Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just checked and it is 100 degrees here in Long Beach, CA!!! I thought this was Fall!! I go back to work and my classroom is going to be an oven because we only have heating, no air conditioning. Doesn't make sense...it is hot more so than it is cold over here.

I just wanted to vent...oh ya, I don't have air conditioning at home either. Yuck!

~Elegant

J

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear it is so hot. Here in Northeast Ohio today is was 80 degrees. I use to live in northern California and even though it would be 90 degrees by 7 am it wasn't humid. The humidity here by Lake Erie is horrible! I want to move so bad to a place that doesn't have this humidity. Someday when I can retire I will. Keep cool, winter will be here soon enough. Here I will have 5 feet of snow and the roads will be covered with ice and you will have sunshine and great weather!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
it was 103 in valencia and my boyfriend said it was like 105 in castaic---and they have the lake!!

elegant--doesnt it bother you that the Queen Mary doesnt allow dogs?! whats up with that?? i soo wanted to take sprite when she was an only dog.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 7 2004, 07:07 AM
it was 103 in valencia and my boyfriend said it was like 105 in castaic---and they have the lake!!

elegant--doesnt it bother you that the Queen Mary doesnt allow dogs?!  whats up with that??  i soo wanted to take sprite when she was an only dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8486
[/QUOTE]

You know, I have never tried to take Chanel to the Queen Mary...the last time I was there I went to my prom in 1994. I heard they have a ghost haunt or something like that over there that I really want to go to!

~Elegant

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lexi's mom: You are my type of girl...lol Can't stand heat either ! We live in good ole Indiana and today it was 80 and tonight it got down to 66...good for sleeping. And...I have the ceiling fan on over our bed.

I absolutely melt
in heat. Have always been a hot blooded woman !

Elegant: Why don't you have air conditioning? Doesn't it get pretty warm in Ca.?
I move very s l o w l y in heat, so I wouldn't get anything done...agh!
Do have a suggestion for you. When I was younger, and we didn't have air, I would get a washcloth and wet it down good and lay it on my stomach. Every so often I would 'fan' it and lay it back on my stomach ! :lol: Hoping I would get to sleep before the washcloth "Dried"......
:lol:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Snerts....hey I'm a fellow Hoosier! I am loving this weather right now. I am about to take the kids to the bus stop and I need a jacket! :D I love fall here....but we do go to Florida in October and it's still low 80's there at that time. If the hurricanes don't take Panama City in their wrath, the water and beach should be great...it seems the more tropical storms they have before we go, the warmer the water is. :lol:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
my dog trainer lives near pasadena and she doesnt have an air conditioner. my brother told me its because its usually cool over there so they didnt install a/c into a lot of the homes or apartments.

we have our a/c on 72º every day and night, our bill was like $142 last month. i didnt think that was a lot---but my sister (who pays the bill) said that its considered a lot.

elegant, i went to the queen mary ghost tour a couple of years ago. it totally freaked me out. and the tourguide would walk us through the hallway, go around a corner and then jump out saying "i was looking for you, walk this way".

we went down by the pool and a broiler room. it was pretty neat. i couldnt imagine staying there though.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Thankfully, we just had a "cold front" come in and cooled San Antonio down to high 80's from mid 90's. We don't turn on the AC until the temp in the house reaches 86. Snertsmom: I do the wet washcloth thing, too, only sometimes I use a hand towel
It really works well. I run it over my arms and legs and wrap it around my neck. Instant AC.

We have two central ac's and turn on the one serving the bedroom around 8 or so and then turn it off at bedtime and use just the ceiling fan. By the time the room would have warmed up without the ac, the night air has cooled enough we can open a window and sleep comfortably. We think utility bill is high at $125 for a 3200 sq foot house so we conserve wherever we can. Our house was built with jalousie windows and situated to catch prevailing breeze which is a blessing also. The drawback to using this natural air conditioning is the amount of Texas dust that comes in......ugh.

I always turn on the ceiling fan over Pico's crate when I put him to bed at night. He is in the coolest area of the house and down on the floor, which is degrees cooler than where I am at 5' 7"!

Surely, Fall is right around the corner!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
our house is only 1300 sq feet. lol. so i guess we are paying a lot. you know what i love?!

those mini air conditioners that you put into the wall or window. my mom had one in our old house, we used to crank it up in the summer and go under the covers and watch movies. my mom would get sooo mad. lol. and then when i was around 12 yrs old she got it taken out. i have no idea why. well, she said it was because it looked ugly. it was brown---but still. it worked sooo well. anyway, thats what i would recommend for anyone who needed something under $200.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
at those brown ugly ac's....we don't have central air (or gator coolers or whatever) here at our house. Our house is really old and so we still use those window air units. I love them b/c it drowns out the outside noise!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 8 2004, 08:28 AM
my dog trainer lives near pasadena and she doesnt have an air conditioner.€ my brother told me its because its usually cool over there so they didnt install a/c into a lot of the homes or apartments.€ 

we have our a/c on 72? every day and night, our bill was like $142 last month.€ i didnt think that was a lot---but my sister (who pays the bill) said that its considered a lot.€

elegant, i went to the queen mary ghost tour a couple of years ago.€ it totally freaked me out.€ and the tourguide would walk us through the hallway, go around a corner and then jump out saying "i was looking for you, walk this way".

we went down by the pool and a broiler room.€ it was pretty neat.€ i couldnt imagine staying there though.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8590
[/QUOTE]

huh??? its not cool over here at all!!! its sooo hot in the summer!! especially during august-october..and since pasadena is surrounded with mountains its more hot .. my house has 3 bedrooms and does have a tiny a/c but we NEVER turn it on but our electric/water bill was 334 dollars! :ph34r: i dont know w hy

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Snertsmom@Sep 7 2004, 08:54 PM
Elegant: Why don't you have air conditioning? Doesn't it get pretty warm in Ca.?
I move very  s  l  o  w  l  y  in heat, so I wouldn't get anything done...agh!
Do have a suggestion for you. When I was younger, and we didn't have air, I would get a washcloth and wet it down good and lay it on my stomach. Every so often I would 'fan' it and lay it back on my stomach ! :lol:    Hoping I would get to sleep before the washcloth "Dried"......
    :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8566
[/QUOTE]

:D Well, I don't have air conditioning right now for two reasons...I live in an area that doesn't get too hot even when it is hot...normally. And second, my boyfriend and I just bought our house last year so we are saving up to get central air and heating
, don't know when that will be, but hopefully soon. Thanks for the washcloth advice...I've been sleeping with one of those cold packs that you put in the freezer to get cold and frozen, then I either keep it in my hands or on my feet...actually, near the feet actually works rather well! I cracked up with your fanning idea...thanks! :lol:

Originally posted by doctorcathy@Sep 8 2004, 05:28 AM
elegant, i went to the queen mary ghost tour a couple of years ago.  it totally freaked me out.  and the tourguide would walk us through the hallway, go around a corner and then jump out saying "i was looking for you, walk this way". we went down by the pool and a broiler room.  it was pretty neat.  i couldnt imagine staying there though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8590
[/QUOTE]

That sounds so fun to me!!!! Did you encounter any real ghostly activity or was it just creepy. I love hearing about ghost happenings, but if it ever happened to me, I think I would totally crap my pants :eek: . Do you believe in ghosts by the way?

I think I am going to start up a new post on that topic right now!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow! You guys are at the same temp we usually are here in LV but have humidity too! Hope you guys are ok! Believe it or not, we actually have been in the 97, 98 degree range now! The other day in my area, we had a bad thunderstorm and actually had hail too! It was small but it is weird to have it. And also what was scary was they reported with that type of storm, cloud tp ground lightning!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts