Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so I really hate giving my two unnecessary vaccines, heart worm meds, etc... So I try to choose the lesser of the 'evils' when I have to give them something. Our area is just swarming with mosquitoes and is a high risk area for heart worms. So this morning I give both Zoe & Jett their monthly dose of Interceptor. For the first time ever, Zoe does not eat hers. She takes it greedily like always, but drops it on the floor. I don't have my contacts in yet and can't see nearly as well with my glasses, and before I even had a chance, my little food motivated boy gobbles hers up. I know that according to vets, it does not pose a health danger to give more then one pill, but I call the vet anyway just to make me feel better. But dang....I just HATE it that he got 2!!! I'll have to sneak Zoe's in food from now on so it doesn't happen again. They are both due for the Animal Essentials Detox/Allergy Blend this month so I guess that's good.

For those that have benefit of a holistic vet, what does your holistic vet say about heart worm prevention?

On a side note, I did see on our local news (on Saturday mornings there is a 'Pet Vet' segment) that there are some studies going on in the state of Mississippi this past week about the possibility of heart worms developing a resistance to HeartGuard. Nothing conclusive yet, but thought I'd pass along the info.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
My former holistic vet favored Interceptor. She told me that the actual dose schedule is really once every 45 days, but the manufacturer recommends a dosage of once every 30 days because they thought that people would remember to give it monthly better than every 6 weeks. (Or maybe they figured that we'd buy more, huh? :))

Anyway, I give Interceptor every 45 days, except in Dec/Jan/Feb, if it is a cold winter. Nikki's vet insists that she take it year-round because we live in the south, but I don't see the point, since she is mainly an inside dog.

I look at it as a necessary evil. I make sure when I give it to Nikki, I feed her natural liver detoxifiers, like watermelon and artichoke hearts on the same day.

I know that some Veterinary Naturopaths use Black Walnut, etc. instead, but I don't personally mess around with herbal wormers as they can be dangerous.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My former holistic vet favored Interceptor. She told me that the actual dose schedule is really once every 45 days, but the manufacturer recommends a dosage of once every 30 days because they thought that people would remember to give it monthly better than every 6 weeks. (Or maybe they figured that we'd buy more, huh? :))

Anyway, I give Interceptor every 45 days, except in Dec/Jan/Feb, if it is a cold winter. Nikki's vet insists that she take it year-round because we live in the south, but I don't see the point, since she is mainly an inside dog.

I look at it as a necessary evil. I make sure when I give it to Nikki, I feed her natural liver detoxifiers, like watermelon and artichoke hearts on the same day.

I know that some Veterinary Naturopaths use Black Walnut, etc. instead, but I don't personally mess around with herbal wormers as they can be dangerous.
Yep, very good point about being able to go 45 days. My vet did tell me that too. So mine don't get it on the 1st of the month like clock work, but somewhere in the 40-45 day margin. And that helps knowing what a holistic vet says, thanks Susan. I know that holisitic vets will do the herbal detox's after the legislated rabies vaccines are given, so I do that on a regular basis, usually quarterly, for my two, hoping that was what a holisitic vet would recommend for the heartworm meds. When they have to have a rabies vaccine, I start the detox blend 2 weeks prior to the vaccine and continue it for 2 weeks after.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Yep, very good point about being able to go 45 days. My vet did tell me that too. So mine don't get it on the 1st of the month like clock work, but somewhere in the 40-45 day margin. And that helps knowing what a holistic vet says, thanks Susan. I know that holisitic vets will do the herbal detox's after the legislated rabies vaccines are given, so I do that on a regular basis, usually quarterly, for my two, hoping that was what a holisitic vet would recommend for the heartworm meds. When they have to have a rabies vaccine, I start the detox blend 2 weeks prior to the vaccine and continue it for 2 weeks after.
Milk Thistle is a great liver detox as well. I use the tincture which is suspended in glycerine. (alcohol-free.)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Very interesting about the 45 days! I've never heard that. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
My vet gave us two Heartguards that I never gave Rocky. I just don't know if it's really needed here in AZ. So I don't know what I am going to do yet...ergh...I hate giving him medication. I had a mini schnauzer for 16 years and never gave it to her, but we did get a lot of rain this past winter...so it may be necessary, I dont know.:unsure:

Ok...so I really hate giving my two unnecessary vaccines, heart worm meds, etc... So I try to choose the lesser of the 'evils' when I have to give them something. Our area is just swarming with mosquitoes and is a high risk area for heart worms. So this morning I give both Zoe & Jett their monthly dose of Interceptor. For the first time ever, Zoe does not eat hers. She takes it greedily like always, but drops it on the floor. I don't have my contacts in yet and can't see nearly as well with my glasses, and before I even had a chance, my little food motivated boy gobbles hers up. I know that according to vets, it does not pose a health danger to give more then one pill, but I call the vet anyway just to make me feel better. But dang....I just HATE it that he got 2!!! I'll have to sneak Zoe's in food from now on so it doesn't happen again. They are both due for the Animal Essentials Detox/Allergy Blend this month so I guess that's good.

For those that have benefit of a holistic vet, what does your holistic vet say about heart worm prevention?

On a side note, I did see on our local news (on Saturday mornings there is a 'Pet Vet' segment) that there are some studies going on in the state of Mississippi this past week about the possibility of heart worms developing a resistance to HeartGuard. Nothing conclusive yet, but thought I'd pass along the info.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
I use Interceptor and give it every 6 weeks.
I hate giving anything I don't have too but like your area, we have a lot of mosquitoes so I feel like they need it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My vet has never mentioned anything about de-worming. The last time she was de-wormed was when she was 6 weeks old now she is 1 and a half.
I give Sentinel starting in June til October. Then nothing between that time. I think Sentinel has interceptot in it.
My malt is due for her DA2PP and rabies vaccine this month and the vet wants to do it on the same day but I disagree with that.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My vet has never mentioned anything about de-worming. The last time she was de-wormed was when she was 6 weeks old now she is 1 and a half.
I give Sentinel starting in June til October. Then nothing between that time. I think Sentinel has interceptot in it.
My malt is due for her DA2PP and rabies vaccine this month and the vet wants to do it on the same day but I disagree with that.
Oh I think maybe you're just a tiny bit confused. We're talking about preventing heart worms which is different then de-worming. Fortunately, most heat worm prevention meds also help to control hookworms, roundworms, and whipworm which is what is usually what you think of when de-worming.

If your dog becomes infected with heart worms, it's much more of an invasive procedure to treat. First there must be several costly tests run to see if there has been enough damage done to the heart that the dog can even handle the treatment. The treatment is arsenic based so there is a fine line being walked between killing the heart worms and keeping the dog alive. Treatment for heart worms is also very painful for the dog.

And you are the customer and have every right to specify that you want the boosters separated. I recommend separating by 3 weeks as do many holistic vets, vets who specialize in toy breeds, and reputable show breeders of toy dogs. I had to go through several vets until I found one who thankfully knew toy breeds. Depending on your location, you may not have one. But you do need a vet who is willing to treat your dog the way you want, providing what you are requesting is not a health risk to your dog.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

Since you and you alone speak for your dog, then you will have to tell your vet what you want, not the other way around.

Vaccination Risk for Small Dogs | Truth4Dogs

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Since you and you alone speak for your dog, then you will have to tell your vet what you want, not the other way around.

Vaccination Risk for Small Dogs | Truth4Dogs
Vanilla just had a heartworm test a week ago and it was negative.

I HAVE told my vet that I do not want the DA2PP vaccine and the rabies vaccine at the same time and he looks at me as if I am crazy. I always feel very intimidated. He says it is safe to do together. Vanilla is 10.2 pounds and he says she is not tiny.
Anyhow, he says if I REALLY want to seperate them it has to be one week apart or else he'll have to charge me an extra 50 dollars to do a pre-exam.:blink:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I HAVE told my vet that I do not want the DA2PP vaccine and the rabies vaccine at the same time and he looks at me as if I am crazy. I always feel very intimidated. He says it is safe to do together. Vanilla is 10.2 pounds and he says she is not tiny.
Anyhow, he says if I REALLY want to seperate them it has to be one week apart or else he'll have to charge me an extra 50 dollars to do a pre-exam.:blink:
Ok I'm not usually so blunt but I think it's time to find a new vet. That's outrageous. My vet willingly separates by 3 weeks with no extra pre-exam fee since there is no need for another exam in only 3 weeks.

Sounds like your vet has the dreaded 'god' syndrome so many dr's tend to get. I quickly move on from those types of drs.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Sounds like you need a new vet to me... my vet doesn't charge an office visit for shots and will separate them however I like. If your vet intimidates you, that sux... you need one that makes you and your doggy comfortable. Ask around at the dog park for recommendations ;)

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I would cease to do business with this particular vet if it were me.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
One other thing is that there is a new rabies vaccine out now that is making some dogs get allergic reactions (a darn good reason to separate them). If you are nervous at all, my vet recommended giving a bit of children's benadryl to prevent/offset these symptoms... wherever you go, ask if they are giving the old or new rabies vacc so you will know to be on the look out (one of mine threw up about 5 times afterward)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I live in Texas, and mosquitos and heartworms are very common here. So I definitely give heartworm preventative year around and test yearly. I've always given Heartgard but Sentinel & Interceptor are really good too. I just personally wouldn't give Revolution as from what I've read, it's not quite as effective. I too like to do minimal vaccines & such, but Heartworms are too common here and too serious so I definitely give the preventative. I only do flea preventative from like March or April to October though..so far haven't had a problem during the cooler months.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sorry to the original poster if this thread is going a little off topic but thank you ladies for all your honest opinions. Some times I think I'm really getting ripped off its ridiculous.

Example: exam 3 months ago Vanilla not eating well====vet charges $50 (FINE OK)
1 month ago===bladder symptoms vet charges $50 (exam) urine test $60
1 week ago===bladder follow-up===vet charges $130 blood work, re-check exam $35, heartworm test $35, urine test $60, $40 for 2 shots of fever reducer and antibiotic (that's all in one day)
Either I am paying too much or I should look into Pet Insurance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi everyone. i have 3adult maltese dogs that live inside. they only go outside to go potty on the paved side walk, they have a wizdog there. we do not have mosquitoes inour area. we live in. western washington. do i really need to give them heart medicine? I deworm them just because 2times a year. Please, let me know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts