Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a new maltese puppy owner. I bought her from a breeder in Arkansas. She came to me at 12 weeks old 2 pounds 3 onces..Sept.28th??. She was shipped to me in Newark Airport. She is now 4 months olds 3 pounds 7 onces and I have had her ALMOST 2 months now. HER NAME IS CHULITA. :D It feels like she has ALWAYS been a part of my life and family. I have 2 children...a 4 year old Son and a 14 year old daughter. She is of course spoiled rotten by the 3 of us. My husband has not really warmed up to her yet....but that's o.k. she gets over dosed with our attention, hugs and kisses.

I have been reading and reading and reading the many posts on here and have read alot of useful information. The concern I have with my new baby is the tear staining of course.
It's not horrible at all and I have seen some really bad pictures of dogs with tear stains. Her right eye seems to tear alot more than the left. When I am home I try to keep them dry as much as possible with just some paper towel. I already have bought and used Eye Envy. Seems to just lighten the stains and turn them a light pink. It's o.k. but I don't think I will be buying it again once I'm done. I know she is teething so I know to be patience with the staining and wait to see what happens after the teething. Which I believe is until she is 1 years old?? I just bought the Collyrium eye wash today since I have read alot of positive things about it on this website and I feel will be SAFE to use on her since she is still a baby. In terms of corn starch? Is it just plain ol corn starch you get from the super market? Will it be o.k. to use the Collyrium eye wash maybe just one drop per eye per day and then put a little corn startch under her eyes with a baby toothbrush??? I know it shouldn't really matter. But I HATE the look of those tear stains on such an adorable face. :D I just want to use the least abrasive technique on her little stains until she is done teething.

SORRY for such a LOOOOONG INTRODUCTION.
Oh I meant HELLO Everyone...NOT HECK.
LOL

I will get a picture up once I figure it out.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Welcome! Your baby is adorable. I use the eye wash on Paris. I also give her bottled water to drink and she eats/drinks out of stainless steel bowls. A lot of the staining will probably go away after she is finished teething. I know Paris' did.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by paris@Nov 16 2005, 01:15 PM
Welcome!  Your baby is adorable.  I use the eye wash on Paris.  I also give her bottled water to drink and she eats/drinks out of stainless steel bowls.  A lot of the staining will probably go away after she is finished teething.  I know Paris' did.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120194
[/QUOTE]

Thank You....

Chulita drinks Poland Spring Water....LOL We have a Poland Spring Cooler at our house and I bought her the stainless steel bowls as well. I read up on this dog for 4 loooooooong years. My husband was really against getting the dog...but I guess all the nagging and being persistant FINALLY WORKED..because my Little Chuli IS HOME!!! and we love her to death.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by adorableaccentsdogbows.com@Nov 16 2005, 01:26 PM
Warm welcomes fellow New Jersey resident. Glad to have you here.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120200
[/QUOTE]

Thanks!!! I am orginally from Brooklyn...hence the (bklynlatina) screen name. LOL I moved to NJ about 4 years ago. It's still hard for me there. I have no friends or family in New Jersey after 4 years.
I work in New York and get up really early..5:30am and have a 3 hour commute in a day. So it's not easy to make friends. I stay home alot on weekends with my kids and husband. My husband is orginally from New Jersey so he has tons of his friends there. My husband works in Mommouth (sp) that's not too far from you I think? Still not very familiar with New Jersey either. I get lost alllllllllll the time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@Nov 16 2005, 01:32 PM
Hello and welcome!  We suffer from red face around here too, so I know how ya feel.  I considered that eye wash too.  Keep us posted on the progress

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120203
[/QUOTE]

Thank You.. Did you try the Polydenture tablets...that seems like it really worked for alot of people.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by poochiesmom@Nov 16 2005, 02:09 PM

Welcome!! 

Glad you're here!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120217
[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Thanks....ME TOO. I was looking over another fourm and didn't really care for it much. Came across this one and have been on it allllllllll morning reading all kinds of information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to SM, you are going to love it here.
You are right about there being a lot of good info in this forum. I am a newbie too and have been successful in being able to access a wealth of knowledge from a lot of experienced people.

As to your husband warming up to your new baby, he won’t be able to help himself.
We are cattle ranchers and have always had working cattle dogs (Heelers, Border Collies), 4 years ago I rescued a 16 week old Maltese we named Maggie. My husband (being a cowboy) is a little rough around the edges and hated the idea of having a house dog. He tried to resist but it wasn’t long before he gave in. She turned this gruff, hard working cowboy into a softy, Maggie ended up loving him the most and always slept next to him. I’ve only seen my husband cry a couple of times during our 16 year marriage, once when his best horse had to be put down and then when Maggie was killed a couple weeks ago.
Thank goodness we kept one of Maggie’s babies “Timmy”, I know it would have been a lot harder on both of us without him.
Have lots of fun with your little one!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by kcraig6509@Nov 16 2005, 02:26 PM
Welcome to SM, you are going to love it here.
  You are right about there being a lot of good info in this forum.  I am a newbie too and have been successful in being able to access a wealth of knowledge from a lot of experienced people.

As to your husband warming up to your new baby, he won’t be able to help himself.
We are cattle ranchers and have always had working cattle dogs (Heelers, Border Collies), 4 years ago I rescued a 16 week old Maltese we named Maggie.  My husband (being a cowboy) is a little rough around the edges and hated the idea of having a house dog.  He tried to resist but it wasn’t long before he gave in.  She turned this gruff, hard working cowboy into a softy, Maggie ended up loving him the most and always slept next to him.  I’ve only seen my husband cry a couple of times during our 16 year marriage, once when his best horse had to be put down and then when Maggie was killed a couple weeks ago.
  Thank goodness we kept one of Maggie’s babies “Timmy”, I know it would have been a lot harder on both of us without him.
  Have lots of fun with your little one! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120225
[/QUOTE]

I don't know about my husband warming up....I just don't think it's going to happen. I grew up with pets all my life. A Great dane dog, boxer, hamsters, cat, finches, you name it at one point or another I had one or two pets in the house. My husband did not grow up with any pets so I think that is why he is so resistent with Chulita. It's only been close 2 months that we have her (even though as I said I feel like I had her my whole life) he really does not care for her. He is not mean to her at all. I MAKE SURE OF THAT!! But he just pays NO ATTENTION to her and when he comes home and she goes running to him and sitting there for him to give her some attention it really breaks my heart.
I yell over at him..SHE IS WAITING for you to say HI!!! Uggggggggh. Then I will call her over to me and grab her and give her tons of hugs and kisses. I call him the BULLY. I tell her come on Chuli....get away from THAT BULLY. LOL!!!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
[attachment=1078:attachment]

I live in NJ too! It sounds like you live more north than me... I live about 15 mins from Atlantic city. If you do like more north.. there are a few members here that live up that way! Maybe all of you can meet up!

As for the tear staining... Kodie has never had any staining his whole life so far... soo I have nooo experience with that topic at all. I was lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,621 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Welcome!! Chulita is adorable!
Don't worry about the hubby - My hubby was dead set against Abbey, too. He just doesn't care for pets in the house. It was rough at first because he HATED the accidents in the house, and I thought for sure he would make us get rid of her. But now he loves playing with her.
He does get irritated at all her barking which just recently started in the last 3 or so months, so I'm working on it with a squirt bottle. But I know he wouldn't trade her for anything in the world & is even considering letting us get a second one!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Kodie@Nov 16 2005, 02:42 PM
[attachment=1078:attachment]

I live in NJ too!  It sounds like you live more north than me... I live about 15 mins from Atlantic city.  If you do like more north.. there are a few members here that live up that way!  Maybe all of you can meet up!

As for the tear staining... Kodie has never had any staining his whole life so far... soo I have nooo experience with that topic at all.  I was lucky.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120232
[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU.

Never been to Atlantic City. I'm sure my husband has.

Wow REALLY??? No tear staining?? Not even when he was a puppy teething? AMAZING...and very lucky. How old is he now?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Abbey@Nov 16 2005, 02:54 PM
Welcome!!  Chulita is adorable!
Don't worry about the hubby - My hubby was dead set against Abbey, too.  He just doesn't care for pets in the house.  It was rough at first because he HATED the accidents in the house, and I thought for sure he would make us get rid of her. But now he loves playing with her. 
  He does get irritated at all her barking which just recently started in the last 3 or so months, so I'm working on it with a squirt bottle.  But I know he wouldn't trade her for anything in the world & is even considering letting us get a second one!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120237
[/QUOTE]

THANKS..she's my little Muchkin.

Well if you can believe only after having NOT EVEN 2 months I have already tried bringing up the idea of another one. LOL!!!
My husband was like R U KIDDING ME??? It took me 4 years of you NAGGING to finally give in to 1 and your trying to talk to me about another??? LOL!!! I said hey...it does not hurt to try. I wanted another one because I work so Chulita is home from VERY EARLY in the morning (6:50am until my daughter gets home from school 3:00pm) and I just feel horrible about her being home alone. I have her in a play pen with toys, her little crate that she loves to sleep in and her food and water. She is paper trained (pee pee pads).

GOOD LUCK with getting another one!! HOW FUN!!!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by mmo@Nov 16 2005, 02:38 PM
Welcome, I LOVE the name. Nacho sends kisses to Chulita!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120229
[/QUOTE]

LOL!!! THANKS.

My daughter and I worked on a name for her for 2 full days. When I heard that name I KNEW IT WAS THE ONE FOR HER!!!! Everywhere I go people have a hard time pronouncing it. LOL I'm puertorican and I live in an area where there are NOT many spanish people. The groomer had a hard time saying it....LOL

1 - 20 of 52 Posts