Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our hallway @ work is hosting a little dessert thing for the rest of the group this week, so I started making some Holiday Cookies this weekend....

well, I tink I may have made a mistake/may have to start over :blush: I tried to 'healthy' them up a bit by replacing 1/2 the flour with white whole wheat flour... and I used Coconut Palm sugar. The first batch was snickerdoodles...they didn't flatten out like they usually do - they pretty much stayed round balls with little cracks on top. The hub tried one and remarked "these taste like whole wheat biscuits" :blink: I tried one and kinda liked it, although it is more like a tea cookie (not so sweet). Dont' taste a bit like snickerdoodles though

The bad news is that I already mixed a batch of dough for molasses crinkles also using 1/2 white whole wheat flour and coconut palm sugar. :OMG!: I guess I'll go ahead and bake them but then have to start over and just use plain flour...

I guess healthy and holiday baking don't go together??! :p I may still try the coconut palm sugar in the next batch though (thumb print cookies) and just use regular flour...that stuff smells pretty great and is supposed to be like real sugar but with a low glycemic index...wanna see if I can taste a difference.

Anyone make healthy(ier) holiday goodies that has a yummy recipe to share?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just thought I'd also share the recipe for Hungarian Honey Cookies that was passed down from my beloved Nagymama... mixing up a batch right now :

Hungarian Honey Cookies (Mezeskalacs)

Put 4 cups sifted flour into a big bowl
Mix in:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
grated rind of 1-2 lemons

Make a crater in the center of the flour mixture.
Put 2 beaten eggs into this crater, but don't mix it into the flour

Warm 1 c. honey in the microwave in a 4-cup measuring cup.
Stir 1 tsp. baking soda into the honey (it becomes a creamy color).

Pour the honey mixture very slowly into the eggs and stir until the flour is all mixed in. (This is very stiff and I usually have to do this sitting down with the bowl held between my thighs or get my husband to help me stir it together).

Refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours or overnight.

Divide the dough into 2 or 3 parts. Roll out (not too thin) on a floured board. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. (You have to add more flour to the board as you are rolling out each part of the cookie dough. Remember to dip the cookie cutter into flour before each use.)

Put cookies onto a greased cookie sheet. Don't put them too close together as they spread a bit while cooking.

Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes

Makes about 3 dozen (more or less depending on the size of the cookie cutter.

If you have something special you like to bake during the holidays, would love to hear about your recipes too (healthy or not) :)

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Yum, they all sound good to me - and yes, the weight is coming back on - up to 105! That's eight pounds! In a few weeks time.

I love thumbprint cookies - they all sound great - I, too, have been baking all day - yeast breads mostly - since Lucy was pooped today - I got out of attending a party, wouldn't leave Lupa girl by herself (as Edith has the day off) - Richard and the Barr-boy went - most of my close friends, are fluff crazy, like me - so, to have a party and not include the fluffs - oh my, I think naught (smile)

Yum!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Healthy....cookies....not so much.:huh: Had a few allergen free recipes but don't think that's what you're looking for. Sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts