I'm sure they took his weight, etc. into consideration when they prescribed the meds.

He is 2 years old and he was from a friend of my cousin's in ny...i don't know where they originally got him from. They said he used to eat table scraps but i want to get him off of that. He's not underweight according to the vet...really everything is normal with him...except for the tapeworms.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes the vet did a heartworm test before giving the pills as well as a fecal test but we determined it was tapeworms since nothing else turned up and he had white stuff in his stool. I'm sure they took his weight, etc. into consideration when they prescribed the meds.

He is 2 years old and he was from a friend of my cousin's in ny...i don't know where they originally got him from. They said he used to eat table scraps but i want to get him off of that. He's not underweight according to the vet...really everything is normal with him...except for the tapeworms.[/B]
Tapeworms come from fleas. Here is a link to the CDC with more info for you on tapeworms:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/di..._dipylidium.htm

Here are some good threads that talk about food. K & C eat Newman's Own Organics. A couple reasons why I like it because most of the ingredients are organically grown and also the profits go to charitable causes. Plus it doesn't have a any junk in it. They totally love this food.

What Brand Of Food Do You Feed Your Maltese?

Foods We Use and Recommendations

·
Registered
802 Posts
Cesar's is terrible food. When I got Max, he was on that and Eukenuba...neither are very good. Read the Cesar's label. ALL by product.

When searching for a food, read the first 5 ingredients. They should be a protein. Stay away from by products, dyes, corn, and grain if you can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts