Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i dont have a maltese as yet but i hope to have one soon. i live in miami and now i have a 6 month old american pittbull and i am looking for a teacup maltese for my wife of 3 years.. so far no luck any help or information to find our dream dog would be wonderful

thank you all for reading

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Welcome. Please spend some time reading some of threads here. There is a lot of good information. By the way, there is no such thing as a teacup maltese. :) Maltese are, by definition, less than 7 pounds.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
By the way, there is no such thing as a teacup maltese. :) Maltese are, by definition, less than 7 pounds.
yup that is true. If you read the breed standard (AKC), it will tell you that as well (4 lb - 7 lb).

If you were reading FCI maltese breed standard, it will be 6.6 lb - 8.8 lb

Personally, I would go with a bit of a bigger maltese considering that I have a big dog already (pitbull) <-- not that I have a pit pup, but I think that is where my direction will be going if I did....but that is just me, of course :)

I wish you all the best in your search to find the best match with your household.

Kat

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
There is no such thing as a "teacup" Maltese. The term is used as a marketing ploy by unscrupulous breeders. If anyone tries to sell you a "teacup" Maltese, run! Chances are you will end up with a Maltese that is very far from the standard, often much larger than the desired 4-7 pounds.

We have some great information pinned in our Breeder's section:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/56-breeders/97845-maltese-breeders-how-find-evaulate.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts