Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone here has thoughts on heartworm meds and liver health compromised pups.

My dog Uyu had some bad liver injury back in June and he’s slowly healing. I stopped all other medicine like heartworm and flea just in case for the last 2-3 months, ever since he got sick. It also made me paranoid because he actually got sick the day after I had given him the usual monthly Interceptor.

Since he is feeling a little better, I am thinking it would be good to get him back on preventative heartworm and flea meds. But I am still nervous about which meds to choose. The vet mentioned the new Simparica Trio but I just saw the article about possible neurological side effects!

I’m talking to his vet again on Monday but just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or experience!

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,201 Posts
Lucky was on Interceptor, but I agree your vet would be the best to ask, there may be newer safer medications. honestly this summer has been so dry, there are literally no mosquitoes. I have never seen anything like it.

·
Premium Member
LACIE, SUKI & LING LING ❤️❤️❤️
6,044 Posts
Lucky was on Interceptor, but I agree your vet would be the best to ask, there may be newer safer medications. honestly this summer has been so dry, there are literally no mosquitoes. I have never seen anything like it.
Walter…I was just talking about the mosquitoes, the lack of them this year 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Isn’t it wonderful!

To the OP, like the others say”talk to your vet” or someone who understands small breeds.
I have one who got head bobbing tremors with comfortis , I believe that’s for fleas and the same tremors but full body with Ivermectin for heartworms, so I made the choice not to give it. Im not sure where your located but I know for me, there is only a few months out of a year where they could get heartworm anyway.
This is an excellent article regarding medicine from Dr. Dodds. Please take the time to read it, especially where your dog is compromised.
https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com%2Fpost%2F46289883129

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,164 Posts
I use Sentinel on L & K as per Dr. Dodd's recommendation some years ago---since L had vasculitis. Texas has a heartworm issue. I dispense every 45 days for a good part of the year---depending on weather conditions. We do sometimes have mosquitoes in the house. I would much prefer to not use anything but that would not be wise.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had Cody when he was much younger and Cody got a reaction. To both flea and heartworm medicine and he has liver disease as well. My vet told me he didn’t need the meds since he was a indoor door strictly. I don’t walk him outside either he uses wee wee pads. My vet also said it depends on where you live. Some places really need it and some don’t. I choose not to give Cody the flea or heartworm medicine and he has done fine without it all his life. It’s really like kinda putting pesticides in your dog( that’s what the vet tech said and why dogs get reactions) Please check with your vet esp if your baby has liver issues that’s a touchy confusing choice unless they tell you otherwise. So glad your inquiring so lucky to have you as a great mom!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had Cody when he was much younger and Cody got a reaction. To both flea and heartworm medicine and he has liver disease as well. My vet told me he didn’t need the meds since he was a indoor door strictly. I don’t walk him outside either he uses wee wee pads. My vet also said it depends on where you live. Some places really need it and some don’t. I choose not to give Cody the flea or heartworm medicine and he has done fine without it all his life. It’s really like kinda putting pesticides in your dog( that’s what the vet tech said and why dogs get reactions) Please check with your vet esp if your baby has liver issues that’s a touchy confusing choice unless they tell you otherwise. So glad your inquiring so lucky to have you as a great mom!
I agree with you. Lena did not like to walk outside, she always wanted to be in her bag or in my arms (she was a small dog). She always used wee wee pads even when we traveled . And because she had a reaction to flea medicine when she was little, I decided not to use any flea medicine her entire life. She never had a flea. I don't know if it is related but she had very silky hair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts