Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:Times">I was just wondering when the appropriate time would be to have our fur babies checked for heartworm and how often are we supposed to have them checked?
</span>

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
In the midwest it is recommend that you give your dog a pill once a month starting in April and ending in November. Each year before starting you need to have your dog tested for heartworms. Some people give there dogs the pills all year because they don't need to get the blood test every year then. I think it is recommend that you have your dog tested every 2-3 years then.

FYI: You can't start this until your dog is at least 16 weeks old.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I got the boys started on heartgard plus right after finishing their puppy shots and every year I need to get the blood test done before I can get a new box of heartgard plus

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
They like to test yearly. I don't see why test if they are on the pills all year round. I let them do it because I stop the pills during the winter months.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
We use Interceptor and we use it all year even though we don't need to I prefer to as it has other protection from gut worms as well but Scooby still has the blood test each year at his annual chech up.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it takes 6 months for a dog to develop heartworm disease, so if the dog hasnt been on prevention then they cant have a positive test until 6mo. and if they were infected at 1 mo then they wont test positive til 7mo. they can look at blood under the microscope to see if there are any immature worms but if u dont see any, it doesnt mean they arent there.

but if a dog takes the heartworm preventative monthly then they only need to be retested once a year. this is done b/c heartworm prevention isnt 100%, but very close to it. it is just a precaution to make sure the dog didnt spit out a pill, or the pill didnt work.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
My Vet does not test every year if the dog has been on year round heart worm pills, he said it isn't necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts