Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a hearing-impaired dog. My breeder just had a show puppy returned to her because he can't hear high-pitched sounds. He's a year old and completely housebroken, and I have seen him twice at my breeder's house last year. My breeder is looking for a special home for him so she offered him to me...I am considering taking him but am not sure what to expect...he may end up completely deaf. I do not know what I am opening myself up for if I take him....but I feel so crushed that this is happening to him. Does anyone have any experiences to share or advice for me? I could really use it right now. Here's a pic of him from last month, you can see why I'm so torn. Thanks for the help, this site is the best!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hes adorable!Ive never had any experence personaly with a hearing impaired dog.But I have read many stories and they all seem to do great with it.The ones I read about,you would never know they had a problem at all.Good luck! I think you would love him to death!!!

Forgot to add..you can also train them to hand commands.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Awww, he is adorable!
I have no experience with a deaf dog, but we do have a deaf cat. When he was younger we just thought he didnt listen very well!
Now he is going on 3 years old and we have definantley figured out he hears nothing.
It is very very sad because he has no idea what he is missing out on. He is a wonderful and loving cat, full of curiosity. It is kind of funny, since we can't call him by his name, Prince, the way we get him to come see us is when he looks over towards our direction, we wave our hand really big at him, then when he makes contact with our hand (u can tell cause his head moves in the direction of hte hand), then we wave smaller and he runs over and jumps on our lap. :D The only thing that is difficult is discipline, he likes to jump on our counter!
We can't yell at him, he has figured out not to do it until we are in bed or not home
. When I catch him on there, I put him back on and spary him with some water. Also what is kind of funny, I guess because he can't hear himself, when he meows, he meows SO loud. Him and Caesar play together and Prince will let out these terrible meows, you would think Caesar was killing him, but really Caese is just running circles around him then across the room to circle him again and then on with his little path there. All the while Prince is laying there with his tail wagging, no hair raised on his back, trying to bat at Caesar as he runs through. He also sounds like a motor boat when he is purring, and purrs more than any other cat I know, if I am in bed with Prince, and hubby walks in to got to bed, that alone will get him to start purring.
If I were you, I would not let a deafness keep you from getting the malt, even though they are deaf, they are still able to give tons of affection and deserve to be loved, which I think he would be able to get lots of in your home.
Best of luck in your decision, hoped this helped some.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
He's gorgeous!

If he just can't hear high pitched sounds then that probably wouldn't be a problem. I imagine that being completely deaf wouldn't be so difficult on you either, especially since dogs do so much with their sense of smell. You would probably just need to do a lot of training now using hand signals so he would be all set with those if and when he goes completely deaf.

Did she share with you the reason he was going deaf?

Gosh, I think you should go for it!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
What a gorgeous dog!!!!
I've never had any experience with a hearing impaired dog, but I'm sure there are plenty of ways you could make it work!!!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico's sister is deaf and she is as active and involved in her family as her hearing brother, Pistacio and her mother Kannoli. Of course, she is in the same household as Pistacio and Kannoli and there are 3 teenagers in the house as well so all three dogs get much attention.

Plus, Kannoli and Pistacio will "go get" Pizzelle at dinner time, etc. if she is asleep or in another room. None of the three are allowed outside, even in the fenced back yard, without leashes because of the poison frogs that come up from the pond to the yard, so that precludes the need to call Pizzelle back in.

I think she feels vibrations and follows the body language of people and her brother and mom because she dashes to the door to greet you, barks, and dances around and gets excited and just is very involved in life as a Maltese.

I think your partially deaf furbaby would do just fine with your family, even if his deafness becomes profound at a later date. It's really not such a handicap or challenge and he is such a beauty!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He sure is cute! I have a friend (she is on this board too but not active) and she has a deaf Maltese. He adapts very well and is like a normal happy maltese. You just have to be careful about not scaring him with sudden noises and movements. You should also train him with hand commands.

All of my kids are trained with voice and hand commands. This way, when they get old and loose their hearing, I can still communicate with them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have had a blind dog but not a deaf dog. It will proubly be easier to transition the dog to hand commands now while he can still here and then if he does go totally deaf later in life you will be prepared. Personally i would totally take the him

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well guys... I was all ready to drive to St. Louis and get him but I was talking to my breeder and we don't think that he and Pippin will be a good match. Their temperaments are very different and I don't want either one to be miserable. She said she had other options for a good home for him and based on what we discussed I should probably pass. I am very sad about this, I have not told her for sure what I will do and it tears me up inside to think that this is happening. I just hope he ends up in a good home where he will be loved and cherished.

So thank you to everyone who responded....I wish it had worked out differently but I guess this is for the best. Maybe this fall I will have happier news to share.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well he wouldnt have been very much fun if he and pippen were miserable all the time, i am sure he will be going to a great home the breeders seems very conserned about that, maybe something else will come up and a dog just perfect for you a pippen will become avaliable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts