Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K this is kinda a two part question I guess. I give Nelson his heartworm every 45 days, as per some of the discussions on here about it. I know the packaging says every month, and thats what the vets say too. But you know how apparently the manufactuer thinks its easier for people to remember every month, but it actually lasts longer...so someone of you mentioned you give it every 45 days instead. So that is what I had been doing since the spring.

Well this week I forgot to give it to him on Tues. That was the 45th day from when he had it last. And well it's Sat. now. I kept fogetting, either remember when we were out, or after he went to bed that kinda thing.

So I dunno if I should still give it to him now, or will it not matter is he going to need a blood test then, since it's like 4 days late??

And also, my other thing was. We never even gave Andy heartworm 12 months a year. Do I really have to with Nelson? I know the vet recommends it, but they just recommend it so they don't need a blood test every year for it. But then what happens when stupid me forgets for 4 days... We used to give Andy it from the spring-fall. We never did it over the winter. Is it really necessary? Should I just skip it all together, wait till spring and get the blood test and start it up again. Or keep medicating him all year long, even though this month its 4 days late?

I was just wondering what you guys all did. Part of the year, the whole year, that kinda thing...thanks!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What brand do you use? If it is Interceptor, you should be fine:

The original FDA approval for Interceptor states, “Complete (100%) protection was achieved in dogs treated at 30 days post infection, with 95% protection at 60 and 90 days.

DogAware.com Articles: Heartworm Prevention in Dogs

If the 45 days dosing is hard for you to remember, though, I'd go back to every 30 days. Some people do better with giving it on the same day each month. I use the little stickers for my calendar so I don't have a problem remembering the 45 day schedule.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Year round or not depends on the incidence of heartworm and mosquitoes in your area. I live in Northern VA and we do it year round here.

I always plan to give it every 35 days so I can be late (yeah, I'm always late LOL). Give it now.

Giving it year round does not mean you should not test. You still need to test annually and have a tick screen as well (most heartworm tests combine with a tick screen these days). If you live in a place where you can skip winter, you always test before restarting. If you do not test and your dog gets heartworm, the company will not pay a dime for treatment. It is a very small price to pay for that guarantee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts