Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who all does monthly heartworm treatments and who doesn't?

We always did with Andy during the summer months, and got the blood test every year when we started them up in the spring, and would give it till fall. But then his one vet said technically they should have them year round? I had always thought you only needed it once mosquitos are out and about, but now I don't know.

But we haven't started Nelson's yet. And I forget what brand we used to give Andy. So also what kind do you all use? And do you do it year round or not? I live in Pennsylvania, if that makes a difference?

But now that we are really started the housebreaking, I worry about taking him out in the dusk and evening about mosquitos...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you need it at all and for how long depends on your locality.
I use Interceptor. It has a smaller dosing range than Heartgard and its generics. It is also a better choice for many Maltese with compromised livers or epilepsy (both common in the breed). Interceptor is not in the system for a month. It works backward killing anything infecting the dog. It is in your dog's system a max of 3 days. Your dog could eat an entire package of Interceptor with no toxic effects.
Recommendations for need for prevention change based upon cases reported annually.
American Heartworm Society
Cases have been increasing in a northward direction. Many people have hypothesized that the bringing in of HW+ dogs after Katrina is effecting this increase in cases.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thats what Andy used Inerceptor. But I think our new vet where we take Nelson they prescribe Heartgard.

So what do you mean Interceptor only says in teh system 3 days?? So they aren't protected from heartworm the rest of the month? How it different from Heartgard then?

Now I'm really confused...

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I used Heart Guard,I keep them on it all year.This area of Ohio we have mosquitos late in November and early in Feb sometimes w/ the mild winters we have. Depends on how cold it is,I have seen mosquitos in our house in December so I tend to keep them on all year. I have friends in PA but they live in Clarion,which is 1000 feet higer in elevation so they have colder,slightly longer winters so they keep their dogs on 6 months of th eyear. Really depends on your climate and your area for mozzies,skeeters,etc...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
We live in Arizona and I didn't think I needed to because I never gave it to my Mini Schnauzer for the 16 years we had her...but with all the rain we had this year, maybe I should start giving it to him.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I use Sentinel year round. Sentinel is for heartworm, certain kinds of intestinal worms, and also, when a flea bites your dog, its eggs are not viable.

I have half a dozen mosquito bites on myself right now after just a few warm days, so I'm sure my dogs need the heartworm prevention!

(We have roaming cats in the yard and squirrels and occasionally other mammals, so I like to have the flea protection, too.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Since having Ramsey I've used Heartguard, and now this month Advantage Multi. However, I will try Interceptor based on the reviews from here. I live in FL so I guess protection is a must.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
No oral heartworm preventative remains in the system all month. It kills a certain stage of heartworm larva that are in the dog at that time. It is out of the system within days. It works backwards by killing what has previously infected the dog. There is no heartworm prevention that actually prevents the dog from being infected.

The topical prevention in drugs like Advantage Multi do stay in the system.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so should I got with what this current vet uses, the Heartgard, or ask for what we used to give Andy? Interceptor, which is the only thing I am familiar with.

What is the difference bewteen the 2?
Interesting I always thought it kept them from getting heartworm, not killing the worms once they got them. Learn something everyday!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Heartgard's main ingredient is Ivermectin. The dog must chew up the chew to get the medication. They must eat the entire chew. This medication should not be given to dogs with a history of seizures or live problems. Maltese are prone to both of these.
Interceptor's main ingredient is Milbemycin. It is safe for dogs with seizures and safer for dogs with liver problems.
One is not inherently better than the other...but most people with small dogs prefer the size of the Interceptor and the fact that Interceptor has a 2-10 lb dose vs. just an under 25 lb.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
We live in Arizona and I didn't think I needed to because I never gave it to my Mini Schnauzer for the 16 years we had her...but with all the rain we had this year, maybe I should start giving it to him.
I have yet to see a mosquitoe. And as long as I can't see any Alex is not going to be put on ANYTHING. And before that I would try the vinegar/water solution. All I know is since he has not been on anything since we are in Arizona, he has not had another recurrence of staph infection.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have yet to see a mosquitoe. And as long as I can't see any Alex is not going to be put on ANYTHING. And before that I would try the vinegar/water solution. All I know is since he has not been on anything since we are in Arizona, he has not had another recurrence of staph infection.

I dunno if the same is for dogs. But generally the ones that bite people you can't see either. Like the females are the tiny little ones you can't see. Those mosquitos you see don't bite...the females do for the blood for the eggs. But I dunno if it is the same for dogs?? And I dunno how they go about carrying or transmitting heartworm?? But I'm just thinking...just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there right?

But I want to be getting it because we take our pets on vacation to the beach and in the summer we ALL get covered in bites, so I know they are there. And we also have a cabin in north central PA, bug haven deep in the woods, ticks and all. So I want him to be on it, as Andy always was too. I just didn't know about the different brands and about doing it all year or not. But I will ask them about the Interceptor instead of Heartgard...I like the smaller dose idea.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I was just going to ask you what you were going to do, since we both live in AZ. I have not given it to Rocky and was on the fence about it. The only thing I would worry about is taking him near a body of water such as the lakes we have in our town. We had a rainy winter, it may be different this year. I think I'll wait and see...but what's this about the vinegar?

Do you have those crane flies that look like giant mosquitoes? They are driving me NUTS coming in the house every time we open the door.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Amanda I am so glad you did this post... I am reading all the responses and so appreciate some more explanation about the difference between products to use. I am embarrassed to say that I worked at a vet hospital for many years and didn't know that there was a difference between interceptor and heartgard... I will do further research. My experience from working there is that dog owners sadly get the awful news too often that using products only 6-9 months in a year sometimes is the worst mistake since these products only kill the early stages of heartworms and "work" backwards to kill those early stages that are already in the body. Right now in my neighborhood there is a case of heartworms.. I live in southern Iowa where we definitely have winter.. but we also have mosquitoes in November... sometimes early early spring. So most vets here recommend 12 months of preventions. Ask your vet to explain it in detail and maybe they have some phamplets about heartworms.. the prevention is so much less expensive than the treatment if a dog tested positive for adult heartworms. Jeanne

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.